National Theatre Wales

Profile Information:

What I do:
National Theatre Wales
A little more about me:
We bring together storytelling poets, visual visionaries and inventors of ideas. We collaborate with artists, audiences, communities and companies to create theatre in the English language, rooted in Wales, with an international reach.

Rydym yn dwyn ynghyd beirdd sy’n adrodd straeon, gweledyddion gweledol a dyfeiswyr syniadau. Cydweithiwn gydag artistiaid, cynulleidfaoedd, cymunedau a chwmnïau i greu theatr Saesneg wedi’i gwreiddio yng Nghymru ag elfen ryngwladol.

Get in touch: online@nationaltheatrewales.org / @ntwtweets
Projects I’m working on:
nationaltheatrewales.org
Personal Website/CV:
http://nationaltheatrewales.org
Twitter @username:
ntwtweets

Comment Wall:

• Lesa Dryburgh

Hello John,
    This is exciting, how very exciting being part of the creation of something new. How are you finding this? Lesa.
  • Mathilde Lopez

Bonjour patron!Lopethgometh
  • Graham Harper

Judith & I are looking forward to joining you all at 4-00pm on Thursday - it'll be a great event for a momentous milestone. Regards, graham.
  • Philip Ralph

Fern and Paul will be there on behalf of Volcano, John, but sadly I can't be due to a prior work commitment. All the best for it and look forward to seeing all the things the company will create in future. Phil
  • Renny O'Shea

Too many thoughts...
    Will keep you posted
    Have a great night tonight
    speak soon
  • oni_baba

Thanks, been really enjoying the postings--I actually posted something, but had to remove it because I realize the debate series was at this time hush hush.
  • Rebecca Gould

it's much better than 'cushion moving' or 'curtain twitching' I think :-)
  • Gill Lloyd

it is Artsadmin gill and I will get a pic on soon. Great developing site you have here. Really fascinating to travel with.
  • Louise Osborn

Hi John - Hijinx show going down well thanks - Glenys has pitched it brilliantly for audience of Adults with Learning Difficulties... might you get to see it? Really enjoyed your Get Organised blog.
  • Louise Osborn

It's on at WMC Weston Studio this week - Wednesday and Thursday. There's a special guest night on Wednesday evening - sure I can get you tickets if you want...
  • Michael Aubin

What can I say I'm an eager beaver! The workshop you gave really excited me about NTW development throughout it's first year and I would love the opportunity to have a role in its development! I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for those opportunites! look forward to hearing about NTW future.

take care and best wishes! MA
  • Sean Patrick Paul James Cernow

Hola mi amigo!!! I've got lots of exciting news for you which I know you'll love! The Robbie Carlyle film is ready to go, I'm also directing a play at the Zion!!! I've thought a lot about how you direct yourself and tried to apply that to my work! It's going to be a great journey mate!!! x
  • Sarah Jones

Hi John

Was really inspiring to hear about your plans for NTW yesterday. Really excited about your plans to have education running throughout the programme and not seperate.
    Was chatting on the way home about if it might be an interesting idea for the shows that either feature young performers or are aimed at youth audiences to have their 'theatre and debate strand' facilitated by peer leaders in an interactive workshop fashion? Will drop a line to Catherine and Mathilde about this too. We'd be interesting in empowering young people to do this if it was something that interested you guys.
    Really excited to find out in Nov whats happening where and hoping we can bring some groups of young people to the shows. Its going to be great to take them to the theatre in new spaces.
    Anyway am sure we'll talk more in the future,

Sarah Jones
    Mess Up The Mess Theatre Company
  • Tom Cullen

Hi John,

Wanted to thank you for your attendance again. It meant an awful amount.

Looking forward to November.

Tom
  • Hugh Griffith Roberts

John , just a short note of intro as I am involved with the Mountain , Sand & Sea project. I have met your father and know your grandparents well - our home is next to the bowling green in Barmouth and they regularly park close to our house and have a natter. They told me of your position in Wales before it was in the public domain. Please give them all my kindest regards , look forward to meeting you in person. Wishing you every success in your career. Hugh.
  • Fiona Curtis

Hi John
    Could you let me know how i could get involved in 'Shelf Life' please? I'm a production manager and have just moved to Cardiff from Liverpool and i'm really interested in this years programme from NTW.

Thanks, Fiona Curtis
  • Saz Moir

Hi John
    Congrats...
    Saw your piece in The Sunday Times, Culture on NTW.
    It all seems really exciting, good luck with the first show and the future for the National Theatre Wales.
  • Saz Moir

Before Christmas I was very busy working as costume spervisor on productions on Jungle Book and Pinocchio. Moved back down to Cornwall to the family home. Currently re-decorating some flats to keep going until the next thing comes along so on a bit of a job hunt in the theatre world. x
  • Terry Victor

Hi John
    I have sent the script we talked about via the admin@ address because, for the life of me, I couldn't work out how to attach it in here. Looking forward to your response in the fullness of time.TVx
  • Dominic Rai

Hi John - just read a terrific tweet about Devil Inside Him & have booked The Persians for 13 August.

