So, we have 30 potential projects for our launch year's Theatre Map of Wales. All sorts of collaborations with all sorts of artists and companies have been discussed, and some have even entered the first stages of development. But there are no definite decisions yet. While it would be unfair on the artists involved to start some sort of online vote, it would be great to hear people's opinions on the range of work they would like to see: gritty realism? dance theatre? vaudeville? Welsh classics rediscovered? And where should the work take place? Do you have strong opinions about where in Wales we should put shows on? A particular location? Or a part of the country that shouldn't get missed out this time?

We will be staging twelve shows in twelve months - one a month every month; each in a different location, and each a different kind of theatre. Your opinions on what kind of work you would like to see and where will help us come to our decisions. Oh, and in case you are worried about the 18 project we can't do - don't worry, some of them will be ready for the following year!

Views: 1218

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm based in Newport and totally agree. Have been dying to do something with the Transporter Bridge for ages.
Tell me more.
Hey Matthew - did you ever see 'Mark of the Man' - sorry I think that was the name of the play - set on the Transporter Bridge and I think written by a Newport playwright?
...do you know the bridge John? It's located in the Pill/Industrial area of Newport - a really beautiful piece of architecture that seems to have so much history attached to it and provokes great debate and strength of feeling in Newport?
I didn't see that play, Stacey. Where was it performed?
It was peformed at The Sherman Theatre last June. I just did a search via Theatre Wales here is some info;

'In contrast, the second play, ‘The Mark of the Man’, written by Greg Glover, is a grittier production and set during the tumultuous era of the 1984 Miners Strike. It tells the story of three desperate miners who take control of the Newport Transporter bridge unaware of how their personal lives will eventually clash with their political aims. ‘The Mark of the Man’ is directed by Ian Staples, with Brian Hibbard, (The Flying Pickets, Coronation Street), Gareth Potter, (EastEnders, Torchwood) and bright new talent, Aled Wyn Thomas, in the main roles.'
I think that there are some great locations in the Welsh Valleys and they also have a strong mining heritage, which could be something to look at. Aberdare, Pontypridd?
Ben.
Cheers Ben. Can I ask you and everyone else a follow up question? People respond very strongly to the idea of us doing work about mining. Some people say it's absolutely essential that we deal with the subject, others that it is a cliché of how people see Wales and should be avoided. What do you think?
I think don't think it's a cliché, I think we should embrace it, but, only if done properly.

Wales has a variety of 'cliché' that we could either use or not, in future theatre projects. What I think is important, is how we deal with an issue, especially something like 'mining'.

The possibilities are endless, do you stage it in a working mine, i.e 'The Big Pit', or do you stage it in a theatre, using different methods to convey it across through AV, SFX and of course, quality writing.

Do you set it back in the past, the present or a possible 'credit crunch/mining' Welshology (

I personally would love to see this issue tackled - but only in the right way.
...yeh that's a tricky one isn't it! I think its very important to avoid cliche but at the same time not shy away or ignore the obvious things that make Wales, Wales...easier said than done though I know....
Hm you do get lots of (usually comic) new welsh writing about rugby lads/ John Toshack and Swansea football and also about mining... it is sort of "done" a lot isn't it? It would be good to find something else? Only a thought..
Thanks all for this fantastic debate on the mining question. It's given me loads to think of. Here's another cliché question related to mining. I've been reading Gwyn Thomas's stories. I know for a lot of people who went to school in Wales the two Thomases are over-set texts, but I've found Gwyn Thomas's stories absolutely full of life and theatre. (I have been reading the three stories collected in Library of Wales as 'The Dark Philosophers'). They are of course set in mining villages not in the big historical events though, but in the day to day dramas. Can people see this work on stage?
Hi John

I would like to agree with Chris about representing artists from diverse backgrounds but also would like to add the inclusion and encouragement for audiences who have traditionally perceived some sort of barrier to participation whether that be disability, age, financial issues, location and so on. And I also love the idea of using non traditional performance spaces- some outdoor spaces too.
It would be good to see a mixture of styles too- some experimental, some traditional so the you are appealing to not just "theatre going" audiences but also Welsh people who don't usually have contact with the arts.

Hmmmm
Beth

RSS

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service