Theatre Critic Of Wales Awards/One Man Two Guvnors at Wales Millennium Centre

I hate to use this awful phrase, but these past few months have been crazy. 

As an active member of the Young Critics scheme, I somehow found myself on the panel for the upcoming (and first ever) Theatre Critics Of Wales Awards. I've been reviewing for some time, but being a sort of judge for theatre in Wales was certainly challenging. I suppose the inferiority complex was inevitable; sat in a room with renowned critics discussing why I though a specific piece of theatre deserved the award, but I soon got over that. The process has been so much fun, and has enhanced my love for the industry. 

Being a critic who writes in both English and Welsh, it was lovely to be able to nominate some Welsh language theatre for the awards. After all, we have seen a sort of rejuvenation of Welsh Language Theatre of late, with Sherman Cymru and Theatr Genedlaethol producing some fantastic pieces. Welsh language theatre is finally getting the recognition it deserves. 

I was also happy to be a reader of the scripts shortlisted for the Writer's Guild script writing award category. I got to read some of the best scripts from this year, including Tim Price's 'Radicalistation of Bradley Manning' and Dafydd James' 'Llwyth'. It was great to read the scripts, to see the talented writing behind the productions. In fact, I think The Writer's Guild playwright award will be my favorite of the evening; I can't wait!

Tonight on the BBC Wales Arts show, hosted by Nicola Heywood Thomas, who is incidentally the presenter for the awards ceremony on Saturday, we will be chatting about the awards which take place at Sherman Cymru on Saturday evening. I will also be giving a review of National Theatre's 'One Man Two Guvnors' which I saw at the Wales Millennium Centre last night.

6.30pm, BBC Radio Wales this evening.

Exciting!!

http://walestheatreawards.com/

Views: 286

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of National Theatre Wales Community to add comments!

Join National Theatre Wales Community

Comment by Chelsey Gillard on January 23, 2013 at 3:46

As another Young Critic I know how you're feeling - its great to be a part of such an exciting event!

Looking forward to your radio interview - bet it's great!

Comment by Guy O'Donnell on January 23, 2013 at 3:40

Nice blog about all of the work you have been doing Elin, you have certainly been busy!

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service