Information

Writers

An official National Theatre Wales group

Writers who want to be part of National Theatre Wales, share ideas, get feedback from each other, and hear about opportunities

Members: 481
Latest Activity: Jan 30, 2023

Please Read Our Guidelines To Artists

Before sending in any scripts or idea submissions, it is very important that you read guidelines on our Your Work page

Discussion Forum

Looking for Welsh Playwrights for Scratch Night in London.

Started by CHIPPY LANE PRODUCTIONS LTD. Aug 7, 2016.

Collaborators Needed! 2 Replies

Started by Camille Naylor. Last reply by sean donovan Dec 1, 2015.

Looking for a writer to collaborate on an idea. 2 Replies

Started by Caley Powell. Last reply by Catrin Fflur Huws Mar 3, 2015.

NTW Dramaturgy Project - Beginnings

Started by Richard Hurford Oct 20, 2014.

ONiiiT: The Power of Words

Started by Sophie Chei Hickson Aug 21, 2014.

Comment Wall

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of Writers to add comments!

Comment by Kaite O'Reilly on February 18, 2014 at 4:19

A quickie on the hoof...Re-John's message about dramaturgs and NTW:  It's great to have the opportunity to discuss this, and see what writers might want. For my own pennyworth, both as a playwright who works with dramaturgs and as someone who works as a mentor or dramaturg on other peoples' scripts: I was part of a panel on 'the end of new writing' some time ago with David Eldridge, Fin Kennedy, Lyn Gardner and a few others at West Yorkshire Playhouse. Part of what we discussed was described as 'the hell of the new writing development process.' We all spoke out against the 'one size fits all' approach to developing work and the need for bespoke dramaturging... ie, finding the ideal dramaurg to support and challenge and nurture the work - fitting the ambitions, aesthetic, form,and content of the work in development, just as you might find the 'right' cast or director for the piece when completed. So I personally would encourage a brokering between artists which is really going to assist the writer make the work, rather than having one or two 'official' dramaturgs whose personal predilections and skills, although strong, may not work for everyone. The limitations of having one official dramaturg or literary manager attached to a company is also one of the areas playwrights complain about when we get together and share experiences. I know this myself as a dramaturg - I have strengths that work for some forms of theatre styles, but not for others. So for what it's worth, I would cheer on using any funding for bespoke development....

And Tim and fellow writers, apologies, I'll miss the Writers Guild meeting - am in Ireland working as a dramaturg...

Cheers and good luck to all!

Kaite x

Comment by Jaye L Swift on February 18, 2014 at 2:40

Gosh, I thought next Wednesday meant 26 February, which I would have been able to make.  Please let us all  who cannot attend know the outcome.  Thanks

Comment by National Theatre Wales on February 18, 2014 at 2:39

Hi All, one of the things that grew out of last year's Dirty, Gifted and Welsh event last year was a conversation about Dramaturgs.  Basically a number of writers emphasised the importance of feedback on scripts, and several writers also expressed an interest in giving more feedback.  

One of the strengths or new writing in Wales has been the willingness of writers to support each other - and particularly of more established writers to support up and coming writers.  We wondered whether there might be a away to structure some of this support into the offer for writers from NTW.  So, for example, we have quite a lot of writers who are working on 'seed commissions' for us - early ideas for plays.  Would it be helpful to match each of them with another writer who might be able to give support and feedback on the ideas as they develop?  (This might feel like 'safer' feedback that feedback from me - which inevitably gets tied up in a writer wondering whether the seed commission will be chosen to move forward to a full commission.)

There are several other ways that dramaturgs might be used at NTW - suggesting writers that we should be talking to, for example.  Or being part of a conversation about our aspirations for Welsh theatre writing.

I've kept a bit of money back in the coming financial year (April 1 onwards) budget for this, so I'm interested in people's thoughts about whether this might be a good idea, and if so what form it should take (e.g. should we have one or two people appointed as dramaturgs for the year, or should it be a more flexible group, or individuals chosen on a case by case basis?)  I'd be keen to hear your views.  

Comment by Kelsey Richards on February 18, 2014 at 2:16

Thanks for letting us know about next Wednesday, Tim.

I'll be there. Please do come say hello if you see me standing awkwardly on my own, fellow writers! 

Comment by meredydd barker on February 17, 2014 at 23:23
Comment by Tim Price on February 17, 2014 at 11:53

Next Wednesday 19th, at Chapter 8pm, the Writers' Guild will be holding an open meeting about new writing in Wales. We'll be talking about, changes at the Sherman, a Playwrights' Studio Wales, and the future of new writing in Wales. All welcome, would be great to meet some people from this group there.  

Comment by Rowena Louise Bernice Scurlock on February 16, 2014 at 22:51
Hi all Leftfield theatres fundraiser is on this Wednesday at the Gwdihiw cafe bar in Cardiff at 7.30pm. It's £2 on the door come along and support new local talent. For more info email leftfieldtheatrecompany@gmail.com
Comment by Jamie Daniel Lee on February 16, 2014 at 5:09

'Rough Draught' returns to Porter's Bar Cardiff on Sat 22nd February with four new short script in hand performances directed by Jamie Lee, Carri Munn, Lynn Hunter and Paul Gingell and features these pieces:

Old Friends by Tim Collins
The Hunt by Andrew Cullen 
Show You're Working by Trev Williams
Ceramic by Steven Quantick
If you'd like to come along £5 gets buys you a ticket which includes a free drink at the bar.
4.00pm in 'The Other Room'.
Tickets can be purchased here:
Comment by Caley Powell on February 4, 2014 at 3:00

Hi,

I am a freelance casting director originally from Merthyr Tydfil but currently in working and living in London. I am looking to connect with Welsh theatre companies, producers, writers, directors and actors so I can come back and work back home as I currently come back just for a holiday to see my family and friends.

In London I am part of a group called The League Of Professional Theatre Women, it was originally created in America but last year a branch was set up in London. The aim of the league is to be a body that seeks to promote visibility and increase opportunities for women in the Professional Theatre.
The group unites all female professionals of the theatrical industry in the UK, to share ideas, news, promote events and support each other's work! We also want to fight for gender parity in the industry and are looking at campaigning for ways to change the industry to create more opportunites for women.

We are on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/484847981569852/ and Twitter @LofPTW and have meetings in London but I want to bring the League to Wales, primarily Cardiff first, so am looking for help from any woman who can book us a venue to arrange the first meet up for the end of the month and looking for anyone who maybe interested in joining the Welsh branch of the League.

Thanks and best wishes,

Caley Powell

@CaleyPCasting  

Comment by Julie Bainbridge on February 3, 2014 at 22:12

Thanks, Adam. Will pick up a copy today.

Members (481)

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service