Information

Writers

An official National Theatre Wales group

Writers who want to be part of National Theatre Wales, share ideas, get feedback from each other, and hear about opportunities

Members: 481
Latest Activity: Jan 30, 2023

Please Read Our Guidelines To Artists

Before sending in any scripts or idea submissions, it is very important that you read guidelines on our Your Work page

Discussion Forum

Looking for Welsh Playwrights for Scratch Night in London.

Started by CHIPPY LANE PRODUCTIONS LTD. Aug 7, 2016.

Collaborators Needed! 2 Replies

Started by Camille Naylor. Last reply by sean donovan Dec 1, 2015.

Looking for a writer to collaborate on an idea. 2 Replies

Started by Caley Powell. Last reply by Catrin Fflur Huws Mar 3, 2015.

NTW Dramaturgy Project - Beginnings

Started by Richard Hurford Oct 20, 2014.

ONiiiT: The Power of Words

Started by Sophie Chei Hickson Aug 21, 2014.

Comment Wall

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of Writers to add comments!

Comment by Guy O'Donnell on September 27, 2014 at 3:06

I would really hope that Gender equality is a current priority for ACW.

I have just been doing a little research on this areas and found this information below on the,

Gender Equality Duty which came into force on 6th April 2007 and applies to all public authorities in England, Scotland and Wales. 

General duty:

There is a legal requirement on all public authorities, when carrying out all their functions, to have due regard to the need (1) To eliminate unlawful discrimination and harassment on the grounds of sex, and

(2) To promote equality of opportunity between women and men.

I would imagine all organisations support the aims of the duty but would be interested to know what the data relating to actually employment opportunities is.

Personally I would hope a study in Wales could secure funding, as we know it's a separate nation with two national languages, there may be barriers to Gender equality  in Wales that are different to that of England. Or thinking positively Wales may be more progressive than England in areas of Gender equality, so could be a chance to highlight good practice. Without the research though this is all speculative.

Comment by Lisa Parry on September 27, 2014 at 3:01

Brilliant - see you there!

Comment by Lisa Parry on September 27, 2014 at 2:44

Hi Rachael,

Fab. We're having a company meeting post our Fun Palaces show to discuss future plans, so will drop you a line after that? (New company looks exciting!) Lisa.

Comment by Lisa Parry on September 27, 2014 at 2:32

Hey,

Gender just isn't on their list of funding priorities. Or it wasn't when we tried, which wasn't too long ago, but it was pre-Tonic. ACE part funded the Tonic study, along with Paul Hamlyn. It certainly would be worth going back to them about it - we do intend to. It's just a real shame as Wales could have taken the lead on it really. But we'll look into Paul Hamlyn some more. The trouble is, to do something like that, we need at least two funders. Hopefully though the English situation might persuade them it's a good thing to do now. (Though whether Paul Hamlyn would basically fund a replica study again, I'm not sure. They may feel that the point's been made. Worth a try though.)

Comment by Guy O'Donnell on September 27, 2014 at 2:25

Hi Lisa

In light of the Tonic/Advance study and recent articles and research into gender equality I am very surprised to read that,

"Agent 160 tried to get funding for a study but we were turned down by ACW because gender isn't on their funding criteria"

I wonder if you have raised this with them and if they have responded in any way?

I may well be wrong be it looks like Tonic's Advance study was funded by the Paul Hamlyn Foundation. Perhaps it would be worth approaching those organisations and ACW to inquire if they would all support something similar in Wales?

Comment by Lisa Parry on September 27, 2014 at 1:12

Hi Catherine,

I think it'd be interesting to talk about where women are at in terms of Welsh theatre - in terms of writing but directing/acting too. Is there a Welsh response to the situation? Figures we (Agent 160) got (v rough) were that about 30 per cent of new work here was by women, but there's never been collected data as such. Is there anything that could be done to improve the figure? Should finding out what the situation is be more of a priority? Agent 160 tried to get funding for a study but we were turned down by ACW because gender isn't on their funding criteria. But now, what with Tonic Theatre being funded for their work in England by ACE, we really are massively behind on this topic. So it might be interesting to discuss what could be done to help female playwrights more? There's been some interesting discussions on this in Birmingham via the Guild lately, but nothing as such here.

Comment by Catherine Paskell on September 25, 2014 at 11:42

Hello writers - the Dirty, Gifted & Welsh news just doesn't stop... here is the blog where you can sign up to perform your work and have your writing performed at Dirty Gifted & Welsh.

Comment by Catherine Paskell on September 25, 2014 at 10:38

Thanks Bethan and Wyn for your enthusiasm and your suggestions! So it seems like a mix would be good: the theoretical and big-picture discussions, as well as more practical discussions that have tangible outcomes for writers. Please do suggest any topics that I haven't suggested - there must be loads more! 

Comment by Wyn Mason on September 24, 2014 at 22:17

Thank you Catherine for your posting.  A fine list of questions, I'm sure they will appeal to a diverse range of writers.  Great if they all could be discussed!  For me personally I'd be particularly interested in addressing the post Scottish referendum one and developing distinct Welsh-based voices.

Comment by James Robert Auheb on September 24, 2014 at 8:12

Hello!

This Thursday at 7.30 PM is the final session of ‘Theatre Playgroup’ in the Victor Salvi Room of the Wales Millennium Centre and we’d love you to come and join us to see what we’ve been up to!

Over the past 6 weeks a group of writers, Actors, Directors… and well other people passionate about Theatre have been meeting together on a Thursday evening to ‘Play’… we’ve been exploring ‘Betrayal’ by Harold Pinter, workshop-ing it, and develop some exciting new writing inspired by the play.

This final week is the sharing of some of the scenes from the play, and the new writing we’ve developed from the play.

It will last about an hour and a half and there might even be a cheeky glass of wine too!

Check out the event pages…

http://community.nationaltheatrewales.org/events/theatre-playgroup-...

https://www.facebook.com/events/770460516353158

Members (481)

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service