Event Details

Llais/Voice

Time: August 1, 2014 at 7:30pm to August 2, 2014 at 8:30pm
Street: Senghennydd Road
City/Town: Cardiff
Website or Map: http://www.shermancymru.co.uk…
Phone: 02920 646 900
Event Type: performance
Organized By: Elgan Rhys
Latest Activity: Jul 22, 2014

Export to Outlook or iCal (.ics)

Event Description

A play which was inspired by the famous YouTube video posted by a victim of bullying opening in Cardiff before its Edinburgh Fringe debut this August. Elgan Rhys and his company Cynyrchiadau Pluen/Flake Productions will be premiering the bi-lingual production Llais/Voice at the Sherman Theatre, Cardiff on 1 & 2 August.

Llais/Voice is an original devised theatrical piece produced in response to the Amanda Todd video, which was posted on YouTube in 2012. In the video, through flash cards, she explained her experiences of being bullied.  Not long after Amanda Todd took her own life. It's a project that explores Elgan’s own personal experiences of being bullied, in relation to this inspiring but devastating video.

Elgan, who created and is performing in the show said;

“After watching and hearing about Amanda Todd I felt compelled to create and develop a piece of theatre. I believe Llais/Voice has the potential to engage with many people, with it being a subject matter that is high on the social agenda today.

“Being a native Welsh speaker, I wanted to produce and promote it through the Welsh language - this kind of show will offer a unique theatrical experience to audiences in Wales. I want to add to the devised theatre scene in Wales too, as I feel that we don’t often see this subject discussed in Welsh language theatre. With Sherman Cymru being one of Wales’ leading theatre companies, their support has been invaluable and it’s a privilege to premiere the show at their venue.

“Whilst the project is called Llais/Voice, it is entirely unspoken. The piece uses physical movements of the body as a conduit for the diverse emotions experienced whilst being bullied; it will engage the audience on a more visceral level. The physicality and aesthetic quality of it will juxtapose with the ugly theme of bullying.

I hope this production will get people talking about their experiences of bullying, giving them the 'voice' that is so absent in the performance.”

Amanda Todd's mum is currently in touch with the company, and offering her support. Cardiff based anti-bullying charity Bullies Out is also supporting the production.  

Elgan Rhys and his company Cynyrchiadau Pluen/Flake Productions will premiere Llais/Voice at Sherman Theatre, Cardiff on 1 & 2 August. Tickets £5 (Suitable for ages 10+).

For tickets and further information, please contact Sherman Theatre on 029 2064 6900 or visit www.shermancymru.co.uk

Comment Wall

Add a Comment

RSVP for Llais/Voice to add comments!

Join National Theatre Wales Community

Comment by Elgan Rhys on June 18, 2014 at 1:31

Thank you Sarah! Yes - can't wait for Edinburgh! Hope everything is going well for you. X

Comment by Sarah Jane Leigh on June 18, 2014 at 0:57

Hi Elgan, Unfortunately I will already be up in Edinburgh. Best of luck! i'll see the show when you get there! S x

Attending (10)

Might attend (1)

Not Attending (1)

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service