Information

The Big Democracy

It could be argued that our political system is at breaking point. Some say politicians act in the interest of corporations and not of the people. Throughout the world, there seems to be an air of discontentment.

National Theatre Wales’ Assembly programme has developed into a three-year programme of work called The Big Democracy Project, which explores how art and creativity can play a part in helping communities across Wales re-engage with the democratic process.

We’ve already started asking Wales what the big questions for the future are - and how we should go about making changes.

Click here to find out how this search will lead us to the heart of Welsh Government to choose the biggest issue facing the nation - and to decide what kind of a theatre production we should make about it.

The Manifesto

Through its Big Democracy Project, National Theatre Wales aims to...

• ask big questions about our democracy;
  • help Wales imagine the future it wants;
  • make a real change to the lives of people in Wales and beyond; and
  • instigate action through art.

Find out more here

#BigDemocracy

Website: http://nationaltheatrewales.org/big-democracy-project
Members: 64
Latest Activity: Mar 20, 2016

Discussion Forum

Assemblies for Democracy

I also posted this in the Peoples Think Tank - apologies if I'm coming on too strong!!Hello to all. I've just joined. This is my first post. I hope it stirs some interest......looking forward to some…Continue

Tags: assembly, democracy

Started by Gerry Gold Jun 12, 2015.

Comment Wall

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of The Big Democracy to add comments!

Comment by Gavin Porter on October 22, 2014 at 1:30

October 4th saw the first event of the Big Democracy project taking place in Penrhyn Hall, Bangor. It had taken three months to get to this point, from inviting ideas to three ideas being voted on to producing the event.

The chosen proposal was put forward by Bethesda poet Martin Daws – The Poetry Party – which looked at voter apathy.

We put the show together in 4 days and it’s a huge testament to the artist’s skill to create such quality performances and that amount of time.

It was really great to work with Martin, Nikki, Rhys, Ali and Sophie and the rest of the crew and it seemed that everyone who attended responded to the performance and contributed to the conversation.

I think that the evening provided a great platform for honest, heartfelt conversation and it seems that there is an apatite for political discussion, in what was described as a ‘safe space’. It was also great to hear some brilliant poetry (a big thank you to Sophie for taking one for the team, she's quite left wing really :)  

Below are some of the things said on the night

Only the rich have democracy • Make things work for the people • A change in how people are voted into office • Do we need party politics • Less inequality • Build a new politic of the people • Convictional politicians • Spoilt Ballots don’t get counted • We have to accept democracy with all its faults • Have every really experienced true democracy? • Is what we have a democracy? •  It’s a broken system but it’s the only system we have • Voting isn’t worth the effort • Sometimes its based on the tradition of who your family voted for • I say no boarders no nations • Anarchism is responsibility • I don’t know anyone who votes • Im trying to pull my finger out and make a difference

Details of the next Big Democracy event will be released soon.

Comment by Gavin Porter on August 5, 2014 at 22:56

In a World Where Freedom Is Outlawed Only Outlaws Will Be Free

Comment by Gavin Porter on August 5, 2014 at 21:02
All Revolutions Begin As Revolutions of Consciousness

Comment by Gavin Porter on July 30, 2014 at 23:41

Powerless, Dismayed, Shocked, Useless, Vexed, Perplexed, Horrified, De-sensitised, Hands tied. Anyone else feel this way? Have Your Say #BigDemocracy 

Members (61)

2qjkymiztlzjw

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service