Lifted by Beauty: Adventures in Dreaming in Rhyl

I’m Shayne, and I’m joining the team on Lifted by Beauty: Adventures in Dreaming as promoter. The show is taking place in my home town of Rhyl, so I wanted to introduce myself, what I’ve done in Rhyl, and share what it is I love about Rhyl.

A little more about me:

I am the former manager of a Rhyl based community charity called STARS, where our remit was community safety. STARS won many awards for their work within the local community which at times also gained coverage not only in the local press but at times on the Welsh news channels.

I’ m local to the area living in both St Asaph and Rhuddlan but have lived in Rhyl for the last 20 years. I must say I love living in ‘Sunny Rhyl’ as although the town like many other seaside resorts within the UK has been through some bad times, I really feel the town is now moving forward with a lot of exciting new plans and projects.

New plans include a new High School, Harbour refurbishment including Café and Bike Hub, the new Pont y Ddraig pedestrian bridge (which looks brilliant lit up at night) and at present building works are on -going for the new Marina Quay retail park, a 70 room Premier Inn hotel and restaurant, plus the new Waterfront Development which will include a new Aquatic Centre and external refurbishment of the Pavilion Theatre.

I also love Rhyl’s past history. It’s always had great pubs and nightlife, with many great nightclubs and in my view, it is a pity the funfair is no longer here. I even remember seeing the old mono rail (made famous by the late great Terry Wogan), and remember the days when the Radio 1 roadshow came into town.

Rhyl also has a great sporting history which includes ‘The Lilywhites’ Rhyl FC, who play in the Welsh Premier League which was found in 1879, and Rhyl Rugby club have great plans for a new ‘field of dreams’ development which will include a new clubhouse.

Rhyl has had many Welsh boxing champions throughout the years and boxing is still thriving with excellent well supported shows at the local Town Hall.

Not many towns within the UK, have a FREE airshow which always tends to include the famous Red Arrows and I will never forget attending the Outdoor Events arena to watch Madness and UB40. These events brings many thousands of people into our Town.

These are only a few notes on why I Love Sunny Rhyl as it has so much more to mention including its very own Marine Lake and Miniature Railway, the brilliant local Point FM radio station, a local Rhyl college and the really busy RNLI lifeboat crew.

I’m going to be working with National Theatre Wales for the next couple of weeks, making sure everyone knows about the show and comes along. If you’d like to know more, please get in touch with me by commenting on this blog, or send me an email shaynejones@outlook.com

Cheers

Shayne

Views: 271

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of National Theatre Wales Community to add comments!

Join National Theatre Wales Community

Comment by Shayne Jones on March 5, 2017 at 9:37
Thanks a lot Guy it's nice to see a lot of new things going on in Sunny Rhyl!!
Comment by Guy O'Donnell on March 5, 2017 at 7:36

Thanks for sharing Shayne, love your perspective on Rhyl!

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service