The Radicalisation of Bradley Manning

Information

The Radicalisation of Bradley Manning

One of the most important political stories of our time - Bradley Manning, the US soldier accused of leaking thousands of military cables to Wikileaks - brought to life in this award-winning production by the UK's most exciting new national company.

'A viscerally exciting piece of theatre' (Guardian).

**** (Daily TelegraphIndependent on Sunday, TheArtsDesk.com, Western Mail).

The Radicalisation of Bradley Manning was first staged across Wales in April 2012 and will be remounted at the 2013 Edinburgh Festival Fringe. 

See the show at: 

Pleasance at St Thomas of Aquin's High School,

Chalmers St, Edinburgh EH3 9ES

6th - 25th August 2013

Members: 98
Latest Activity: Aug 3, 2018

This group is here for people interested in, involved in and affected by the play The Radicalisation of Bradley Manning. Join in and contribute as we develop the play further and re-stage our artistic response to his story, and his relationship with Wales. 

You can read a blog post by TIm Price on why he wanted to tell this story here.

Click here to see our Storify Story of tweets and other content around the first staging of The Radicalisation of Bradley Manning.

We're updating a Storify Story around the 2013 remounting, and you can see that here.   

----------

This play is a fictional account which has been inspired by a true story. The incidents, characters and time lines have been changed for dramatic purposes. In some cases fictitious characters and incidents have been added to the plot, and the words are those imagined by the author. The play should not be understood as a biography or any other factual account. 

Discussion Forum

This group does not have any discussions yet.

#NTWBradley Twitter feed

Loading… Loading feed

Comment Wall

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of The Radicalisation of Bradley Manning to add comments!

Comment by Lindi Carter on May 26, 2012 at 11:25

Just wanted to say HELLO to everyone again on the day Bradley has been in prison for 2 YEARS...and some updates.

We'll be outside the Supreme Court London for the verdict on Julian Assange's extradition challenge on Weds 30th first thing. The verdict will have a huge impact whichever way it goes - on extradition, Julian himself, and, potentially, how the whole WikiLeaks/Brad saga plays out.

Bradley's back in court 6th - 8th June for another 'motion' hearing.

Bradley's Defence report that the Death Penalty cannot now be applied.

There has been a legal challenge from various parties including WikiLeaks to petition that the Judge be forced to increase transparency, which she has hitherto refused to do; the level of secrecy in the case exceeds that even for  high level 'terrorist' trials at Guantanamo.   

Amnesty's 2012 Human Rights report contains a timely reminder of Bradley's  “cruel conditions of isolation.” which is reported (amongst other things) by wales on line yesterday http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/2012/05/26/amnesty-int... 

This from the Guardian on the 24th which is good: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/may/24/bradley-manning-militar...

There's three other productions I'm aware of - a Chicago Theatre School did something earlier in May - 'I am Bradley Manning', and people are planning on doing something based on the chatlogs out of the WikiLeaks truck - 'Bradass87' see http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/104261?c=home, for info and crowd funding,

And then over here, The Molino Group are putting on 'Desert' in Exeter at the Bike Shed Theatre June 20th - 23rd http://www.bikeshedtheatre.co.uk/whats-on/desert-by-the-molino-group/ and we'll be collaborating on some stuff, with after show Q and A, flyers, info on the campaign as we did with ntw18 etc, and aiming to mark the 6th - 8th June hearing with something in Exeter that takes in both the campaign and the play. So, if anyone's gonna be in the south west of england get in touch!

And the US actions planned for 6-8 June at Obama campaign offices, and at Fort Meade, include a dramatic reading of parts of the chat logs based on an arrangement we devised for our last event in Wales. 

So it's all going performance!

And finally, to say thanks again - the vivid images of you all, the script, the set and the direction have so helped (me, personally, anyway) to keep Brad and the issues not just in my mind clearly but in my heart and soul.  I see you all the time in little snapshots - Gwar being really little on the psych couch talking about someone half way round the world in a war zone; Harry with the FPs detainees, tentative yet not backing down; Anjana telling Brad she doesn't know how his Mam copes with him; Matthew's incredible facial expressions, Sion pulling the covers off the dead/sleeping, tidying, packing away; Kyle bellowing 'you do not call me sir; I work for my money'; the blissful confettis, and the 'de tain ee....are you OK?'  Even if I got your names a bit wrong there(?!), I really do remember you! Often! 

Lindi xxxxxxx

Comment by Catrin Rogers on May 14, 2012 at 6:30

There's a fantastic audio interview on TheatreVOICE here with John McGrath and Tom Beardshaw on the experience of live-streaming the show - well worth a listen!

Comment by Catrin Rogers on May 4, 2012 at 4:19

If you've no plans on Monday evening, and access to Sky Arts, check out Sky Arts at National Theatre Wales on Sky Arts 1, 7pm-7.30pm - it promises to be a fantastic behind-the-scenes look at the development and production of the show.

Comment by Tim Price on April 29, 2012 at 22:58

That is so brilliant Abdul.

Comment by abdul shayek on April 29, 2012 at 3:57

Yesterday I spoke to someone who was plastered with Bradley Manning stickers - on his bike, in his cap, jacket etc.  So I asked if he had seen the show and he replied

'Yeah, it was brill.  We watched online, on big screen at the squat.'  

Brilliant.

Well done everyone.

Comment by Tim Price on April 25, 2012 at 11:19

Motion hearings: June 6-8, July 16-20, Aug 27-31, Sept 19-20. TRIAL: Sept 21-Oct 12. Dates might change if necessary.

Comment by Tim Price on April 25, 2012 at 4:11

After 701 days in prison, Bradley is finally given a date for his trial - September 21st 2012.

Comment by National Theatre Wales on April 24, 2012 at 12:00

Forgot to link this into the group before - but I've written a blog on some of the debates around the show's mix of fact and fiction here.  Would love your comments. 

Comment by National Theatre Wales on April 24, 2012 at 11:59

Sarah, Tom will be a better guide than me, but it seems from feedback that Firefox is a better browser to watch the livestream on than Safari, so if you haven't tried Firefox yet, you might want to try it.  Also if you hit refresh in your menu bar, that often works.  Sometimes though, it's simply that there isn't a good enough internet connection to download live video.  We are definitely pumping it out at our end (except the night the generator broke down and we were half an hour late!!) however, the experience is a bit dependant on your connection at home. Do keep trying though, we've had great feedback for the online showings. It's very different from seeing the show in the live theatre version - but  exciting in its own right.  We're on Wed to Sat 7.30pm BST this week and also 2.30 on Sat.  Good luck!  John

Comment by Tim Price on April 23, 2012 at 22:38

Hi Sarah, Tom will be able to explain about this but I think it might be something to do with Adobe flash player.

Members (95)

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service