Information

Word4Word

A platform for creative words of any kind to be shared and enjoyed. From spoken word to lyrics to fiction to monologues to mini-devised theatre. We want your interpretation...

Supported by NTW TEAM

Members: 187
Latest Activity: Oct 13, 2016

Discussion Forum

Word4Word Event 23 January at 7.30pm Clwb Y Bont Pontypridd 2 Replies

Where is this advertised?  Not long to go!!!Continue

Started by Louise Rees. Last reply by Louise Rees Jan 10, 2013.

Word4Word Event Takeover: 15th September 5 Replies

Hi everyone! We are so excited about the amount of interest in Word4Word! Organisation is now being taken over by National Theatre Wales’ TEAM programme and me and Anna Poole will be taking over the…Continue

Started by Natalie Stone. Last reply by Natalie Stone Sep 6, 2011.

Word4Word Cancellation 3 Replies

A group can't flourish can it if cancelled at last moment -Thurs. 11/08 - no notice given?This doesn't say much for the organisation behind it or confidence in the arrangements in my opinion.GBContinue

Started by Gillian Brightmore. Last reply by abdul shayek Aug 14, 2011.

Word4Word is back! 5 Replies

15 artists. 5 minutes each. £2 entry.After the successful first event last month, Word4Word is an open mic event for any spoken word performer or writer to come and…Continue

Started by Mark Blayney. Last reply by Gillian Brightmore Aug 13, 2011.

Comment Wall

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of Word4Word to add comments!

Comment by Will Ford on August 9, 2011 at 7:39

Better to plough on with the people willing to commit than not, I feel, even if adjustments have to be made to make the show have a decent length, such as extending the time limit per performer.

After all not everybody who joins a group online goes on to take part in the activities that group exists for, and the consistency of regularly programmed shows is what would create/sustain the 'buzz' among potential contributors and audience and keep regulars (both audience and contributors) coming back for more.

And the second Word4Word can't actually be gotten wrong, since there is an element of unpredictability in building shows around open mic performance that is part of the appeal and so adapting to whatever the circumstances are on the night is part of the process in a way that isn't the case with a fully scripted and rigorously rehearsed theatre production. Given the number of open mic events there are in Cardiff that don't have a prize offered for open mic like Word4Word has on this occasion, future events will probably attract more interest once word gets around, but the word cant necessarily get around to the degree that would guarantee a full house (or maybe even full stage) for open mic events from the off. Maybe the vision for the future of the events could be one where there is a high level of friendly competitive spirit as contributors vie for the prize, and because a prize is being competed for, the need is there for people to be/do their best, or try and outdo themselves given what they learned from a previous attempt. Such a scenario would be good for the audience because if the competitors/performers literally have their eyes on the prize, they need to be sharp and original. So everybody wins. But that sort of atmosphere/reputation for any regular event has to be built up over time, and while something is in its early days, the seeds are still being sown, both potential performers and audience are usually more than willing to go along with that. 

Thinking along the lines of 'future vision' I feel it is rather likely that the 'prize factor' would keep performers returning and that may put off first timers after a while, so again thinking of the future, maybe a well established and popular Word4Word regular event could have the more 'cut-throat' contest for people who consider themselves up for that, and newcomers/people taking their first steps into reading their work could be part of a concurrent contest held on the same evenings, for (horrible term) newbies. Many things are conceivable as future cool consequences of getting the ball rolling, but they cant be manufactured immediately, so what we need is to keep that ball rolling.

I think I've campaigned hard enough now, so I really will give it a rest, all the best to all,

Will 

Comment by Brent Morgan on August 9, 2011 at 6:57

I would say that establishing a regular running night is most important this is what will lead to more people registering an interest for future events. Last minute changes can put people off.

Comment by abdul shayek on August 9, 2011 at 5:58

Hi Merel

I guess my worry is that we have 64 members on this group & so far we have had 5 people register an interest - therefore if we gave people more lead up time and postponed event till Sep, it gives us time to really publicise and get the second one right, rather then rush & get the second Word4Word wrong.

Comment by Merel Prescott on August 9, 2011 at 3:20
There will be four of us attending if the event goes ahead. I have not been on fb for a while and maybe others haven't either. I suspect that attendance will be higher than you might think ;)
Comment by abdul shayek on August 8, 2011 at 22:55

Hi Will and everyone else- I completely understand that it is quite late in the day- however the difficulty is that currently we have 5 people registered to perform and a attendance list of 22.  I guess I personally think postment would give us the opportunity to create more awareness of the night - also make it easier for people who would like to attend both rather then them having to make a choice.

For me I guess it is important that we have a ngiht which has the maximum amount of people attending & taking part in order to have the succesful impact as an event.

A

Comment by Will Ford on August 8, 2011 at 8:24

Hi Abdul, have just received the message about the clash with the Inc'Ling event. I feel the Word4Word even should definitely still go ahead, because it has been in the July/August booklet since whenever that was printed, so maybe there will be people coming who came to the last one, or who may have told others it was worth attending. They may not come back in the future if they turn up for a second show that doesn't exist!

There would be no way to let such people know of a cancellation at this stage. Also, the people who have signed to to come/maybe come to the show on the FB page may be disappointed. I would personally be disappointed, given that I would like to take ever chance I can to perform. Naturally the event at the WMC is likely to be a higher priority for NTW, but the attendees of that event are possibly not likely to be the same as those for the spoken word event. And if there is genuine commitment to supporting the growth of spoken word events, clearly momentum built up from one event to the next would be dissipated slightly if a planned and advertised event doesn't happen. 

So clearly, I feel rather strongly that the event at the CAI should go ahead, and I strongly hope it does.

All best 

Comment by Merel Prescott on August 8, 2011 at 0:13
Steven, it's still there. There are two walls for the same thing.
Comment by Steven Kenward on August 7, 2011 at 21:40

I posted yesterday but it seems to have disappeared. I'll be an open miker for sure.

Comment by Merel Prescott on August 6, 2011 at 13:24
Hi! Sorry to have been incommunicado for so long, we're changing isp's at the moment and it's a pain accessing internet from my phone. I'm looking forward to attending on Thursday with Jonni and Emily. Emily would love to read some of her poems out if you still have room. Also there is open mic night at the Riverfront in Newport on Friday if anyone's interested.
Comment by Mark Blayney on August 6, 2011 at 8:26
So I'll get the ball rolling and say, can I be one of the open mikers at Word4Word on Thursday! :)

Members (184)

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service