The Chartists and the Lament of George Shell

Time: March 5, 2016 from 7:15pm to 9:15pm
Phone: 01633656679
Event Type: rehearsed, reading, of, a, work, in, progress, script
Organized By: Daniel LLewelyn-Williams
Latest Activity: Mar 3, 2016

Export to Outlook or iCal (.ics)

Event Description

The Chartists and the Lament of George Shell.

“Dear Parents,

I hope this finds you well, as I am at this present. I shall this night be engaged in a glorious struggle for freedom and should it please God to spare my life, I shall see you soon, but if not, grieve not for me. I shall have fell in a noble cause. My tools are at Mr Cecil's and likewise my clothes.

Farewell - Yours truly
George Shell

I wrote this letter the night before I died. In 1839, attempting to overthrow an empire, aged 17. My name is George Shell, I am a carpenter's apprentice and I am a Chartist. ”

Join us for the presentation of a work-in-progress script for a large scale play with songs. It surrounds the events leading up to the ill-fated Chartists’ march on Newport, the last armed uprising on British soil, told from the perspective of the youngest to die that day.

A play about the birth of fairness for the common man and democracy, which also explores the corruption behind an ideal, the infighting and the radicalisation of the innocent.

This is a free event, please reserve tickets at the Riverfront box office. Showing the 5th March at 7.15pm, Studio Theatre, Newport Riverfront.  01633 656679

This is a co production between Newport riverfront and Flying Bridge Theatre Company

Comment Wall

Add a Comment

RSVP for The Chartists and the Lament of George Shell to add comments!

Join National Theatre Wales Community

Attending (2)

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service