Hello,

This came to my attention by the power of Twitter. I'm @ScottySlungLow if any of you are on there. Anyway, thought a few of you might find it interesting/enlightening/infuriating or, as I did, inspiring. Have a read if you have time:

http://www.theatertreffen-blog.de/tt11/artikel-zu/stueckemarkt/skyd...

Cheers,

Scotty

Views: 415

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for this, Scott. Interesting, enlightening and inspiring.

His introduction to his Plays 1 is well worth a butcher's too if you haven't already read it.

M

http://www.guardian.co.uk/stage/theatreblog/2011/may/10/noises-off-...

I'm still mulling over what Stephens is trying to say but I think the second point he makes is one that is completely accepted by some British playwrights I know, and completely rejected by others of my acquaintance, no matter what they might say publicly. There are a fair few who would agree with what Edward Albee has to say about directors and actors in an interview linked in the above blog.

I think plays are ultimately multi authored, but he went to Germany to find this out?

Point five has nothing to with us Taffs I guess.

Yes Mathew: interesting/enlightening/infuriating
Scotty,
I don't have to say what I think about that, you already know I am a continent mongrel.
I agree with everything Simon writes and add that directors in the UK don't do Art school but study English so there is a tendency to make "Literature in costume".
Simon Stephens continues to provoke thought and discussion with his articles, his talk and his plays. I went to a workshop that he ran in Bristol and it was the most stimulating workshop I've ever done - 2 hours felt like two days of input. As for this speech, it should inform some of our thinking about Welsh Theatre and Theatre-in-Wales: in the battle to find and assert identity, we must also be receptive to the outside. The boundaries or borders between inside and outside (Welsh /British / European / World)are ultimately constructs of power and perception, aren't they?

RSS

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service