After reading the Lyn Gardner blog Parents in the arts need to stage a childcare revolution last week I’ve been thinking about it…..a lot. Not solely as a direct result of reading this piece but my own circumstances mean that this is a topic is something that affects my life on a daily basis. Although I completely agree with Lyn that the majority of arts companies aren’t at the forefront of childcare provision in the workplace, we have to somehow create a system that is sympathetic to both the industry that we work in and the people that work in it. Absolutely, this situation is not helped by the hours that are required to do the job and the pay that some smaller companies deem as acceptable (I still don’t understand how minimum rates of pay as guided by industry bodies aren’t paid from projects that are publicly funded, but that’s another conversation).

Since we’ve had our daughter I’ve been fortunate to work with companies that do take into consideration that I have a young child but my Partner and I made an informed decision that we were in a position as freelancers to share the work/ home balance. Our daughter has the advantage of having one of us at home, and her Dad has been able to spend time with her that I know most fathers could only dream of. So it’s not all doom & gloom and we still have careers that we enjoy. It does take the diary organisation to another level, but I’m a Stage Manager so I do slightly relish organising everyone, including grandparents & nursery. 

But there’s still more to be done. So what do we do? I am coming to the conclusion that we’re predominately self-employed so most problems are there to solve ourselves. Maybe a childcare group? So if you have a production that you’re desperate to see but can’t find a babysitter, a meeting’s been arranged last minute that can’t be missed or an evening tech rehearsal that’s unavoidable then surely amongst us (seeing as we generally know everyone anyway!) we can help each other out. I’m not sure of the specifics, whether it would work in credits or we buddy up with people we already know but I’m willing to explore it further. Answers on a postcard please……

Views: 105

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of National Theatre Wales Community to add comments!

Join National Theatre Wales Community

Comment by Laura H Drane on March 18, 2015 at 6:56

Love this thinking and would happily explore more! 

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service