Continuing Harassment of The Freedom Theatre, Jenin

Press Release

6 August 2011

 

Acting student at The Freedom Theatre taken by the Israeli army

Today at approximately 15:00 hrs one of the third-year graduating students at The Freedom Theatre was taken by the Israeli army at the Shave Shomeron checkpoint between the Palestinian cities Jenin and Nablus. The student's name is Rami Awni Hwayel, age 20. He was travelling from Ramallah to Jenin together with his fellow students.

Batool Taleb, one of the female acting students who was in the car with Rami describes what happened: "When they got to our car, they took all our IDs and when they saw Rami's ID they told him to get out of the car. Once he was out they immediately handcuffed and blindfolded him and put him in the army jeep."

The students had been rehearsing for their final graduation project directed by the Israeli producer Udi Aloni and take place partially in Ramallah.  

"This is devastating, Rami is playing the main role in 'Waiting for Godot' and doing an amazing job, he's so dedicated to the work. He just left rehearsals today for the weekend to see his family for Ramadan. It's terrible, we want our Pozzo back!", says Udi Aloni.

Rami is the third member of The Freedom Theatre that has been taken by the Israeli army recently. On the 27th of July at 3:00 in the morning the Head Technician Adnan Naghnaghiye and the Chairperson Bilal Saadi were captured by a large group of Israeli soldiers.  

The consequences of these actions only result in more damage to The Freedom Theatre. The theatre once again calls on its friends and supporters around the world to act in order to stop this outrageous harassment by the Israeli army against a cultural establishment.

For more information please contact:

Jacob Gough, acting General manager at +972 (0)595348391, jacob@thefreedomtheatre.org

 

Jonatan Stanczak, co-founder of The Freedom Theatre at +46 (0)707908296 jonatan@thefreedomtheatre.org

Views: 142

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of National Theatre Wales Community to add comments!

Join National Theatre Wales Community

Comment by carmen medway-stephens on August 9, 2011 at 15:52
Hi Jacob, Thanks for getting back to me, sorry to hear of the continuing detainment. Can you contact any human rights organisations? I'm not sure about the letter, I can google it perhaps?
Comment by Jacob Gough on August 7, 2011 at 12:36
All 3 of them are still being detained without access to a lawyer. Did the letter appear in the Guardian or Western Mail?
Comment by carmen medway-stephens on August 7, 2011 at 12:22
Are they being released after questioning or are they still being held?

Blogs and Debates

@NTWtweets on Twitter

image block identification

© 2021   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service