Is the NTW Community mainly made up of professionals working in the creative arts and theatre industry? Is it an industry network? But what about audience members?

1. Do audience members who don't work in the theatre industry but love to come, watch and experience theatre, do they have a place in the NTW Community?

2. What could we do to encourage and attract audience members to join the NTW community? Or should we?
Aderoju Akindeinde, Eva Ling, Wei Liu, and myself are exploring these questions as part of a student marketing project with NTW and we'd love your thoughts.

Smiles
Kelly, Ade, Eva and Wei.
:-)

Views: 325

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There really are some nonsense, non thought out comments on here.

On the subject of the debate that is currently raging - The real answer is YES and NO.

Its amazing to see how those who are closest to the woods cannot see the trees!

John – I applaud what you are trying to do, however – having worked in advertising for over 12 years, I can assure you that this community blog (as it stands) is not going to advertise, promote, or encourage the theatre to anyone but those who already know about or frequent it!

There will always be a divide between those who have a career within theatre and those who watch or are just curious about theatre.

From past experience, online professional forums are needed by professional people for discussion and advice. As seen on many professional social/blog sites, the career individuals will stray away from the site if non professionals are seen to ‘invade’.

So, would it not be a more lasting solution if there were 2 sections to the community site – so that career theatre people (having registered as such) can mix and advise each other in one section, and those who frequent the theatre as part of an audience (or anyone else for that matter) can post points of view on performances etc in another ?

It also seems to me that theatre companies are terribly bad at promoting themselves to their prospective audiences. I.M.H.O. - If it is to stay, the community section needs a complete re design! – its cold, UN-INVITING, complicated, unreadable in places (due to colour), disorganised and a mess!

Make it simple to engage people and nurture their interest.
That is a very well considered version of what I am trying to get at Kelly, apologies to Angharad for my choice of words and any confusion.
Isn't networking one of the main aims of a community, essential to its very meaning?
You are talking about theatre. I'm talking about theatre. Others are talking about theatre... and aren't we all having fun?!
I'd like to see this sort of conversation thrive on Facebook!
Don't you just love a good old debate? Going to have a cuppa to calm the nerves now!!!!

No need to apologise as I know exactly where you are coming from Stephen. I am NO expert, but there is just something about this community site that isn't 'community' at the moment. That is just my gut instinct talking.

You can analyse and theorize things till the cows come home, recite statistics and your ning and nongs at me(sorry Kelly had to get that one in....LOL...), but there is something quite off putting about it in my opinion. It is just not user friendly, unless you NEED to use it like we do.

THIS IS ONLY MY HUMBLE OPINION.
Love a good debate and ALL opinions ... off for a cuppa myself! :-))
Hi everyone,

I'm a doctoral student at Aberystwyth University performing research into National Theatre Wales' audiences. This thread is really interesting, and relevant to my research, so I thought I'd post a quick bit of info about my project in case anyone would like to share their thoughts on NTW for an academic study:

http://www.ntw-research.org.uk

Very few academic projects have been interested in talking to audiences about what they think and feel about theatre. This general problem becomes a really significant one when a company is trying to do something innovative, like NTW. I have prepared a quick online questionnaire to find out who is actually attending NTW's shows and what they think of them. It doesn’t matter who you are, what age or where you live: as long as you have seen at least one NTW show I am interested in hearing from you. The questionnaire will only take a few minutes to complete, and you will be making a huge contribution to this research and to a field of study which up until now has been neglected. And if you've seen more than one show then please feel free to share your thoughts on as many of NTW's productions as you like!

Thanks,

Kirsty
Kirsty,

Many thanks for your interest in this discussion. If you read the 'entire' thread you will see i posted a link to your survey earlier, having become aware of it at one of the shows, and am all for supporting academic research that is in the interest of the community.

However, I've noticed you are spamming the community with 'survey solicitation' notices everywhere. I wouldn't encourage this on the scale you are doing it, from both a ethical point of view and methodological considerations for your study. Consider writing a blog post about your study, your work, inclusive of interests, adviser etc. Also why not participate in the discussion around theatre, audiences and National Theatre Wales - given your' work we'd be interested in hearing your views, or the views of the academics you are drawing from in your study.

I was a little perplexed by your statement 'Very few academic projects have been interested in talking to audiences about what they think and feel about theatre.' I actually have found quite the contrary, but maybe we are reading in different circles. I've gone through your questionnaire, and it appears to be more an attendance register with 'interests' coded, and provides little insight or depth enough for what I would consider for an academic contribution to knowledge relative to 'theatre audience behaviour' or 'discourse'. That said I am in the dark about what discipline, theories or knowledge from which you are drawing.

So can you share a little bit more about your research, study etc. Am sure others in the community would also be interested on your thoughts.

Smiles
Kelly
hi kelly,

i am one of those – an audience member who doesn't work in the theatre industry, who merely has contact with people from this industry, who came across ntw by pure luck and who doesn't even live in wales, in short a complete outsider.

1) for me the ntw community site is an open door, welcoming and inviting everybody to join and have a look around. it's a chance to have a view behind the ntw productions – before, during and after the shows and the process of creation, a true treasure hunt, very rewarding, interesting and diverse.

i really like the sites 'access all areas approach', no pre-censored content with standard target-group offerings based on marketing strategies, but an authentic way of communication and a possibility to keep updated and in touch even when not able to see the shows.

the content develops and evolves naturally based on the ntw programme and community members, driven by interest and love for the matter itself, private curiosity and professional necessity, value in the source of information and a colourful peak behind the scenes. thus it is as diverse as the community members, which only adds to it's charm.

the forums and special interest groups bring together the relevant people, respectively professionals – anyone who is not really in the matter will sooner or later leave these circles naturally due to lack of interest and contributions, so no need to pre-select the community members and divide the access into professionals and non-professionals.

