Call for artists! Forest Fringe Microfestival in Swansea with National Theatre Wales, 23rd & 24th April 2009

Forest Fringe began in Edinburgh as a space where artists could experiment and play in the midst of the festival. In only three years we’ve created one of the most exciting spaces at the festival, filled with new artistic experiments and unusual encounters, everything from intimate, hidden audio experiences to epic rambling folk operas. Just as importantly Forest Fringe has become a bustling community of artists and audiences, sharing new ideas and exploring the limits of what live performance can be.

Now we want to take our first steps out of Edinburgh and try and recreate some of that freewheeling energy and risk in other cities by curating a series of special Microfestivals in Bristol, London, Glasgow and Swansea.

Working with National Theatre Wales’ Assembly programme, this Microfestival will be a chance to bring together artists from all over Wales with some of the incredible Forest Fringe artists from elsewhere in the country. This miniature weekend-long event will involve a whole range of daring and unconventional performances and events - installations, works-in-progress, new experiments, audio shows, one-on-one encounters. We want to create a space in which almost anything can happen.

We’re keen to meet any Welsh and Wales based artists who are interested in possibly being involved. The festival will mix totally new ideas with works-in-progress and finished pieces so it doesn’t matter what stage you’re at, we’re interested in speaking to you. And hopefully out of these Microfestivals we’ll also find new artists and projects to be involved in our award-winning Edinburgh Festival programme.

If you’re interested or having any questions at all feel free to ask and we’ll try and answer them. You can get in touch at andy[at]forestfringe.co.uk or via our website or just leave a comment here.

Views: 233

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of National Theatre Wales Community to add comments!

Join National Theatre Wales Community

Comment by Andy Field on January 28, 2010 at 3:32
Hi Jorge,

At this stage we don't know where the event will be held as we're still exploring spaces. It will however definitely revolve around a 'hub' space which will accommodate installations, little public interventions and video and audience experiences. Off this there will be smaller spaces for more intimate events (one on one encounters etc.) and the possibility of events that move out into the city itself.

The programme will run on Friday 23 and Saturday 24 April in the evening.

You can find out more about the kind of work we support and the artists we've worked with by going to our website - www.forestfringe.co.uk.

We don't have an explicit deadline at this stage but would like to hear from people interested before the end of February.

Thanks very much.

Andy
Comment by Jorge Lizalde on January 28, 2010 at 1:16
Hi Andy,

Really interested.

Could you please tell us or me a bit more information about it. And what will be the deadline? is there any link?

Thanks

Jorge
Comment by john norton on January 21, 2010 at 10:50
hi Andy - i believe we encountered each other last evening in a shoe shop - i'm interested in this project - currently quite heavily immersed in Heart of Darkness but please put me on the curious list . cheers . DaveJohn
Comment by Andy Field on January 18, 2010 at 4:05
Hi Megan,

Thanks for your interest.

I'm just collecting information from interested folk at the moment and trying to figure out exactly how the whole thing is going to work - something we won't know for sure until we've settled on the space we're going to be using in Swansea. I'm imagining we'll want to get back to everyone (regardless of whether they will be able to take part in this event or not) by the end of February.

At this stage we'd just love to hear any ideas people have and to get a few conversations started. What we actually end up doing will be determined by trying to get a balance of things for the space we have that complement each other as well as possible.

Hope that's all useful. Look forward to hearing from you.

All the best,

Andy
Comment by megan broadmeadow on January 18, 2010 at 3:54
Hi Sounds great- can you tell me when then deadline is- and what information you need ?
Cheers:-)
Comment by Laura Howe on January 15, 2010 at 6:51
would anyone be interested in getting together to do something for this? It sounds like fun...
Comment by Leona Jones on January 8, 2010 at 7:23
Yep, I agree! I'll send some bits and bobs. All the best with it.
Comment by Colleen Lynch on January 7, 2010 at 12:21
Hi! I live in Swansea and would absolutely love to be involved. it sounds AMAZING!! I will e-mail you my details!! :)

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service