Having emerged from a rehearsal process which has been amazing, provocative and at times difficult.  We now have a great show which needs to be seen by as many people as possible across Wales and beyond. Our opening night had a powerful response in rural Mid Wales and our sellout show in Newport needed extra seats.  The show left people speechless and in tears on both occasions.  Friends in Wales, Manchester and further afield, come and see The Island and help us spread the word on social media #Fiotheisland, original cast members have been!  A powerful show performed by 2 amazing actors, Wela Mbusi and Joe Shire.  Supported by a selfless producing and production team led by Shane Nickels. Trust me you will not be disappointed! 

A show about colonial subjugation in a country (Wales) which is both a victim and also a beneficiary of the wider colonial project, means we in Wales can really empathise with the issues of Apartheid South Africa and its lasting legacy.  Here are a few comments from audience members:

“…a hugely powerful and moving piece of theatre, so impressively delivered by Joe and Wela as ‘John’ and ‘Winston’; they were giants on the stage that night. It was a privilege to be there; to be made to confront the uncomfortable truth of a tragic human injustice, yet see the courage of the human spirit prevail despite that injustice and all conveyed so movingly by Joe and Wela is an experience that will stay with me for a very, very long time.” Jennifer Owen-Adams, Chair of Powys Dance 

"I went to see the opening of The Island @DawnsPowysDance by @wearefio, I saw an absolutely captivating play that kicks you in your solar plexus, makes you laugh & empathic towards characters, Winston played by @WMbusi & John @JosephShire it was brilliant! @abdul_shayek has Vision." Shirley May, Director of Young Identity

Tickets are selling fast so get your here for the remaining shows: 

www.wearefio.co.uk/tickets

Hope to see you during the run!

Views: 161

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of National Theatre Wales Community to add comments!

Join National Theatre Wales Community

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service