• Zoe Munn
  • Kat Jones
  • Isaac Blake
  • Lisa Wells-Turner

James Doyle-Roberts's Groups

James Doyle-Roberts's Page

Profile Information

What I do:
My nature is as a collaborator in the crossover between circus, theatre and dance, as a director/devisor, technical and movement advisor and (sometimes) performer.When I pack my bag in the morning, it usually contains Lycra, harnesses and spanners.In 2009, I founded Citrus Arts in partnership with Bridie Doyle-Roberts.
A little more about me:
James’ first success in the arts was when he shared the title of Under 16’s Welsh Breakdance Champion with his brother in 1984. After training as a TV & Radio Producer in Salford and at BBC North, he returned to his passion for live performance when he began a long (and current), professional association with Walk The Plank; he was soon chosen from 3,000 applicants to be an Aerial Circus Trainee in preparation for the Millennium Dome central arena show created by Peter Gabriel and Mark Fisher for the year 2000 celebrations.
After 3 years of training and performing for the Millennium Dome project he became a founder member of The Generating Company, and developed new ways to combine contemporary circus with physical theatre when he was taken under the wings of two Complicité founder members Kathryn Hunter & Marcello Magni to work with them in creating a new character ‘The Duck’ for a modern adaptation of Aristophanes’ “The Birds” at the National Theatre. James’ contribution as the humble and quirky Duck is included in the current print version of this Classical Greek Comedy.
“James Roberts’ beautifully observed waddling Duck was the pick of the bunch” – Daily Mail review of ‘The Birds’
“That Duck was one of the best things I have ever seen on stage” – Sam Mendes, in conversation about ‘The Birds’
Since returning to his south Welsh roots to work with NoFitState Circus as part of their devising team, he co-founded Citrus Arts in 2009 with his wife Bridie Doyle-Roberts, on a mission to create “thoughtful and progressive works which sit between Circus, Theatre & Dance”. Citrus Arts are recognised as a significant creative force in Wales by producers, theatres, local authorities and by Arts Council Wales who regularly support them.
James’ endeavours and development as a freelance Director, Producer and Theatrical Movement Director have led to employment as a Visiting Director at the National Centre for Circus Arts and at London Roundhouse’s Circus Fest, as Artistic Director of London Youth Circus and as Associate Director of Newport’s Big Splash festival. James is currently part of National Theatre Wales’ Emerging Directors group.
Projects I’m working on:
Co-production with The Roses Theatre in Tewkesbury: "Stags" (working title)
Two collaborations with Walk The Plank: WMC 10th Anniversary Celebrations and "Shipwrecks" (working title), planned as a series of participatory events around the coastline of Wales.
Co-Artistic Director of Citrus Arts in Pontypridd
Personal Website/CV:
http://www.citrusarts.co.uk
Twitter @username:
@JamesCitrusArts

James Doyle-Roberts's Blog

URGENT CASTING CALL - MALE DANCER

Citrus Arts are looking for a Male Contemporary Dancer to play a Character role within a period dance, circus and theatre piece. Strong Contemporary technique and a good foundation in Ballet and/or Acrobatics would be desirable. 

This project will involve working within a cast of 5, with 2 live musicians, to complete, premiere and tour a work that has been in development for some time. 

The project dates are:
Rehearsal and Premiere…
Continue

Posted on August 13, 2016 at 11:24

It’s everyone’s history, it’s our show – now it’s your big opportunity to be part of it.

Join a cast of hundreds to help us be part on Wales Millennium Centre’s 10th anniversary programme, and our amazing wealth of art, legend and cultural heritage.  

After 10 years in our incredible building we’re celebrating this important milestone with an outdoor spectacular that brings together the fantastic creativity and talent of Wales in the biggest outdoor production of the year.

With mass choreography, lantern processions, a new choral production, acrobatic dance and…

Continue

Posted on July 28, 2015 at 12:28

Learning through collaboration between Ballet Cymru and Citrus Arts on “Cinderella”

When Darius James and Amy Doughty of Ballet Cymru approached co-artistic director Bridie Doyle & I with a proposal to work together on their current touring production of the Grimms’ original “Cinderella” tale, we were all on the same page within the first few minutes – there were to be no bolt-on circus acts added to the ‘big numbers’ just to fill a space above…

Continue

Posted on June 5, 2015 at 12:28

Call for expressions of interest from Composers/ Soundscape Artists

Call for expressions of interest from Composers/Soundscape Artists

Citrus & Walk The Plank are recruiting Welsh, or Wales associated Composers/Soundscape Artists to join them for a period of research and development to explore historical stories and myths of Wreckers, Smugglers and Shipwrecks around the coastal towns of Wales.

