Information

Rethinking Education

A group for anyone who wants to help us develop an NTW approach to education.

Members: 140
Latest Activity: Feb 1, 2022

Our Manifesto

To act as a catalyst in creating new networks to stimulate debate across arts, education and beyond

To provide a forum to discuss education in a language that encourages fresh and innovative ideas

To develop leaders and advocates from a range of backgrounds, working throughout the whole education system

To focus on creating long-term solutions to the problems of the formal education system

To encourage cross-curricular dialogue to promote the benefits of the arts at all stages of the educational experience

Come join us.

Discussion Forum

Creative Schools: what's happening out there? 2 Replies

The creative schools/ creative practitioners project has been running for about 2 school years now. I was so enthusiastic about its aims when launched at the Arts Council Wales event. I think the…Continue

Started by Bill Hamblett. Last reply by Martin Daws Apr 16, 2018.

Sharing - Rethinking Education for the 21st Century 1 Reply

http://shar.es/131gVNNesta posted this on twitter this morning. It is an article written by Naveen Jain called School's Out For Summer. It was originally posted…Continue

Started by Jain Boon. Last reply by 4elements1 May 31, 2015.

Going forward

What if there is a way to take any discussion group to impact the future, involve the group and conversation , by discussion, attitude, interaction be it voice visual impact, more engagement allows…Continue

Started by Gary Morris Feb 27, 2015.

Comment Wall

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of Rethinking Education to add comments!

Comment by Devinda De Silva on September 22, 2016 at 3:47

The Best New Schools Don't Look Like Schools At All

It's all about using open architecture to nurture young minds.

Comment by Matt Ball on September 7, 2016 at 4:01

I'm on the lookout for a creative practitioner to work with a Primary School in Newport on a project about China. More details in this blog:

http://community.nationaltheatrewales.org/profiles/blogs/job-creati...

Comment by Naomi Chiffi on June 27, 2016 at 23:18

In other news, if you are a teacher or work with young people and would be interested in some scripts to help creatively engage with your groups, then please do get in touch as we have scripts available which we would be happy to donate to you.   We currently have copies of The Dark Philosophers based on the stories of Gwyn Thomas and adapted by Carl Grose as well as A Provinicial Life, by Peter Gill and based on the work of Anton Chekhov.  If you would be interested, just let us know. 

Comment by Naomi Chiffi on June 27, 2016 at 23:13

An interesting report on the future of higher education, asking "what will college look like five, ten, and twenty years from now?"

As student loan debt has risen significantly over the past several years, future higher education continues to be seen in the spotlight. GoodCall’s report touches on online driven education, a student’s return on investment, greater accountability placed on colleges and more.  It's an interesting read. 

The report can be found here: https://www.goodcall.com/education/future-of-higher-education/

Comment by Naomi Chiffi on June 16, 2016 at 23:16

As many of you know, over the past year, we have undergone a period of consultation with educators, artists, academics and young people to help establish an NTW approach to education.   This has been done as the next logical step for TEAM, but has also been in reaction to the changing world of education in Wales. 

Through our education programme, we want to connect with people throughout Wales, from all backgrounds, in ways that enable them to be creative. We are looking at education for schools; for young people outside mainstream schooling; for families; for teachers, and education for life – providing opportunities for lifelong learning, much of which we offer under the current TEAM structure.  We also wish to show support for the Arts Council and Welsh Assembly Government's Creative Schools Scheme. 

Through our consultation period we have been asking for contributions, either online via this, our Rethinking Education group or in person at regional meetings throughout Wales. This process has been extremely beneficial and has helped inform and shape our future proposed education plan, so I would like to extend a message of thanks to all of you for contributing so enthusiastically to our discussions to date.  

A brief summation of the results of the meetings is that we are now developing a more focused education programme in which we will look at engaging with all digitally, with some through show-related projects and with a few through specific located activity.  More specific details of each of these strands will be made public in the near future, so watch this space...  

In the mean time, our door is always open for new ideas related to education so if you have anything you would like to discuss or to share or if you are a teacher/youth group leader with a specific project in mind and you would like our guidance or support then please do get in touch. 

Many thanks - diolch yn fawr. 

