The Radicalisation of Bradley Manning

Information

The Radicalisation of Bradley Manning

One of the most important political stories of our time - Bradley Manning, the US soldier accused of leaking thousands of military cables to Wikileaks - brought to life in this award-winning production by the UK's most exciting new national company.

'A viscerally exciting piece of theatre' (Guardian).

**** (Daily TelegraphIndependent on Sunday, TheArtsDesk.com, Western Mail).

The Radicalisation of Bradley Manning was first staged across Wales in April 2012 and will be remounted at the 2013 Edinburgh Festival Fringe. 

See the show at: 

Pleasance at St Thomas of Aquin's High School,

Chalmers St, Edinburgh EH3 9ES

6th - 25th August 2013

Members: 98
Latest Activity: Aug 3, 2018

This group is here for people interested in, involved in and affected by the play The Radicalisation of Bradley Manning. Join in and contribute as we develop the play further and re-stage our artistic response to his story, and his relationship with Wales. 

You can read a blog post by TIm Price on why he wanted to tell this story here.

Click here to see our Storify Story of tweets and other content around the first staging of The Radicalisation of Bradley Manning.

We're updating a Storify Story around the 2013 remounting, and you can see that here.   

----------

This play is a fictional account which has been inspired by a true story. The incidents, characters and time lines have been changed for dramatic purposes. In some cases fictitious characters and incidents have been added to the plot, and the words are those imagined by the author. The play should not be understood as a biography or any other factual account. 

Discussion Forum

This group does not have any discussions yet.

#NTWBradley Twitter feed

Comment Wall

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of The Radicalisation of Bradley Manning to add comments!

Comment by National Theatre Wales on August 2, 2013 at 2:13

Lindi - i couldn't agree more with you about Bradley's February statement - an extraordinarily thoughtful and measured piece of thinking.  

Carmen- we've taken a look at everything in the play to make sure that the facts are right, and made a few changes - though I have to say Tim's research and instincts were both pretty accurate.  There's one scend that is set in a different place and another where there's a new chunk of dialogue. We've also taken out once whole scene and replaced it with another, but this is for dramaturgical reasons - both the old and new scenes were about incidents already known to us.  We also do a final update at the end now, which could change during the run of course.  It's been quite a week!

Comment by Jen Thornton on July 31, 2013 at 23:20

The Guardian also have some quite in-depth coverage, including reports from the trial and opinion pieces, one of which is a video statement by Julian Assange. 

They're all collated here

Comment by Jen Thornton on July 31, 2013 at 23:19

Blogger Alec Rees has written a post about the re-staging of the show. You can read it here

Comment by Emily Rees on July 30, 2013 at 21:42
Comment by carmen medway-stephens on July 30, 2013 at 20:34

Hi John and Tim - regards the creative process - will this verdict affect any re-writing or character journey/direction process?

Comment by Lindi Carter on July 30, 2013 at 18:53

Sorry - meant to link to Bradley's Feb statement - it's here

Comment by Lindi Carter on July 30, 2013 at 18:50

If you're looking for info about yesterday's verdict in Bradley's trial - see the WISE Up noticeboard.

Now we go into sentencing arguments, when the defence plans to bring 24 witnesses to testify about Bradley's motivation and also the lack of harm resulting from the leaks. This evidence was precluded by the court for arguments about Brad's guilt or innocence (the 'merits' part that ended with yesterday's verdict) so we'll be seeing much of it for the first time.

Although the convicted charges carry 136 years combined, the Judge is able to sentence him to anything from just time served to 136 years, so there's a lot of leeway still (although she doesn't seem too lenient it has to be said).

This phase is supposed to continue all through August, so that's all the time the show is on, which is such an extraordinary thing, I think - to be doing it while the story continues to unfold...(and we thought last year that the trial was starting in May, just after TRoBM finished in 2012!).

Can't wait to see where you've taken it and if the new info has factored in and affected much.

For myself, something which was impressed on me in reading Brad's Feb statement, is the extent to which - here's a guy who's been abused and spent 3 yrs in jail and is facing life in prison - but in that Feb statement we see the extent to which, amazingly, what he's STILL really thinking about is the same issues that troubled him 3 yrs before in Iraq. They're still really fresh in his mind. 

So, I think, like John says - it's about continuing the urgent conversation however we can - those 'worldwide discussions, debates and reforms' that Brad was after (and apparently still is). And I'm really glad you were talking about Snowden because that's so connected. And it's moving forward - so much HAS happened since TRoBM last year...

Comment by National Theatre Wales on July 30, 2013 at 11:24

It's been an emotional and disturbing day for everyone who cares about Bradley's case.  Here's a blog I just wrote.  And here's a longer one I wrote a few days ago for the British Council.  Would love to hear your thoughts about the verdict, and what next.

Comment by Catrin Rogers on July 23, 2013 at 2:57

So strange to hear his voice at last. Welcome to the group, Michael and Naomi! Looking forward to working with you in rehearsals in Cardiff, and performing in Edinburgh. Keep us posted on your thoughts as rehearsals develop...

Comment by Gavin Porter on July 23, 2013 at 2:40

Members (95)

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service