Information

NTW17 - A Provincial Life

One of Wales' greatest writers and directors, Peter Gill, returns to his native city with a portrait of provincial life in 1890s Russia.

Based on Chekhov's poignant short story, A Provincial Life follows one young man's struggle to exchange his privileged position for the life of a worker.  This painful, lyrical play dramatises the search for equality in a way that resonates deeply today.

Website: http://nationaltheatrewales.org/whatson/performance/ntw17
Members: 76
Latest Activity: Oct 7, 2015

We've Storified the journey of NTW17 A Provincial Life, and collated Tweets and other content to do with the show. It will be updated right through the process and be available after the show to look back on the production. 

View it here

Discussion Forum

This group does not have any discussions yet.

Comment Wall

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of NTW17 - A Provincial Life to add comments!

Comment by Lucy Davies on February 8, 2012 at 10:12

am on the train home from a production meeting - samovars and wigs were key themes - and shotguns

Comment by Matt the Hat on February 7, 2012 at 5:21

Comment by Jen Thornton on February 7, 2012 at 3:20

The Ensemble had their first rehearsal day on Saturday. They took a minibus to London and spent the day working with Peter Gill and the cast. 

In these videos, Abi and Claire tell us what they're looking forward to about the day, and John talks, on the way home, about his experience working with Peter. 

Abi and Claire: 

John: 

Comment by Matt the Hat on February 6, 2012 at 1:51

Over the next few weeks I'll 5 of these a day, they are Alison Chitty (Designer) research material they are blue tacked to the wall in the rehearsal room providing

inspiration and setting the scene.

Comment by ryan james nolan on February 5, 2012 at 3:35

hey all,

so, yesterday was the first day of the ensemble for NTW17 A Provincial Life and i was in absolute awe of all the amazing acting talent present. during the read through i think i just sat there with my mouth hanging open. such a privilege to see such artistic skill from everyone. if things keep going as well as they did on saturday then i can guarantee its going to be brilliant. it was my first time meeting Peter Gill too and witnessing his brilliance. the man is a genius as well as being a really nice man too. i found it truly inspiring to see such a master at work. watching the vision take shape is fascinating. i cannot wait to watch it progress and grow into the outstanding performance that i know its going to be!

Comment by Matt the Hat on February 2, 2012 at 6:33

Day three of rehearsals and I took so cheeky snaps of the read through, no shots of the model box though as that would be a spoiler. I did manage to take a pic of the amazing 70's disco ball hanging from the roof. I am not sure if Peter had asked for it to be installed specifically or if the cast and crew are using it for evening entertainment. 

Comment by Jen Thornton on February 2, 2012 at 0:19

Rehearsals for A Provincial Life started this week, and members of the staff team went to meet the cast and creative team on Monday morning. The day started with the cast (along with members of the staff team) learning a Russian folk song and some dances from the period. 

Don't forget, you can keep up with rehearsal and production updates throughout the process in this group and by searching #NTW17 on Twitter. 

Learning a Russian folk song: 

Comment by ryan james nolan on January 28, 2012 at 2:12

Hey all, 

first meeting with everybody yesterday went very well i think :) everyone seems really nice. im hugely excited about it all now and cant wait to get going with it. looking forward to our next gathering! x

Comment by Sam coombes on January 6, 2012 at 9:38
Hi Julia i don't know if you have received my email I am available on Sunday afternoon until around 1530 if that's ok thanks julia
Comment by Julia Thomas on January 3, 2012 at 11:56

I have added this blog regarding 'A Provincial Life'

http://community.nationaltheatrewales.org/profiles/blogs/in-search-... 

Members (73)

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service