So, we have 30 potential projects for our launch year's Theatre Map of Wales. All sorts of collaborations with all sorts of artists and companies have been discussed, and some have even entered the first stages of development. But there are no definite decisions yet. While it would be unfair on the artists involved to start some sort of online vote, it would be great to hear people's opinions on the range of work they would like to see: gritty realism? dance theatre? vaudeville? Welsh classics rediscovered? And where should the work take place? Do you have strong opinions about where in Wales we should put shows on? A particular location? Or a part of the country that shouldn't get missed out this time?

We will be staging twelve shows in twelve months - one a month every month; each in a different location, and each a different kind of theatre. Your opinions on what kind of work you would like to see and where will help us come to our decisions. Oh, and in case you are worried about the 18 project we can't do - don't worry, some of them will be ready for the following year!

Views: 1218

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Victoria. Will definitely put that idea into the pot.
This is so brilliant and if there is still room for more artists/companies to be involved and new ideas/opinions - any chance we could come in for a chat?
ELise ( the other half of Taking Flight!)
I agree with so many of these posts - to emphasise the heritage of wales - through looking at the mining subject, there are also - as mentioned - a wealth of potential adaptations from Welsh writers, a cult twist on a classic tale is always refreshing but I feel there is also some mileage in looking at more modern, cut throat issues in Wales today - work that will attract the 'holy grail' of theatre goers (16-25yr olds) - not in an 'issue based' way but certainly tackling issues that young people would find relevant and exciting. And of course as a woman - plays with strong roles for women are always lacking, as are roles for disabled artists. As far as style goes - as a Commedia practicioner and Physical Theatre Facilitator and performer I am keen to see work that is not just naturalistic or from the 'neck up'. It's so exciting that this is happening...sorry re read all that and is very vague - so full of ideas and excitement its hard to write it all down!!

Locationwise - there are so many beautiful sites in this country - west Wales is a haven of lovely sites - I am a particular fan of site specific work and am inspired by landscapes and areas of manmade or natural beauty to inspire art - we are blessed in this country to have so many areas of natural beauty and so many stories /folklore attached to them.....anyway enough waffle from me

Have fun
Not waffle at all Elise. Loads of ideas and thoughts in there. Are there particular areas of West Wales that you would suggest? And who are the physical theatre artists who inspire you?
Sorry i'm new to the site so im not sure what projects NTW have come up with, but it would be great to have a mixture of small and intimate shows that took place for example in someones house to quite large scale sensory explosive shows in an abandoned factory(...although performing in odd venues comes with Health and safety issues).
Hi John,
Back in the days of Michael Bogdanov & Mike Pennington's ESC I was a local supporter of the company. Once a year they set up a travelling theatre group taking a themed night out to smaller venues that couldn't take the big shows yet still had a wish to see 'Classical' theatre, mainly centred on Shakespeare. One of them, Enemy to the People dealt with Shakespeare and Revolution from the Roman Plays and dir by Tim Carroll. No sets, basic furntiure and allowing the text to speak. I still have the work pack and programme from when they played the old Theatre Cwmtawe in Pontardawe leisure centre.
The beauty of this was the size of it; no venue was too small, or too big.
Also another, I think it was the ESC, may have been the RSC, featured during the evening a classic sequence: the curses in Shakespeare. God, they can be juicy!

In these days of financial straits, not everyone can afford theatre tickets in the major theatres. The RNT has a £10 ticket scheme, but that involves travel to London, or Cineworld for the link-up once every so often.

Perhaps taking smaller productions of new and classical plays out to areas where theatre hasn't been in ages, is a way of attracting more people back to theatre; maybe so far as stimulating and inspiring them to form their own small groups, even if only for play reading, and become associated with National Theatre Wales.
One idea that has come to mind is along the lines of something in which I was involved back in 1985 as part of the St Endelion Festival in Cornwall.
At that time they had a drama aspect to the festival as well as music, and I wa spart of a company that staged A Man For All Seeasons in the grounds of three National Trust properties: Lanhydrock, Trerice and Cotehele Castle. They were performed in the open air, along the lines of the Everyman Theatre Festival in St Fagan's, with the houses as backdrops to the performances. The final performance was inside the Collegiate Church of St Endelienta, a Norman Church; almost taking theatre back to its roots.
Would this be possible to consider in Wales? I know the climate isn't generally condusive to open-air theatre as such, and properties may be few and far between, but places like Neath Abbey ruins, though not a NT property, that have just hosted a performance of Midsummer Night's Dream are so atmospheric, it's almost a crime NOT to use them!
Thanks Stephen. Yes we are definitely considering outdoor work. And I am already having nightmares every time it rains in the summer!!
Paid a visit to Tintern Abbey a few weeks back for the first time in years. Now there's a venue waiting for a show.
The suggestions all sound amazing. I totally agree with Sam Burns about the possibility of a 'moving' performance on a train, or bus, doesn't the traws camria bus travel from the south up to the north? That would be fantastic! with the narrative relating in some way to the location, it would be a literal cultural map of Wales.

Plus I was thinking about the Welsh outside Wales. Those who went to Patagonia in 1865 for example, what they faced during their journey and after arriving at their new 'promised land' is a fantastic example of the struggle, strength and perseverance of the Welsh!

On another note, I think diversity is also a major consideration. I recently did a project with asylum seekers in Wales and during our performances it was sadly like preaching to the converted. There are so many nationalities, backgrounds and languages that should now be considered Welsh, but I think that little attention is paid to the new changing face of Wales. It would be great to see some of the old and also some of the new.

RSS

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service