A Sound Man's Big Jump - Calling All People!

Ok then,

Hello you.

This here is the first of what will be many blogs detailing what I do, what I’m about to do and quite possibly streams of conscious ramblings. I’d love for people to give me opinions, let me know what you think of stuff I’m doing, get in touch if you want to work on something together or simply tell me to shut up – I love conversation so please, lets pretend we’ve known each other for ages.

So, here it goes. I’m a sound designer and musician. I like everyday sounds. I like scraps, hidden gems, small little moments of beauty that are sometimes missed. I try to paint pictures, react to other art forms around me through sound. I like stories, briefs and creative challenges. Here’s a list of my work so far:

The Drowned Girl (Kelly Jones), The Ballad of Ivor Jones (Nerea Martinez de Lecea), Who’s Afraid? (Rhodri Thomas), Day To Go (Bridget Keehan), Angel – C (L.M.H.C & Clare Parry Jones), Lleisiau (Good Cop Bad Cop) Crazy Gary’s Mobile Disco (Waking Exploits), ‘Transitions’ (NTW, Theatre Iolo & Run Ragged), ‘Under You’ (Ellis J Wright), ‘No Place Like Home’ (Ffotogallery), ‘A Sense of Energy’ (Cardiff School of Social Sciences), ‘Change Your Mind’ (Mess Up The Mess, Taking Flight, Neath And Port Talbot Youth Council and Services), ‘The Drowned Girl’ – Further development (Kelly Jones), ‘Ti.Me’ (Cwmni Pluen), NSFW (Waking Exploits) & BLUD (otherMother).

I’m in my third year of working in this area as a professional (I use this word loosely as I don’t think there is such a thing. We’re all people, being creative, learning along the way, there’s always someone who knows less than me, and plenty who know more).

I decided this week to become a full time freelancer. I quit my job, made a plan and this is part one of that plan. Not an easy decision. What do we give in to? The urge to create? Or the fear of not having enough money? What if? What if? What if it all goes wrong? What if I end up screwed financially? What if I miss a million opportunities because I couldn’t get out of THAT day in work? It brings in to question many things. What do I believe in? What do I love and care about? What the hell am I supposed to be doing on this planet anyway? Does it even matter?

Well I answered a few of these: I care about creativity, I care about making things, focusing on the good stuff out there. I care about happiness without money. The feeling of satisfaction from a job well done and meeting all sorts of incredible people and money being the furthest away it can possible be. I want to make things and help others make things. I believe that way too many people are shoved in to work that is miserable for them. I agree that schools (as far as I’m aware) are still educating so many OUT of creativity (I recommend this TED talk: https://www.ted.com/talks/ken_robinson_says_schools_kill_creativity). I just don’t agree that we’re supposed to be living the way that we’re living! Why cant we all have everything that could allow us as a species to grow and explore? Why are we still stuck in this rut of work, war, competition, money, money and more fucking money! It’s simply mental (I mean this in a metaphorical and actual way). Its crazy! But its also all in our heads. I have faith in creativity and our ability to open our own minds and others through different ways of looking at the world. Theorising, philosophising about the very nature of existence. Realising how small we are but how amazing the beautiful things we can create could be. Zoom out, look at stars, look at planets, look at the phenomenon that is life. We created money. It did not always exist. We can change it.

Are we as a species supposed to pop in to existence, work away our best days, and IF you’re lucky enough to get to retirement THEN you can relax and have a life? All this to keep an imaginary, outdated concept going? Fuck off to that!

I will miss my old job but I just know it’s the right decision. I don’t know what that gut feeling is connected to but we all have moments of clarity. I don’t know what the feeling is but it IS there. I know this is right.

So I’m done with the job and moving in to a new era in my little life. I started this so I could chat to people, get advice, give advice and meet everyone! I want to meet you, work with you….yes YOU! Let’s build a collective. Let’s do something amazing! Let’s be fantastic! (Had to get a Dr.Who quote in there somewhere!).

If you want a sound man then you know where I am: young443@hotmail.com – 07772026564 – www.acouchristo.wordpress.com – you know now anyway.

Lets do this.

Xx

Views: 214

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of National Theatre Wales Community to add comments!

Join National Theatre Wales Community

Comment by Christopher Young on October 6, 2015 at 0:05

Thanks for coming to see us! :) Hope all is well

Comment by Matt Ball on October 5, 2015 at 22:13

Good decision Chris - thought the sound for Drowned Girl was great.

Comment by Christopher Young on October 5, 2015 at 6:19

Thanks Gavin :)

Comment by Gavin Porter on October 5, 2015 at 4:32

Go on Chris, a big leap of faith but I'm 100% sure you do great things.

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service