'City Road' - A Pub Soap Opera

Information

'City Road' - A Pub Soap Opera

This project largely grew from an idea for a pub soap opera I took to the NTWTeam Workouts during summer 2014. It is based on just such a soap opera I was involved in as a professional actor back in 1999 in Battersea, London under the auspices of the Battersea Arts Centre. With 'City Road' the intention is not merely to replicate what has gone before but to produce a piece of theatre that is not only relevant to its environment and that particular community but is utterly accessible. We shall also use social media to broaden the scope of the drama and its characters beyond the time spent in actual performance.

'City Road' is a largely improvised, live, real-time soap opera which will take place in a pub over a number of nights. There is no stage. The action happens right before and amongst the audience - that pub's clientele.

The characters, their lives and their issues, will, as much as possible, be drawn from those of the local community with the story lines evolving from actors' improvisations. As such, this is very much an ensemble piece.

Thanks to Emma MacNab and Peter a. Scott bringing the 'Made in Roath' festival to my attention, we have, at very short notice, managed to secure a fifteen minute slot over four nights (plus one with 3Crate) between 18-22 October.

Alas, on this occasion this is not a paid opportunity but it is my hope that in its next generation I will be able to use the MiR experience to obtain funding.

Members: 24
Latest Activity: Aug 2, 2016

Discussion Forum

This group does not have any discussions yet.

Comment Wall

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of 'City Road' - A Pub Soap Opera to add comments!

Comment by Elaine Paton on September 16, 2014 at 8:34

Hi Shane  Congratulations on getting this first schedule on the road working around everyone's dates!

Those dates are in my diary.  Are we rehearsing at the Roath Park Tavern?  Thanks

Comment by Shane Anderson on September 16, 2014 at 4:55

Ok, let's make a first confirmed date for the diary. Sun Sept 28th, 7 - 9pm at the Roath Park Tavern.

Two other definite dates are Sunday 5th & Tues 14 Oct (during day - times tbc). There will be other dates/times to follow but these are two where I'd like as many people as possible to be there.

Many thanks.

Comment by Emma MacNab on September 13, 2014 at 9:57

Brilliant work Shane.

Just so everyone knows, the one performance which is teaming up with 3 Crate will be on 20th October in The Crofts. 

Can't wait to start rehearsing this piece of lovely local lampoon.

Comment by Shane Anderson on September 13, 2014 at 5:37

Working this w/e on a rehearsal schedule more soon

Members (23)

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service