The Culturally Diverse Theatre meeting is on 24th May at RWCMD. If someone from NT able to attend should contact Nicky Delgado at BVSNW. Look forward to catching up soon.
  • Melody Louise Brain

Hi John, I remember seeing a post on here from you regarding casting. You mentioned that you would be recommending people to Mike Pearson the director of The Persians, and I wondered if you could submit my CV that you have on file if possible please? Obviously i'd like to audition for others, but I was particularly interested in The Persians.

Many thanks,
    Melody x
  • Michael Cusick

Hi John - I'm an acting student at RWCMD and just wanted to introduce myself in advance of our production of 'Spring Awakening' which I think you are coming to see? I hope you enjoy it and maybe get to introduce myself in person afterwards - which night are you coming?
    Saw Devil Inside Him the other week and really enjoyed it, look forward to seeing more of NTW great stuff this year.

All the best

Michael
  • andrew Golightly

As an actor and teacher I've always been motivated by the life affirming force of theatre and enjoy nothing more than creating, with students and professionals, moments that celebrate our humanity and inherent community spirit. So glad to have found this site and want to say how much you have been an inspiration. Especially in an age that spends silly money on buildings and starves it's professionals. I dream of dogs chasing fat cats;-)
    Andrew
  • Sarah Jones

Hi John, hope everything is continuing to go well with NTW. Really excited for the upcoming Port Talbot show as that is a key area on our doorstep that we really should do more in and I live in the local authority so be exciting to bring an audience. We have lots going on with MUTM in the next few years and finally a semblance of core funding for the next 3 years so a little more time to breathe rather than write funding applications and hope to deliver the projects afterwards. Really excited about your plans for emerging artists and as a theatre that creates work with and for young audiences and who recruits lots of emerging talent I think it might be good to talk more about this. We have a couple of exciting projects you might like to know more about and we would like to pick your brains on.Am away working on Strangers after Christmas untill early Jan but would love to come say hi in Feb if you have anytime? Hope you are going to get a decent break over Christmas, you must be shattered but thanks for helping to make Wales a really exciting place to make theatre, Sarah Jones Artistic Director MUTM

• Miranda Ballin

Hi John 

just wanted to say thanks so much for the work yesterday - we love having you with us and it as a great way to start the year. I was impressed with the groups reflections on the play it really spoke of its power. I went online to check out Soul Exchange and I am even more gutted not to be coming as i know Kully from years ago when I did a show with Red Ladder - just heard her talking with Tom Payne but couldn't see/find her in the members list. I  know how busy you are but please send her my love if she remembers me. Feel free to pass on my contact details as I would love to get in touch with her - though I know she will be very busy at this time. I was so excited when i heard that you had worked with her at Contact. Still there is always Rome... Thanks again John and of course to Hannah Miranda x

• Sarah Jones

Hi John,

How you doing? Am back from my travels with the Strangers project and was hoping maybe we could meet sometime soon? Am actually in Cardiff tomorrow but am thinking that is too short notice... I could come in to Cardiff on the 2nd of March or if you are over this way doing anything for Passion then let us know or if you fancy a visit to one of our youth theatre sessions Peri could always hold the fort while we chat. Anyway let me know what you think. Hope all is great with you all at NTW, Sarah

• Sarah Jones

Hi John,

Peri and I are in Cardiff on Wed morning if you have any time for a cup of tea and a chat? No worries if not. Let us know if your over this way or we'll try you again next time we are in the big smoke, Sarah

• Kit Lambert

Hi John,
    Great to see you yesterday. I just tried to send a private message re. poetry stuff, but for some reason it won't send. I have sent you an email instead - I hope that is ok. Please let me know if you don't receive it.
    All the best,
    Kit
  • Louise Breckon - Richards

Thank you John.  I'm so pleased to have discovered this community, as living in London has often made me feel so remote from  welsh roots and connections.  It's great to see such lively creativity being used which I hope I can contribute to, both as an Actress and writer .  Here's to a good year ahead for all

• Carys Eleri

Can't wait for spring. Spring glamour plans looking so good. Hugs :)xx

• Kelly Jones

Hey John
    Hope you are well. Have noticed people commenting about the BBC writers award, I havent received anything in the post- when should I hear by?
    Kelly x
  • Wendy Hubbard

Many thanks John

Wendy

• Ray Thomas

Hello John,

Really interested in getting more involved with NTW, despite my age! Any advice about Group/s to join please? Acting and Directing work to date mainly with schools, Colleges, and some Adult groups, but keen to do more and to network! Have offered to work on a voluntary basis at NTW if appropriate and required.

• Jan Miller

Hi John - didn't get a chance to say hello or even goodbye yesterday... we'd had a punishing journey down on the rugby train and were under pressure to shove back on to get home again - 2 carriages! can you believe it???   we survived standing for 2 hours and got seats around Ludlow... despite that, Film Team had an amazing time - thanks again to you all for a fantastic party!