Last year I had a one minute play performed in a festival in Noo Yawk, so here's a (borrowed) idea: a writers' self-indulgence, sorry - festival, of very short works where the only thing in common from one piece to the next is a limited number of key stroke characters [stage directions and musical annotations included]. The compendium of works would be an extraordinary clash of ideas... A play with 200 characters, anybody?

Views: 688

Replies to This Discussion

Sounds like an interesting experiment Terry. Would be keen to get involved if it comes to fruition.
Inspired by a single reply (thank you, Matthew) I have just taken up the challenge to write a piece in 200 characters - including the title, stage directions and all punctuation. It's quite exciting. In 199 characters I have just managed an entirely unexpected domestic drama called A2B.
If enough writers can spare 200 considered characters then it may well be something to take foreward. If not, I've got this weird little piece that's not a comedy sketch lurking on my desktop.
200 characters. I dare you.
TVx
Hi Terry, just catching up on posts... reckon you've got your first taker... will be in touch when first draft complete!
Ah, the joy of lex. I confess to using a heart symbol to hit the target; contextually, of course, it was the right symbol for the right character. Enjoy the discipline, Peter.
TVx
As soon as Peter's succeeded with the 200 characters challenge I'll claim a groundswell of support for this singular notion & start nagging other writers generally & individually. Don't blame me - JMc suggested this marketing strategy. TVx
[the above message contains 200 characters]
OK. Start counting.

200 Characters

Curtain reveals 200 characters rejoicing in a local festival.
Over four acts, they begin to prosper, cease to inter-act, to care or to vote.
Eventually, when nobody talks to anyone, civilisation quietly falls.

Curtain.

Stop counting.
With apologies to Karl Kraus.
A pitch, maybe outline would be better, in 188 characters (yes I counted them; how anal is that?)is impressive but it aint a play. If you get to a stage where 'Eventually, when nobody talks to anyone..." there's got to be some dialogue first. TVx
I'm still chipping away at mine, Terry. Fear not. Apologies for the prolonged silence!
Good to know it's alive. I had an informal meeting at the Royal Court this week and mentioned the 200 character idea. There is an enthusiam to spread the idea to other writers - so who knows?
I reckon if 30 writers take it up we have got an hour's extraordinary curate's egg of a theatre event.
So, that's 200 characters - excluding spaces. The space was there already. Go for it.
Anyone else?
TVx
I am getting into this. I have now completed a second 200 character piece. Totally different to the first. It won't make me rich but it's a very satisfying way to capture an idea or a moment. TVx
Here it is Terry, title and all in 200 characters...

ICEMEN.

Sc 1

They’re over the border.

How long can we hold out?

Six days.

And then?

Ice will fall.

Sc 2

Six days later.

Fight and die? Or lick vodka boots?

Sc 3

Answer her.

No.

Drink him now.

Sc 4

Fire.

Vodka shots ring out.

The Icemen burn.

Curtain.
Wonderful stuff. I have been trying to post one of mine but the system is confused by italics and symbols... I shall try to upload it as a file. TVx
Attachments:

RSS

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service