NTW04: For Mountain, Sand & Sea

Information

NTW04: For Mountain, Sand & Sea

This is the group for For Mountain, Sand & Sea: official tag: NTW04
View all blog posts about For Mountain, Sand & Sea

Members: 102
Latest Activity: Nov 27, 2011

Discussion Forum

This group does not have any discussions yet.

Live results for ntw04 around the web

Loading… Loading feed

Comment Wall

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of NTW04: For Mountain, Sand & Sea to add comments!

Comment by Hugh Griffith Roberts on November 18, 2009 at 9:48
What Nick says about " Cadwaladr Roberts " shop reminds me of " Will Paraffin " their main salesman of the product. He was a member of the male vice choir and his wife was auctioneer at " Walter Lloyd Jones " in 1960's.
Comment by Hugh Griffith Roberts on November 18, 2009 at 6:23
Steam train arriving at Barmouth at 1100hrs. It runs from Machynlleth to Pwllheli every weekday during the August. There is concern at this time that the new, safer signalling system may not allow it to run in future years.
Comment by Hugh Griffith Roberts on November 18, 2009 at 6:18

Comment by Marc Rees on November 17, 2009 at 23:57
Hello,
The report extract that I posted on Nov 14th under the title 'The Excursionists' stated that it came from 'The Barmouth Advertiser', it was in fact from 'The Caernarvon and Denbigh Herald'.
Apologies for giving you false information ( I was just so damn keen to get it online I forget to double check my sources).
Thanks for pointing it out Hugh.
Hwyl
Marc
Comment by Femke van Gent on November 17, 2009 at 16:49

the image of the group reminds me of a photo I toke while doing research with dancer artist Sarah Mumford I did in 2007
Comment by Siân Thomas on November 17, 2009 at 14:02
Thanks Nick,
Marc and I have just spent 10 days in Barmouth, waking to the view of the estuary and Cader Idris each morning was such a treat - Queen of the Cambrian coast as Hugh G. says. Oh, and I should also mention the lovely people we met who were really helpful and supportive and excited that we were going to make a piece of work in their town. We were made to feel very welcome. I'm not sure if the steam train will be running next summer but you can still certainly arrive by train. Nearer the time I'll post travel information.
Comment by Nick Dowsett on November 17, 2009 at 12:45
so many fond memories of Barmouth - in the sixties, arriving by steam train - egg and chips for 1s 6d - the ironmongers Cadwaladr Roberts - never failed to have what we wanted - Old Barmouth with the Ruskin Cottages, Fanny Talbot and the Frenchman's Grave - and the view down the Mawddach aestuary - especially when the heather is out - surely one of the finest in Europe - our own Fjord.

Good Luck with this wonderful project.
Comment by Marc Rees on November 17, 2009 at 7:01

Barmouth 1850,
Two artists credited W.H. Bartlett and F.W. Topham.
(From the private collection of Hugh G Roberts)
Comment by Marc Rees on November 17, 2009 at 6:53
Excursionists part II : the pleasure-seekers

Here’s another gem from the Caernarvon and Denbigh Herald, 1876

‘On Friday last the natives of Barmouth were rather astonished by the arrival of excursion trains from Oswesrty, Welshpool, and Newton, bringing between 1000 and 1200 pleasure-seekers. The weather in the morning foreboded rain, but it fortunately cleared off, and the day was quite fine, so that all enjoyed themselves as their inclinations led them; and some betook themselves to the mountains, some to the beach, while others preferred a sail on the water. If anything was wanting to make the day’s enjoyment complete, it was the lack of preparations on he part of the different innkeepers to meet the demands for something substantial in the way of eatables. Mr Rees, keeper of the refreshment room, was an exception, as he had some good joints ready cooked for them, which were quickly eaten up. From what we have heard all went away highly delighted with their trip, and the beauties of Barmouth.’

(Communicated. C.&D.H. August 24,1867)
Comment by Marc Rees on November 16, 2009 at 5:17
Previous image:
Abermaw / Barmouth Circa 1880
One of my favorite images from the wonderful photographic archive collated by Hugh Griffith Roberts

Members (98)

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service