Information

NTW08: The Dark Philosophers

This is the group for The Dark Philosophers: official tag: NTW08
View all blog posts about The Dark Philosophers

Members: 82
Latest Activity: Dec 22, 2011

Discussion Forum

Where did I leave my milk?

There were times, as I watched The Dark Philosophers in the Riverfront Theatre, when I found myself thinking that there is very little in Wales that manages to escape the touch of Dylan Thomas. The…Continue

Started by Mel Williams Nov 18, 2010.

Live results for ntw08 around the web

Loading… Loading feed

Comment Wall

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of NTW08: The Dark Philosophers to add comments!

Comment by Seph Roth on January 27, 2010 at 10:14
Well, thank you very muh Lucy. I deffo will! :)
Comment by Lucy Davies on January 26, 2010 at 22:32
hey seth - firstly hoorah that you have the spirit of adventure to go and see something you know nothing about. if you do want more of an idea you could read some of gwyn thomas's short stories - try 'selected short stories' - we'll be doing a riotous adaptation of his v v funny unique take on 1950s valleys life. and we at NTW are very excited about the creative team that is emerging to bring them to the stage - watch this space for an announcement soon...
Comment by Seph Roth on January 26, 2010 at 10:50
I really want to see this. But i have no idea really what its about.... Can someone help me out.
Comment by Leona Jones on November 16, 2009 at 22:39
Yep, that stove does have a character of its own, and a great metaphor for the rest of the fires in the story - a real proper writer!
Comment by Tom Beardshaw on November 12, 2009 at 15:12
Comment by Nicolas Young on November 11, 2009 at 11:03
As director of the host theatre for this production, I was initially excited by the approach that NTW wanted to take in terms of physicality and comedy on the stage. Then I read the book and was completely drawn into Gwyn Thomas's view of the world, its humour and the potential for it as a piece of theatre relevant to the 21st Century. As Leona says, his ability to make broad political statements through the description of the individual and particular is outstanding: I have been so annoyed on so many occasions by a programme like 'Panorama' generalising about some issue on the basis of an individual example, but Gwyn Thomas, being a proper writer, does not succumb to that journalistic laziness.

I have a view of the set - with the stove from the back room of the coffee shop as a central feature, a projected view of the terraces on one side and of the Oscar/Reverend Emmanuel/Simeon big house on the hill on other - that I must share with NTW. (If you've read the book this will make sense, otherwise.. wait and see!
Comment by Leona Jones on November 10, 2009 at 4:02
You've some wonderful reading ahead of you! He was prolific, so there's plenty of it. I love the way he can capture the minute but also never loses sight of the bigger picture - which may be why words like 'element' and 'voter' are used so often. This will be a wonderful production, and I'm really looking forward to it.

Members (76)

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service