Information

Velvet Ensemble

Velvet Ensemble is a theatre company with a clear vision – to develop and produce thought provoking, accessible theatre with the focus on telling women’s stories.

Members: 102
Latest Activity: Apr 17, 2014

Discussion Forum

How do we encourage more work written by women to get produced...? 3 Replies

Started by Gillian Brightmore. Last reply by Victoria John Feb 15, 2010.

Comment Wall

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of Velvet Ensemble to add comments!

Comment by Suzanne Phillips on February 23, 2010 at 4:01
Are there any Velvet Ensemble members interested in taking part in theatre versus oppression's new writing initiative at Chapter the last sunday of every month - so this sunday
We are developing 6 plays in 10 min sections and asking the audience to suggest What Happened Next? We will be using different techniques to suggest how the story might develop and it relies on audience participation.
It;s a different way of developing writing and getting people together to mix

Suzanne
Comment by Shelley Rees on February 16, 2010 at 3:54
Great news,V. xx
Comment by Victoria John on February 16, 2010 at 3:51
Really exciting meeting with Bethan Marlow and Sarah Bickerton on Saturday at WMC. The development of NEVER, FEAR, LOVE? is well underway - they have plotted and planned and Beth is now spending the next 2 months writing the full play. April 13th will be our first read through and then on............. I am so excited about this project and will keep everyone in touch!
Onwards and upwards!

Vx
Comment by Anja Conti on February 13, 2010 at 11:55
I am very interested in this company

I am an actor, I will be graduating this summer from Trinity College Carmarthen. I will then be playing Juliet with Taking Flight theatre company, touring around Wales this summer.

I recently played Annie/Emily and Eady in Gut Girls directed by Peter Doran. So it was nice to see that you have performed that too. Do you have anything coming up soon?

It would be brilliant to know more about your company.
Keep in touch,
Anja Conti
Comment by Victoria John on December 20, 2009 at 8:26
MERRY CHRISTMAS!!! Please take a look at our updated website - there are some photos from our Incubator Project and some news about what happens next! We are also on Twitter, please follow us - velvetensemble
We really hope that you have a really good Christmas and New Year and look forward to an exciting and busy 2010!
Vxx
Comment by Victoria John on November 19, 2009 at 0:33
Hi all! Just a quick note to say a big HOORAH and give you a little update about our Incubator Project. The first thing I would say is WOW! From my point of view, I feel so excited and fortunate that such amazingly talented people want to come and work with us - Charlotte and I are so committed to Velvet Ensemble and feel so blessed that all these great people are putting their faith and trust in us to facilitate the work.
Never, Fear, Love? is a process that both Beth and I came up with and I am pleased to say that it worked. It successfully offered all those involved a forum to play, learn and discover new things. It also challenged everyone to face fears and go some way to overcome them. Then we had the challenge of rehearsing a new script in 4 days to perform it at The Weston Studio and we did it! The response to the writing, direction and acting has been overwhelmingly positive and that is testament to the brilliance of Bethan Marlow, Sarah Bickerton, Rhian Blythe, Owain Rhys Davies, Charlotte Gray and Ryan Evans. Louise Miles-Crust and Gareth Lloyd Roberts mustn't go unmentioned as it was their intial trust that gave us this opportunity.
I do find it amazing to look at what we have done in the past 11 months and am really excited about what the future holds. Of course, the next stage is to find funding and/or a co-producer, so watch this space. We are keen to see if this piece can be developed so will keep you posted!
A huge thanks to all of you who came out to support us on Saturday night - you rock! If any of you didn't get the chance to fill in a feedback form or have had any other thoughts since Saturday, I would love to hear them - good or bad!
Trust you're all well! Am off now to trawl through a funding finding website! Wish me luck!!
Vx
Comment by Victoria John on November 8, 2009 at 8:39
Hi there! We are midway through a 2 week New Writing process as part of WMC's Incubator Project 2009. It has been an amazing experience of learning and playing which isn't something that a professional actor can take for granted, these days. Our creative team has been second to none - Bethan Marlow (Writer), Sarah Bickerton (Director) and Actors - Rhian Blythe, Charlotte Jones, Owain Rhys Davies and liddle ole me!
We'll be performing the fruits of our labours on Sat. 14th Nov 09 at 7pm, at The Weston Studio at WMC. Tickets are 3 pounds and can be booked online at www.wmc.org.uk or by telephoning 08700 40 2000.
It would be great to see some familiar faces as well as some that we are yet to meet in the flesh! Please come along, give us your feedback and stay for a drink and a chat in the bar!
Hope to see you there!
Vx
Comment by Victoria John on October 13, 2009 at 2:57
Female Directors - if you are one or have worked with an amazing one, I want to hear about it!!!! Ta x
Comment by Hannah Waite on October 11, 2009 at 9:51
Wow! I am very excited by this comapny! I agree about the lack of women's stories. I am working on a few female power pieces at the moment. Can't wait to see more of your work soon!
Comment by Victoria John on October 8, 2009 at 1:06
I am really excited to tell you that we have been selected for this years Incubator Project at Wales Millenium Centre. We will be doing a 2 week New Writing Process called Never, Love, Hate and ? Bethan Marlowe will be writing for us which we are super thrilled about! Hoorah! Vx

Members (96)

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service