'City Road' - A Pub Soap Opera

Information

'City Road' - A Pub Soap Opera

This project largely grew from an idea for a pub soap opera I took to the NTWTeam Workouts during summer 2014. It is based on just such a soap opera I was involved in as a professional actor back in 1999 in Battersea, London under the auspices of the Battersea Arts Centre. With 'City Road' the intention is not merely to replicate what has gone before but to produce a piece of theatre that is not only relevant to its environment and that particular community but is utterly accessible. We shall also use social media to broaden the scope of the drama and its characters beyond the time spent in actual performance.

'City Road' is a largely improvised, live, real-time soap opera which will take place in a pub over a number of nights. There is no stage. The action happens right before and amongst the audience - that pub's clientele.

The characters, their lives and their issues, will, as much as possible, be drawn from those of the local community with the story lines evolving from actors' improvisations. As such, this is very much an ensemble piece.

Thanks to Emma MacNab and Peter a. Scott bringing the 'Made in Roath' festival to my attention, we have, at very short notice, managed to secure a fifteen minute slot over four nights (plus one with 3Crate) between 18-22 October.

Alas, on this occasion this is not a paid opportunity but it is my hope that in its next generation I will be able to use the MiR experience to obtain funding.

Members: 24
Latest Activity: Aug 2, 2016

Discussion Forum

This group does not have any discussions yet.

Comment Wall

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of 'City Road' - A Pub Soap Opera to add comments!

Comment by Shane Anderson on September 27, 2014 at 9:22

deadline |ˈdɛdlʌɪn|

noun

1 the latest time or date by which something should be completed. 

2 historical a line drawn around a prison beyond which prisoners were liable to be shot.

Let's hope your publishers are not so drastic!!! Good luck Mr V.

Shane

Comment by Terry Victor on September 27, 2014 at 8:21

Enjoy tomorrow. Think of me here at my desk manfully struggling with a deadline...

Comment by Kerrie Leanne Sellick on September 27, 2014 at 7:08
Hello,
Looking forward to tomorrow. See you all at 6pm
kerrie
Comment by Shane Anderson on September 27, 2014 at 5:57

Thanks for letting us know. That's important!

Shane

Comment by Simon Mullins on September 27, 2014 at 5:43
Hi Guys.

I'm sorry, but I'm not able to make it tomorrow. Should be fine for next week though. Hope this isn't too problematic, and sorry it's last minute. I forgot an engagement I'd made months ago back home and it's snuck up on me.

Look forward to seeing you next week

Simon
Comment by Emma MacNab on September 24, 2014 at 5:55
6-8 on 28th is good for me!
Comment by Shane Anderson on September 22, 2014 at 4:08

Yes Simon, that's the one.

Elaine, I can do this - does making it 6-8 make it particularly difficult anyone else?

Comment by Elaine Paton on September 21, 2014 at 10:38

Hi Shane

vIs there anyway we could all meet a bit earlier Sunday 27th September?   Even 6 - 8pm.    I have to travel to Swansea for workshops on MOnday morning at 7am meaning arising at 6am!!!   If too much bother to change no worries, as they day Down Under I'll come anyway. thanks

Comment by Simon Peter Ancellon on September 21, 2014 at 3:38

Is the Roath Park Tavern round the corner from the Gate Arts Centre?

Comment by Shane Anderson on September 16, 2014 at 20:24

Yes. Ineed best to take it we are at Roath Park Tavern (RPT) unless otherwise stated.

Members (23)

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service