The eventual aim is to create a series of 75-minute promenade performances including art installations, bonfires and fire sculptures, processions,…

Continue

Posted on November 20, 2013 at 11:27 — 2 Comments

Seeking expressions of interest from Writers/ Poets/ Wordsmiths

Citrus & Walk The Plank are recruiting Welsh, or Wales associated Writers/Poets/Wordsmiths to join them for a period of research and development to explore historical stories and myths of Wreckers, Smugglers and Shipwrecks around the coastal towns of Wales.

The eventual aim is to create a series of 75-minute promenade performances including art installations, bonfires and fire sculptures, processions, music, theatre, dance, and circus…

Continue

Posted on November 20, 2013 at 11:21 — 1 Comment

Comment Wall (11 comments)

You need to be a member of National Theatre Wales Community to add comments!

Join National Theatre Wales Community

At 22:33 on January 25, 2012, sean crowley said…

James

Interested in meeting you can you email me on sean.crowley@rwcmd.ac.uk

its the fastest way for me to communicate

Sean

At 4:31 on January 17, 2011, Kat Jones said…

Hi James, 

Thank you for replying to my blog post - I'm really interesting in getting involved and should be available from the 19th March. I tried to send an email to the address that you gave me but it says that it's been rejected by the domain?!? so i'll try sending it again but if it doesn't reach you, please let me know some more about the production and how i can get involved - it sounds great.

Thanks,

Kat

At 19:28 on July 31, 2010, Peter Cox MBE said…
Hi James and Bride (NTW friends)

Looks like we're going to be sharing a creative journey shortly. I'm going to be involved in the Pontardawe Parklife Show with No Fit State - wearing my writer's hat and working alongside Orit and the team. Really looking forward to it. See you there. Peter.
At 22:48 on March 25, 2010, Sarah Argent said…
Hi James. I was given you as a contact by Zoe Mills. I'm directing a show for a company in Darlington that involves pirates (rough, tough, girl pirates) and I was really impressed by the work in your incubabator project at WMC. I am particularly interested in the work you did where someone seems to fly only a couple of feet off the floor with a single hand in a strap. This is probably a ridiculous question, but is it possible to create any kind of free-standing structure that is strong and stable enough for someone to use to do this work, or do they have to be suspended from a lighting rig or similar? If you could let me know that would be fantastic, as it then means I can factor this into my thinking during our R and D days on the show next week. Best wishes, Sarah Argent
At 6:00 on January 25, 2010, Dawn Woolley said…
Hi James,
Thanks for your response to my wooden automota blog, I have just realised I responded to my own comment so it probably didn't get to you! - I am hoping to mechanically animate cut-out legs and arms (life size photographs mounted onto wood)so they move backwards and forwards. They will remain in one place on the stage but gyrate - I can't really describe what I mean but I imagine it will involve a motor and some cogs or pistons. Sorry to be very vague but I am not a technically minded person! Any suggestions would be greatfully received...
I hope you're having a great 2010!
thanks again
Dawn
At 20:25 on November 19, 2009, Peter Cox MBE said…
Hi James

Yeah, good to meet a friend face to face. Why did the session leave you feeling a bit sad?

The Hijinx Gulliver show is very good. Funny. Entertaining. Great performances. Lovely concept and writing. Strong and imaginative direction. Excellent design and lighting. A really good night out.
At 1:47 on November 13, 2009, Leanne Rahman said…
Hi James

Thanks for accepting me as a friend. I happened to land on your page when I was chatting to Borhan from Contact Theatre.

We are both envloved with the Butetown 'Soul Exchange' production - part of NTW's twelve productions in twelve months for their launch and after cheekily reading your 'Ex-Butetownie' reply (I'm also a Butetown girl)I was interested in the work that you are doing now and if you still have close links with Butetown.

We'll be entering the next phase shortly after running some initial theatre and poetry workshops last month.

If its OK with you, I'd like to drop you a line to let you know where and when we next deliver some activity in Butetown.

Bye for now!

Lea :)
At 5:09 on October 30, 2009, Nicolas Young said…
Thanks for offering to write my profile information, I look forward to seeing what you have to say!
At 0:55 on September 29, 2009, Peter Cox MBE said…
Great James, I'll check out the site.
At 9:38 on September 7, 2009, john norton said…
thnks fella - how's your lot?

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service