Chapter Arts, Cardiff.

Sat 17th December.

Where is home? Somewhere you feel you belong? Or under the love of a parent who will forever disagree with you but with the best of intentions?

Rebecca and Alice: a mother and daughter divided by a generation, religion and men. In the dead of night Alice returns to the maternal home and Rebecca wakes, only for light to be shone on the darkest corners and for truths and revelations to come out.

It takes Alice the entire length of the play to answer Rebecca’s simple repeated question ‘Why are you here?’, continually changing the subject and disagreeing over the way things had been. Rebecca never seeing Alice’s pain or loneliness growing up in a valley where nothing changed or moved and being concerned with the way things are supposed to be – ‘What would the neighbours think’ and the Welsh Methodist mindset. Alice never seeing her mother’s joy at her little girl and giving her everything she could. Yet their lives following such similar paths as it is both husbands resort to violence, though one through drink and the other through God. The Grass isn’t always greener on the other side.

A small thing struck me, although it never slowed the plays pace or strong impact, the combination of American dream images and those of the ‘Mormon’ church are polar opposites. As the Church of Latter Day Saints believes in a simple life, banning much of everyday modern life whereas the American dream is big houses, cars and easy ready money. Or is it simply showing Rebecca’s limited understanding of the wide world outside her small Welsh valley? We are after all no different – there are striking similarities between the beliefs of both churches. Except of course the familiar ‘more tea’ and the very Welsh way of tea and talk solving every problem under the sun; something that always brings a smile. Routed firmly in Welsh Valley mentality and custom, the play used those conventions skilfully and without cliché or stereotype.  

Utah Bride is the first full length play by 1.618 Theatre Company, written by Carmen Medway-Stephens and as a play in development was shown script in hand. The director, actors and writer were given a week to explore the text for the two nights of performance in Chapter and even with everything stripped back and a simple a set, it was about more than just the words in the play as some script in hander’s can be but the play itself. With alternative endings on each night, the Saturday ending fitted perfectly, leaving the audience with the emotions of a turbulent night in front of them yet completely satisfied.

Utah Bride was a piece of theatre to feed the soul and make you think. I wish the writer and team all the best in taking it to a full performance and on tour, particularly as it is now going to be translated into Welsh.

Picture is the plays promotional material/poster

Views: 231

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of National Theatre Wales Community to add comments!

Join National Theatre Wales Community

Comment by Rachel Williams on December 22, 2011 at 12:21

Hi Carmen,

Thanks for clarifying, I think there is a certain generalisation with both the American dream and the Mormon's, many only see what is given to them, but same with a lot of things I guess! I think you would be the expert definately though then. I like the idea of a Welsh dream and yes I suppose we do have one.

Comment by carmen medway-stephens on December 21, 2011 at 8:40

Hey Rachel, Thanks for the review and the support.

I spent an entire summer with Mormon missionaries, it was one of best summers I had as a teenager. My mother was convinced I'd run off with one and my friend married one.

I'm still friendly with one from Utah, he has a beautiful wife and family (5) and is hugely successful. This seems to be the norm, and what struck me is their work/life/family ethos. The American mormons are very much part of the American Dream. They founded Vegas and strive for perfection and living a wholesome life. I was very much aware how happy/successful/financially stable they are.

But what struck me in the end is the Welsh Dream. I think being welsh we have a welsh dream...not sure what it is exactly but its something I would like to explore further.

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service