Draft Guidelines for Artists Submitting Ideas and Work. Whadya think?

After the joyous madness of the launch, we have been working hard to put some of elements of future years' work in place, before the intensity of being in production takes over. As promised, I've developed a draft policy for new writing/new work and artist development. I'm attaching the whole document here, in the spirit of open feedback and debate, though in the longer term, only the last two pages, the guidelines for writers and artists would be published widely. I'd be interested to hear your comments both on the guidelines themselves and on the ideas and policy behind them. I hope you will see the influence of our hugely stimulating online debate a couple of months ago on the development of these guidelines. All comments, specific and general, are again very welcome; it's particularly helpful to hear which parts just may not be clear to an artist wanting to get in contact with us. I want to publish the finalised guidelines by the year end. Cheers in advance for your responses. J
ps. These guidelines are written with a focus on someone getting in touch with us for the first time, but are also intended to show artists we are already in touch with us how to submit new ideas; and show artists who are already part of our online community, but whose work we have not yet looked at, how to start that processs. j
ps. pLease don't use the guidelines yet to send stuff. When we finalise it all and we are ready to respond we'll let you know (Probably in Jan) Ta J

Views: 60

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

Hi John,

I've just had a read of the draft guidelines - I think they are very clear and accessible. I don't think NTW should go down the traditional 'script-reading' route as presumably that focus should really lie with organisations such as Sherman Cyrmru. So I like the more open apporach you are adopting of responding to work in general - which leaves things open to different individual and collaborative approaches to NTW. I also think the commitmnent to go and see work is excellent - I just hope that's sustainable within given resources!

I think the need to demonstrate a clear link between the artist/work and Wales is vital - otherwise why make the work for NTW. I think the guidelines handle this well - without excluding artists who - for whatever reason - live outside of Wales but are interested and committed to making work in the country. You might need to give some geographical definition to the 'go see' strand of work in this regard.

I suppose the main reservation is that whilst the intial contact being through the online community is a transparent and accessible means of access for many, there will be artists who do not relate to online approaches - perhaps particularly older artists and those who do not have regular online access, or perhaps because of general access issues around disability for example. So, I wonder if there needs to be a 'back-up' alternative methodology of approaching NTW for those who do not (or are not able to) currently engage with Web 2.0 technologies?

But overall, I find these guidelines to be refreshing, encouraging, practical and clear. Well done!

all best, Andrew

RSS

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service