NTW04: For Mountain, Sand & Sea

Information

NTW04: For Mountain, Sand & Sea

This is the group for For Mountain, Sand & Sea: official tag: NTW04
View all blog posts about For Mountain, Sand & Sea

Members: 102
Latest Activity: Nov 27, 2011

Discussion Forum

This group does not have any discussions yet.

Live results for ntw04 around the web

Loading… Loading feed

Comment Wall

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of NTW04: For Mountain, Sand & Sea to add comments!

Comment by Tom Beardshaw on November 19, 2009 at 2:33
I love this group - so much interesting stuff! I think I may have to visit Barmouth soon. Never been before.
Comment by Marc Rees on November 19, 2009 at 1:40
Yes, I believe that John Sam Jones'(the writer) grandfather was born in the attic of Ty Gwyn
Comment by Marc Rees on November 19, 2009 at 1:09
Do you have further info on the 'local lady' Hugh?
Comment by Hugh Griffith Roberts on November 18, 2009 at 23:38
21 Century " Ty Gwyn Y Bermo ".Early last century it was a foster home ,run by a local lady, for illegitimate children produced by the wealthy aristocracy. I am given to understand that the mothers were in service and had been abused by their employers in distant Cities of England.
Comment by Hugh Griffith Roberts on November 18, 2009 at 23:28

Comment by Marc Rees on November 18, 2009 at 22:00

Davy Jones' Locker interior circa 1960
Comment by Marc Rees on November 18, 2009 at 21:57

Ty Gwyn, Abermaw 1964
(Courtesy of Hugh G Roberts community photographic archive)
Comment by Marc Rees on November 18, 2009 at 21:55
Nick, here's a few images of Davey Jones' Locker to accompany your great reminiscences.
Comment by Nick Dowsett on November 18, 2009 at 12:50
more memories - arriving in Barmouth on a hot summer evening, having hitched from Brum - aged 17 I guess - so circa 1971 - felt like California - musical soundtrack - Beach Boys and Arlo Guthrie (!) - that feeling that ANYTHING was possible. Fish and Chips on the Beach, the pub who chucked you out if you were barefoot or bare chested. And Davy Jones Locker - frothy coffee when no-one else did!!
Comment by Siân Thomas on November 18, 2009 at 10:22
When Marc and I were in Barmouth last August the lady at the tourist information office gave us the impression that the steam train was not going to run in 2010, perhaps this relates to the safer signalling system info Hugh? Has it only been running in August? That would mean that it wouldn't be possible to take the steam train next year For Mountain, Sand & Sea. However, you would still be able to arrive in Barmouth by train Nick, taking the regular diesel ones that run every day. Not as romantic or 'retro' as the old steam trains (I have to admit to recalling taking them as a child, although not to Barmouth) but the view as you cross the estuary will still be as breathtakingly beautiful.

Members (98)

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service