What if a little girl coming into the world had the ability to treat a father’s addiction and change his life for the better?

Based on a true story, ‘Butter Beans’ is a realistic look into the lives of a family torn apart by addiction. In suburban Wiltshire, protagonist Mollie is an 8-year-old girl with a vibrant attitude and an adult mind. She lives with her mother, Lauren who works very hard to provide a comfortable life for them both. Ex-husband and lousy father, Steven lives in a run down, dirty and destroyed flat. After a long custody battle, Steven gets to see Mollie once in a while. His alcoholism leads him to believe that it’s acceptable to neglect his responsibilities, irrationally lose his temper and display his substance abuse in front of her. Will Steven be able to stop his behaviour before it’s too late?

- Synopsis. 

My name is Rosie Badder and I am currently in my final months studying Creative Media Production at Cardiff and Vale College. I am looking to produce a short film that I have written as one of my final units at the college. Filming will take place at three separate locations in Cardiff, two of them being in Cathay's and the other in Canton. All three of the locations are indoors. I am looking for a girl aged between 7-13 to play the character of Mollie. 

Brief Character Descriptions

A young girl with a mature mind. She has an eccentric, loud and bold personality but is riddled with anxiety. She wants what’s best for her parents and will do anything to keep them both happy – even if that means lying to them.

Most important thing to know about character: Although she is young, Mollie has a mature mind. She has been exposed to adult situations early on in her life which has caused her some problems growing up. She is not a bad child; she is a child that is dealing with a lot of pain. The way that her father treats her has had a massive impact on the way she handles her emotions. She would do anything to stop her mother from hurting, even if it means keeping her father’s addiction a secret.

THIS ROLE IS UNPAID. AUDITIONS CAN BE HELD THIS WEEK TUESDAY - FRIDAY AT CARDIFF AND VALE COLLEGE AT ANY TIME. CONTACT ME IF YOU ARE INTERESTED. I CAN PROVIDE THE SCRIPT BEFORE THE AUDITION IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN THE ROLE. I ALSO HAVE TEACHER RECOMMENDATION/PERMISSION IF NEEDED. 

Views: 125

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of National Theatre Wales Community to add comments!

Join National Theatre Wales Community

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service