I'm collecting stories about the weather...

I've been meeting people to talk about the weather every time I return to Snowdonia, and so far some of the highlights have been stories of sudden silences falling over a windswept valley, of swans flying in with the sunset, stories of low-slung cottages with 5-foot walls shaking in the wind, stories of snowed in campervans and rain-soaked lambs.

So, who can tell me a story?

Do you have a memory of the weather, here, in Snowdonia?

Can you send me a weather report, a newspaper article, an unexpected forecast?

If you were to sum up the weather in this part of Wales in one word, what would that word be?

Views: 75

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sixteen years old.

Duke of Edinburgh Award Expedition.

A foot of snow on the ground. A blizzard all around. Total whiteout.

One out of the four of us got hypothermia. Kevin not me.

I can still see his lips turning purple. Can still see the fear and confusion in his eyes as he stumbled under the weight of his pack. Can still hear his incoherent ramblings. The acute visual and aural memories that crises create.

Our training kicked in and we got him down safely.

Sausage and beans never tasted so good.
Climbed up Snowdon with an ex-ex-ex boyfriend. We were on holiday camping whilst I was at university. It was summer. We climbed Snowdon mountain. Near the top, where the cafe is, the sky that had been clear blue suddenly became thick cloud. Couldn't see more than 1 meter in front. I had to take my socks off and put them on my hands because it was so cold. I have a photo somewhere where I look like those animals on Star Wars who wear whose cloaks and all you can see are glowing yellow eyes under a dark hood. We walked down through the cloud and it was warm again. We talked about physics and how nuclear bombs work all the way down to the bottom.
Peter, Catherine, thankyou. Purple lips, yellow eyes, socks on hands, beans on sausages, and for both of you that sudden loss of vision. I love this - the ways in which we see the weather, and then, when the weather takes away vision, the ways in which we feel it...

And the ways in which we remember it.

Thankyou.
We spent a week in a car and two tents. We took in The Royal Shakespeare Company, The British Grand Prix, The New Forest, and Snowdon.
Kept on being passed by the narrow-gauge train. Why don't Scottish mountains have this, we thought?
Climbed through mist so thick, it was not far off being underwater. The concept that the underneath bits wouldn't get wet was disproved.
When we got to the point where we were getting tired, we noticed that normally, we'd be being compensated by some kind of view. This made the ensuing push for the summit a little more spiritually draining.
We'd never seen a cafe at the top of a mountain before, and a hot cup of tea in the dry seemed impossibly luxurious, though we still felt unrewarded by our efforts, when suddenly and magically, I noticed the clouds lifting. I swivelled my head round to discover there was a full 360 degree view.
We raced outside and gazed on a plan view of North Wales.
I had never been on top of the biggest thing in sight before, and the view was intoxicating, and none of us has ever forgotten it.
It lasted two whole minutes.
Mine's a bit longer so I attach a file. I hope you are still collecting stories.

First ascent: February 2001. A Greek girl, a Somerset boy and a French Alps boy embark on conquering the tip of Wales. Halcyon days. Clear views. Sun and snow. From Aberystwyth to Snowdonia and back.

Read on

Thanks for letting me share this memory
Attachments:

RSS

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service