Comment by Naomi Chiffi on June 16, 2016 at 23:03

Ac yn Gymraeg:

Bydd Cerdd Gymunedol Cymru yn cynnal cwrs hyfforddi tiwtoriaid, yn Caerdydd ym mis Gorffenaf.

Bydd y cwrs yn amcanu i ddatblygu cymwyseddau craidd a dathlu ac annog unigoliaeth ac amrywiaeth.

Ar gyfer pwy?

I’r canlynol:

• Pobl sy’n awyddus i gynyddu eu sgiliau, eu gwybodaeth a’u dealltwriaeth o ddefnyddio gweithgareddau creadigol yn eu gwaith â phobl
  • Pobl sydd eisoes yn gweithio mewn maes creadigol neu sy’n awyddus i ddechrau defnyddio celfyddyd mewn cyd-destun gwaith neu wirfoddol, gan gynnwys gweithwyr ieuenctid, cynorthwywyr dysgu, gofalwyr, gweithwyr blynyddoedd cynnar, gweithwyr chwarae, staff canolfannau dydd, arweinwyr clybiau ar ôl ysgol, gweithwyr sector  cyfiawnder ieuenctid, ayyb
  • Pob sydd â diddordeb mawr mewn gweithgareddau creadigol a chanddynt rywfaint o sgiliau artistig
  • Pobl sydd â’r potensial i ysbrydoli ac ysgogi eraill i gre

Mae’r hyfforddi wedi achredu gan Agored Cymru a diolch i ariannu gan Gyngor Celfyddydau Cymru a’r Loteri rydym yn medru cynnig hyn am y pris arbennig o £120 (£80 concesiwn)

Dyddiadau'r Cwrs

1af, 2il, 9fed, 15fed a 16 Gorffennaf, 2016

Os oes gennych gwestiynau pellach yna cysylltwch â ni ar:
029 2083 8060
neu e-bost:
admin@communitymusicwales.org.uk

Comment by Naomi Chiffi on June 16, 2016 at 23:02

The following may be of interest to some of you - it looks great!

Community Music Wales will be running a community arts tutor training course in Cardiff this July. 

The course will aim both to develop essential, core competencies and to celebrate and encourage individuality and diversity.

Who is it for?

For people who:

• Want to increase their skills, knowledge and understanding in using creative activities in their work with people.
  • Already work in a creative field, or want to start using art in a work or voluntary context, including youth workers, teaching assistants, carers, early years workers, play workers, day centre staff, after school club leaders, youth justice sector workers etc
  • Have a strong interest in creative activities and have some artistic skills
  • Have the potential to inspire and motivate people to create

The training is accredited through Agored Cymru and thanks to the Arts Council of Wales lottery funding we are able to offer it at the amazing price of £120 (£80 Concession)

Course Dates:

1st, 2nd, 9th, 15th and 16th July 2016

If you are interested in the course please don't hesitate to call us on:
029 20838060 
or email:
admin@communitymusicwales.org.uk

Comment by Naomi Chiffi on May 24, 2016 at 4:02

Words:

They are hurricanes,
threatening danger with every sound,
they can tear you apart.

They are stars,
thousands of miles away
never quite seeming reachable.

They are fires,
scorching and burning
ready to spit should you get too close.

They are graveyards,
holding forgotten memories
and buried dreams.

They are maps,
trace the lines with your hands
and find a new world.

They are mirrors
holding every inch of you,
both the parts you like and those you can hardly seem to face.

They are shadows,
the darkened silhouettes of you

on a cold December night.

But above all,

they are an escape;
a place to go when your mind is too full

and too empty all at once.

Charlotte Rose

Comment by Naomi Chiffi on May 24, 2016 at 4:02

"Words are prisoners;
banging on their cell doors,
fighting to get out.

Words are fire;
spreading with ferocity until someone finds the water.

Words are flowers;
they take their time to bloom,
but when they do they're beautiful."

Katelan Rowlands

Comment by Naomi Chiffi on May 24, 2016 at 4:01

We were delighted to work with Bryn Hafren school in Barry on an intergenerational photography project for 'Before I Leave' - it contains some fantastic, emotive images and will be displayed in the foyer of the Sherman for the run of the show, please do pop along to see it if you have the opportunity.

Patrick Jones also delivered a creative-writing workshop at at the school, the results of which are two beautiful poems, written by the pupils.  Here they are for your enjoyment

Members (140)

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service