Ballet Cymru is a national touring ballet company for Wales, based in Newport. We are committed to inclusion and innovation in dance and classical ballet, and to the highest standard of collaboration. We are currently seeking a Touring Lighting Technician/Operator to assist with delivery of the highest quality presentation of the lighting and AV elements of all delegated productions, events and projects in an efficient manner that promotes a safe, healthy, and sustainable working environment and a positive culture of engagement.
The ideal candidate will be required to attend Technical Meetings as necessary and apply your practical stage electrical skills, knowledge, and experience to assist the Team to ensure that productions are presented to the highest possible standard, and that the production team’s creative and artistic vision is reproduced accurately and consistently. The ideal candidate must have practical skills, knowledge and experience of theatre electrical practice, practical skills, knowledge and experience of lighting and a working knowledge of current Health & Safety practice relevant to the role.
Shortlisted applicants will be invited to interview on an ongoing basis until the position is filled by the successful candidate.
To apply please provide a CV along with a covering letter specifying their skills and experience for the role to firstname.lastname@example.org Ballet Cymru is an Equal Opportunities Employer and a Registered Charity. We are particularly keen to hear from Global Majority and disabled candidates.
Gwent Ballet Theatre Limited, No. 02535169 Registered Charity No. 1000855
Spring Season- Monday May 8th 2022,
until Saturday July 16th 2022 (10 Weeks)
Autumn Season- Monday September 18th 2022,
until Saturday December 3rd 2022 (11 Weeks)
Salary: 600 per week
Discretionary Relocation 75 per week for duration of project
Allowance: (when relocating to Newport and surrounding area)
Per Diems: 25.80 for each overnight away from Newport
Pension: Options available
Holiday Entitlement: Paid holiday periods during contract period
(7/13th of a day per week worked)
Deadline for Applications: Application submissions will be reviewed and
shortlisted on receipt.
Start Date: Monday May 8th 2022
Details: Spring Season- 3 weeks preparation in Newport
6 weeks Touring and Rehearsal in Newport
1 week equipment store/wrap up
Autumn Season- 2 weeks preparation in Newport
8 weeks Touring and Rehearsal in Newport
1 week equipment store/wrap up
Job title: Touring Lighting Technician/Operator
Responsible to: Artistic Director/Assistant Artistic
Main purpose of the role:
To deliver the highest quality presentation of the lighting of all delegated productions, events
and projects in an efficient manner that promotes a safe, healthy, and sustainable working
environment and a positive culture of engagement.
Touring Lighting Technician/Operator will be an integral part of the Technical Team,
delivering the lighting for productions, maintaining standards, and developing performance.
The role will be based at Ballet Cymru’s studio in Newport during the production and touring
period and will involve travel to venues within the UK. Ballet Cymru average approximately 3
venues a week during the touring weeks and return to company base wherever safe and
• Attend Technical Meetings and Rehearsals as necessary to assist with the formulation
and dissemination of Technical Specifications of Ballet Cymru productions to theatres.
• Liaise with Education and Artistic Staff to help plan education, Friends and other events
• Liaise with choreographers, lighting designers and colleagues to ensure open and
• Liaise with colleagues from venues to ensure they have the information they need, and
to mutually agree a timetable for the Get In, Performance and Get Out.
• Produce, in Agreement with senior staff and the Technical Team, a timetable for each
season including overnight stays, Get In times and mileage ensuring all Health and
Safety, Equity, and ITC Regulations are adhered to.
Production & Touring
• Help load and share the driving of technical vehicle from company base to venues and
between venues ensuring all equipment and set is appropriate to the production and
• Safely rig (Where a pre-rig is impossible) and focus venue lighting equipment.
• Assist in hanging sets, rigging and focusing and AV Video Projection equipment.
• Assist in setting up any sound system where necessary.
• Programme theatre lighting desk and operate for performances.
(Including Relaxed Performances and Curtain Raisers)
• Apply your practical stage electrical skills, knowledge, and experience to assist the
Team to ensure that productions are presented to the highest possible standard, and
that the production team’s creative and artistic vision is reproduced accurately and
• Assist with ensuring that areas used by Technical Department are kept clean and tidy,
and that all equipment is correctly stored and maintained.
• Assist with the Get In and Get Out of toured equipment.
Education and Events
• Assist with the set up and running of education and Friends events.
Support initiatives designed to encourage the recruitment and development of a workforce
that reflects the communities in which we work and perform.
Administration & Finance
• Work with the company Administrator and Technical Team to assisting with the
administration of time sheets, holiday records, and other staffing related data.
• Ensure, with the Technical Team, that the Technical Vehicle is properly maintained
and cared for during the touring activities.
• Maintain a record of all money spent on fuel in collaboration with Ballet Cymru
Health & Safety
• Assist with the promotion of a positive safety culture within the stage department,
adhering to the Company’s Health & Safety policy, rules, and regulations at all times.
• Produce and follow Risk Assessments whenever necessary.
• Produce and distribute Access Riders when necessary.
• Assist with ensuring high levels of public safety and stakeholder care and work in such
a way as to promote a culture of safety.
• To behave in accordance with our values
• To maintain confidentiality and observe data protection and associated guidelines
• To always ensure compliance with our policies and procedures.
• To undertake any training appropriate to the post.
The duties in this job description are not exhaustive and may be altered at any time to reflect
the changing needs of the organisation. The post holder will be required to undertake such
duties and responsibilities as may reasonably be expected from time to time within the scope
and grading of the post.
Touring Lighting Technician/Operator
The Ideal Candidate
• The desire to acquire new experiences and knowledge and to learn new skills.
• Focussed on the safe, practical delivery of stage lighting.
• Good driving skills focusing on safety.
• Good communication skills, both written and verbal.
• Self-motivated and pro-active with the ability to work calmly under pressure and
prioritise conflicting demands.
• A sympathetic approach to people working under pressure in an artistic environment.
• The ability to work as a member of a small team as well as the ability to work
independently or to supervise others.
Skills, knowledge, and experience:
• Knowledge and experience of theatre electrical practice
• Knowledge and experience of lighting systems
• Basic knowledge of ETC lighting desks is desirable.
• A working knowledge of current Health & Safety practice relevant to the role
• A flexible approach to the requirements of the job.
• A clean, full drivers’ licence
• *Knowledge of working inclusively including creating inclusive spaces.
• *A recognised Health and Safety qualification and/or the skills, knowledge, and
experience to obtain a qualification with suitable training.
• *The potential to grow into a more senior role within technical theatre.
• *Welsh language speaker/writer.
* Points marked with an asterisk (*) are desirable rather than essential
To apply please provide a CV along with a covering letter specifying their skills and
experience for the role to email@example.com
Ballet Cymru is an Equal Opportunities Employer and a Registered Charity. We are
particularly keen to hear from Global Majority and disabled candidates.
Shortlisted applicants will be invited to interview on an ongoing basis until the position is
filled by the successful candidate.
Please contact us if you have any special requirements or access needs.
Ballet Cymru is registered in England and Wales as
Gwent Ballet Theatre Limited, No. 02535169
Registered Charity No. 1000855
Add a Comment