i'm a writer/performance poet from Blackwood. lived in new orleans for a spell. work collaboratively with musicians, directors etc on community projects (done a few with the welsh national opera).
A little more about me:
I am an experienced writer, collaborator, and tutor. I have published poetry, memoir, travel writing and stories. My interest in drama has developed from my love of the spoken word, of good stories told well (I am a performance poet, too). Although I am primarily a poet, I have been involved in writing for theatre for the last few years in order to cultivate my skills. My aim is to write drama for stage and television.
• Last autumn, I was one of the writers invited to the Sherman Theatre’s Spread the Word writing scheme. This was the first comprehensive instruction I had in play-writing. Out of 10 writers, my play, Sound Zero, was one of three selected to be performed script-in-hand late last year. Tutor, playwright Alan Harris.
• In 2010, I attended the Scriptwriting Masterclass with the BBC Writersroom and National Theatre of Wales.
• I have worked as a dramatic writer on several projects with the Welsh National Opera, including writing a musical for disaffected youth in conjunction with the Sherman Theatre, and two singing projects which were performed at the Wales Millennium Centre.
• I was recently interviewed by Huw Edwards in Wales Report about creativity in schools.
• I am a recipient of a Literature Wales writing bursary to help me finish my new collection of poetry, A Certain Darkness.
• I won the John Tripp Award for Spoken Poetry in 2005.
• I received a Charles Coles Travel scholarship to travel back to New Orleans after Katrina in order to write about the experience.
• My collaborations have included bringing poetry and public art together in the pavements in Pontypridd, and I received a commission to write a poem for the new Keir Hardie hospital in Merthyr Tydfil with input of local people.
• Presently, I am one of the writers participating in the Developing Dylan Thomas project which brings cross-genre artists into schools.
Projects I’m working on:
Writing second poetry collection in English, will then begin one in Welsh. re-drafting my play. Collaborating with a music PhD student and an artist (we created soundscapes in response to speaking without telling)
You need to be a member of National Theatre Wales Community to add comments!