The Peoples Think Tank

Information

The Peoples Think Tank

The People’s Think Tank is an interdisciplinary group of problem-solvers; artists, NTW TEAM members, members of the communities of Wales

The Think Tank’s aims are to:

• give a collective voice for the people of Wales, around issues of democracy and politics, arts and culture;
  • pursue tangible outcomes from the Big Democracy Project;
  • encourage a new collective voice; and to
  • help shape the next phase of The Big Democracy Project.

They will do this by:

• working within the Big Democracy Project to listen and contribute to conversation;
  • learning, analysing, and sharing ideas online;
  • holding periodical online debates;
  • presenting some of their findings to the National Assembly in March 2016;
  • react to government policy, proposals, papers and recommendations; and
  • influencing the direction of the Big Democracy Project;

If you’d like to join the People’s Think Tank, please contact Gavin Porter at gavinporter@nationaltheatrewales.org or 02920 353 070.

There’s no criteria – anyone can become a member, anywhere in Wales.

Members: 50
Latest Activity: Feb 16, 2017

Discussion Forum

When will the Establishment and party leaders hear the cry of the voiceless? 2 Replies

I spoke to a young British man the other day who was born and raised in Wales and who's children are born and raised in Cardiff ' who said to me I'm having sleepless nights lately as I'm worried…Continue

Started by Yusuf salaban mohamed. Last reply by Yusuf salaban mohamed Apr 23, 2015.

Comment Wall

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of The Peoples Think Tank to add comments!

Comment by Angharad Evans on June 16, 2015 at 3:55

NTW ‘The Big Democracy’ at Llandrindod Wells at Celf O Gwmpas. This is a call for positive action in the eyes of Austerity. We have been exploring the effects that Austerity has on Disabled people within our communities. Cuts spell the end of independent living for many.

Together as Artists with such passion and commitment to the Arts and the positive changes this has on our lives, we have shared Poetry, Art, Life stories and struggles, puppetry and song.  

These are just a few of the things we have been discussing:

The introduction of Pip 2 years ago (Personal independent payment). Sick and disabled people’s dignity are suffering. The press go on to demonise the marginalised people within our communities. Delays, incompetent rejections, and a lack of financial support. Living in remote places and not having access to transport.

Friday 19th June at Celf O Gwmpas, Speak up, Listen, and Support. 

Comment by Rhiannon White on June 15, 2015 at 10:06

Incredibly inspired by this group of performers - direct action against BPs corporate sponsorship of a public building. Beautiful & brave. http://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2015/jun/15/tate-modern-turb...

Comment by Chris Tally Evans on June 13, 2015 at 1:42

Two days of manic creation, rejection and honing, but I think it's looking good. Still hard work to do but a great bunch of people and a vibrant atmosphere. Just needs lots of people to come along now to the Celf Centre, Llandrindod Wells next Friday 'cos that's the missing component. Can't wait. Thanks to everybody for their input and support.

Comment by Gerry Gold on June 12, 2015 at 7:04

Hello to all. I've just joined. This is my first post. I hope it stirs some interest......

looking forward to some creative discussion....

Gerry Gold

This is your invitation to join the planning group for the first Assembly for Democracy in Swansea.

There are a host of organisations and thousands of people actively demanding and working for democratic change in the UK. Many are inspired by movements for democracy globally.

Among them are OpenDemocracy, the Democratic Reform Party and Occupy Democracy. Many people argue that grassroots democracy is the answer to some of the big issues of our time.

According to the National Theatre of Wales Big Democracy Project

“It could be argued that our political system is at breaking point. Some say politicians act in the interest of corporations and not of the people. Throughout the world, there seems to be an air of discontentment.”

The Assemblies for Democracy aim to share ideas, views and information and explore how these individual voices can become a movement for real democracy.

Working together we can begin to create a real democracy, where people themselves decide what’s best for their communities, towns, cities and workplaces.

We hope that Assemblies for Democracy will take off in every community, town and city and, inspired by historic struggles, begin to challenge the present undemocratic system.

We’re learning as we go and can already benefit from the experiences of others. Interviews with the organisers of Assemblies in London, Manchester and Glasgow are here

In Swansea, for the first time, we’ll be using VocalEyes, a made-in-Wales, digital democracy tool designed to collect ideas and convert them into action.

We think it’s time to take responsibility for ourselves through direct democracy and action. We need to clearly express our collective needs.

So if you agree with us that it’s time to remodel democracy, let us know if you would be willing to join us in initiating the Assembly for Democracy in Swansea.

Interested?

reply to this, or

email directly to a4d@vocaleyes.org

Join in the Swansea Assembly for Democracy here: vocaleyes.org/assemblies-for-democracy-swansea

Comment by Gavin Porter on June 4, 2015 at 23:20

Hi everyone, we have arranged a 16 seater mini bus to take people to the Big Democracy event in Mid Wales. The bus will be leaving at 5pm, outside the National Museum of Wales and will be leaving Llandrindod Wells at 10pm, arriving back in Cardiff at 11.30pm. Let me know if you'd like a space.

Comment by Gavin Porter on June 1, 2015 at 3:42

Hi all, Celf O Gwmpas' proposal was chosen for The Big Democracy and will be taking place on 19th June in Llandrindod Wells. We are arranging a minibus from Cardiff (details to be confirmed this week). If you would like to a space on the minibus then please let me know. If your interested in attending but not travelling from Cardiff drop me an email gavinporter@nationaltheatrewales.org 

“Our event will bring together disabled artists, personal support assistants and representatives from support organisations and agencies and the wider community to explore how welfare cuts are impacting on disabled people in our community.

Disabled people are an easy target for cuts. Since the beginning of the austerity measures taken by the coalition government, disabled people have been disproportionally bearing the brunt through the ‘bedroom tax’ and reclassification of disability benefits, as well as being unfairly stigmatised in the mainstream press.” – Celf o Gwmpas

Comment by Rhiannon White on May 29, 2015 at 10:06

Political Theatre at its best, incredible idea

http://www.the-congo-tribunal.com

Comment by Gavin Porter on May 22, 2015 at 0:47
Comment by Gavin Porter on May 18, 2015 at 0:10

We hosted an online chat last week with 3 representatives from the mid Wales #BigDemocracy shortlist and others. Towards the end of the conversation we talked a little about 'The psychology of austerity' and Morag Colquhoun shared the link below where Dr Carl Walker, of Psychologists against Austerity, discusses this idea. http://www.thepeoplesassembly.org.uk/keeping_you_up_to_date_the_new...

Comment by Gavin Porter on May 8, 2015 at 2:27

Hi everyone. As you may know we are now in the voting phase of the Big Democracy Project nationaltheatrewales.org/big-democracy-project#midwalesproposals and we have arranged for an online conversation with people involved with the three shortlisted ideas and I’d like to invite you to join the conversation. We will be talking about the three issues that have been shortlisted as well as anything you may want to discuss. This chat will happen on NTW’s community site community.nationaltheatrewales.org at 2pm on Thursday 14th May

Members (49)

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service