2) as the content and user friendliness of this site have a major impact whether people from outside, e.g. audience members want to join or not, the trigger will mostly be the ntw programme itself.
someone who has experienced a good, inspiring, thoughtful, entertaining, moving production does not want to let it all end when the curtain falls. as with other arts, like music or literature many want to learn more about the background, the author and actors, the development, script, rehearsals, the future and so on.

a site like this feeds these interests perfectly. many will probably primarily consume the content and be a less active member (like me), but nonetheless they can still feel welcome, part of the community and develop a steady interest in the ntw (...not everybody writes readers letters after reading a newspaper or sends e-mails to the tv editors).

special show-related websites already complement the community site, like ourbridgend.com for 'love steals us from loneliness'. they serve as an additional way to raise interest in ntw and also invite audience or potential viewers on a different level to join the community.

if ntw's overall aim is to attract more 'non-theatre professionals' to join the community, why not pick up the people where they are – in the audience. set up terminals in the location of the ongoing show and invite the audience to join the ntw community before or after the show. hosts can guide people through the registration process, a picture is taken and added sur place and the new member receives a welcome to the ntw community package/brochure. this should take away some of the technical or emotional barriers to join.

with regard to the user friendliness of this site, i cannot complain. without ever having blogged, twittered or facebooked before i had no difficulties in signing up and finding my way through the pages. the structure is easy to understand, even for non-internet or theatre experts, and also non native speakers like me.

please let the content itself guide the members to decide where to join or read, and don't patronise anybody interested by limiting access to the content by 'strategic marketing' decisions and closed user groups.

however, in the end it's ntw's decision what their overall mission is and what they want to achieve with this community site, whom they want to address, with what content and in which way. from what I have learned so far I trust in ntw's core principles, their genuine attitude and am looking forward for all their future developments.
Andrea,

Fantastic post. Really interesting insight into what the community and NTW online network mean to you, and how you see yourself in/amongst the community. I agree that communities likes this, it's important to let the content and participants in the discourse guide and co-create it's purpose and direction.

This was a vision and initiative started and hosted by NTW, but like you indicate, their ethos, principles and genuine attitude, I think would overcome any attempts for 'traditional' marketing tactics, that aren't suited for this space and the people within it. Society is/has moved on in so many ways, it's refreshing to find an organisation like NTW who gets that. That said, let's hope Ning, the architecture behind it respect their view of community.

As for being a complete outsider, remember you are part of the community, that's what's so great about it ... it doesn't matter where you live, work or how you see the world, you are part of NTW and its' journey.

Smiles
Kelly
Of course audience members are and should be part of the NTW community, what other reason could there be for a theatre companies existence? Those who wish there to be a divide between the audience and the professional in any area other than performance do the arts a disservice. Todays audience is no different to others in a relatively small place like Wales and I remember many years ago realising that if it weren't for the Cardiff arts community there would be no Cardiff audience. When was the last time anyone here went to a Welsh event/show/performance and was the only practitioner in the audience? Never, I suggest.

The site will evolve and grow if it succeeds and the technical people will inhabit tech city, the "artistes" check out the "arts" topics and the audience, like all other human beings, will go to the bits that give them whatever it is that intrigues, interests and pays them for their visit. That is why it has the possibilities of any other community, I don't have to talk to ALL my neighbours.

Thought I’dgive my tuppence worth. I work in the arts yes, but I consider myself to be anaudience member. The NTW productions I’ve seen and have booked to see in thefuture have been because I want to see them, not as some sort of networkingevent! I did Drama and English at Uni so I’ve looked at Theatre from apractical and academic side, I work in an administrative role at National DanceCompany Wales so I’ve seen many Dance productions as an ‘industry person’ butall the while I still love watching theatre so my personal, primary reason forbeing on this community is to find out about NTW productions, ideas,opportunities etc.

I think itdepends on the audience member as to whether they have a place in thiscommunity – I invited my brother to join (which he did) and he’s thrilled withit – he’s a professional actor so it’s useful and interesting on a professionallevel of course but he also enjoys watching new work and being an audiencemember. He came with me to Brecon to see The Persians and said it was the bestpiece of theatre he could remember seeing for a long time – engaging,innovative, powerful – it felt like being part of an event rather than a cosynight at a theatre with some batty lady spilling her murray mints all over you.

A differenttype of audience member would be someone like my mum – I’ve taken her to seelots of contemporary dance, theatre etc. She’s the first to admit “I don’t knowwhat was going on but it was very pretty” and she loves a good play. Whenever I’vebeen booking tickets for a NTW show and asked if she wants to join she’s veryenthusiastic, talks about the work afterwards and looks forward to more. BUTshe’d never engage with this community in this way as she doesn’t use theinternet, or computers or a smart phone. She’s only in her early 50s but herwork has never required her to use technology and she’s got no interest inlearning! She’s an audience member but this isn’t an appropriate forum for hersimply because she’d not even be able to use a mouse, let alone navigate herway around. But it doesn’t matter – she’s still part of the real life communityof audience members who have engaged with NTW at a real life performance or 2or 3.   

RSS

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service