So, we have 30 potential projects for our launch year's Theatre Map of Wales. All sorts of collaborations with all sorts of artists and companies have been discussed, and some have even entered the first stages of development. But there are no definite decisions yet. While it would be unfair on the artists involved to start some sort of online vote, it would be great to hear people's opinions on the range of work they would like to see: gritty realism? dance theatre? vaudeville? Welsh classics rediscovered? And where should the work take place? Do you have strong opinions about where in Wales we should put shows on? A particular location? Or a part of the country that shouldn't get missed out this time?

We will be staging twelve shows in twelve months - one a month every month; each in a different location, and each a different kind of theatre. Your opinions on what kind of work you would like to see and where will help us come to our decisions. Oh, and in case you are worried about the 18 project we can't do - don't worry, some of them will be ready for the following year!

Views: 1218

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

PS are we allowed to know what the potential projects are? Is it too late to consider new ones or is it now "closed"?
- Cathedrale Cave http://www.showcaves.co.uk/cathedralcave.html

- The old natwest bank complete with counter tops and panelling on Bute Street, Cardiff Bay.

- The old trackbed of the railway that once connected Penarth to Cadoxton and Barry Island and was closed by the Beeching Axe is now a cycle path from the Archer Road rail bridge to Lavernock.

- The unused units at the top of the new shopping centre.

- The stone circle in Bute Park.

- Penarth cliffs, or near them, in the Billy Banks abandoned housing estate, but then I'm always a sucker for failed social housing projects. http://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main/showthread.php?t=10610
The unused St Davids units, of which there are going to be several, sound a good idea to me - plenty of passers by and I wouldn't be surprised if the owners of the new centre would rather hire out their spaces very cheaply than leave them all empty and credit-crunchy.

I like the idea of a venue on the move, as in a train (provided you could keep clear of it if you just wanted to read) or a ferry or something, though they'd have to be very brief narratives.

And that weird little amphitheatre behind the marina in Swansea. Always wondered what that was for.
I love Billy Banks! My parents' first house was there! Great idea, especially since Penarth Regeneration seem intent on tearing them down to do what...? Build more luxury flats? Is that really what we need there?
hey i don't suppose you have any historical information on the billy banks do you? :)
I am exhausted and elated by this imaginary tour of Wales. Thanks Ellie, Michael, Adele, Sam, Bethan, Peter et al. If anyone is keen enough to take me on a tour to some of these spaces and places at some point in the summer, let me know!
Count me in for a tour John. I have a clean driver's licence and a nose for a decent cup of tea and a piece of cake!
It's not closed yet Beth, but we have to make decisions by the end of the summer, so we are starting to focus in on some of the more likely prospects. The key thing has always been that we don't want proposals - we want to have conversations with artists who might be ready to dream of something new and unexpected to us and them. We have been meeting artists and in some case sending them off on 'Creative Trips' to develop their ideas a bit more. It would be a bit difficult to publish a list as the process with artists is delicate and personal, but this forum is helping a lot as we try to focus on what is most important when we have too many good ideas to consider!!
Hi John have you had any conversations with set designers, costume designers, puppet makers, etc etc ?
Guy
Some Guy, but am keen to hear from more. J
of course, I hope I asn't being too probing. Just interested to see the range and diversity.. v exciting.
No worries Beth, you should be probing. I want to be as open as possible, just sometimes you have to be sensitive to people's confidentiality too. will let you know as much as possible as soon as we can!

RSS

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service