Love Steals Us... Review - Did I miss something?

Views: 100

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of National Theatre Wales Community to add comments!

Join National Theatre Wales Community

Comment by carmen medway-stephens on October 18, 2010 at 0:37
Interesting review considering everyone else has made positive comments. Although many have said the ending was a little long. However, I did think the playwright truely captured the loss and grief of the 'ones left behind'. His use of language to convey this was apt considering he is talking about a 'mother's' grief. Everyone who was with me agreed too. To be a mother and lose a child is something very personal. My Grandmother lost her son in the 1970's through a drunk driver, a car he shouldn't have been in, a journey he should never have gone on and for me this play spoke about an Uncle I never knew and the eternal grief that nearly ripped the family apart so for that I think Gary's writing was spot on. The use of slang and swearing was there to perhaps to engage a younger audeince as a young person said to me recently 'go see a play!! I'd rather put a needle through my eye'. About a 100 youngsters from the local college loved being able to relate to the characters rather seeing something stuffy that would turn them off theatre for life. So for that purpose I think the play set out what it wanted to achieve. Unfortunately Saturday night saw the story come true where a fatal car accident happened in the local area rumoured to be drink driving. You wonder 'if only the youngsters saw this play...'

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service