Last year I had a one minute play performed in a festival in Noo Yawk, so here's a (borrowed) idea: a writers' self-indulgence, sorry - festival, of very short works where the only thing in common from one piece to the next is a limited number of key stroke characters [stage directions and musical annotations included]. The compendium of works would be an extraordinary clash of ideas... A play with 200 characters, anybody?

Views: 688

Replies to This Discussion

I had some similar problems. The first time I posted it took out four full stops! A tad frustrating. Enjoyed your alpha male line particularly.
love it:) wow just found this page, thats a cool idea... will try and give it a go. i'm an actor really but i like to write, I'll give it a go... zoxx
Ah, a play based on my time as someone in a relationship

I counted it 199 -

CAFE

ED & SAM at a table

S From now on I don't want you to call me, Ed

E I don't want to call you Ed either

Sam bites her tongue

S Oh, this is awful

E I'm glad I ordered fish

Ed clicks his fingers for the waiter

The waiter picks up the tune & clicks along

-
more wonderment; this could become something really small. TVx
A comment on something, probably

Another 199 (must try harder)

AUDITION

The director spots a problem

DIR You cannot be a child actor with 20 years experience

ACTOR Who says?

D Time

A Pah

D Pah nothing - I won't hire you. You're too old

A You're too smelly

D Don't be so...

Both ...childish

A See?

D You're hired

-
Two nice pieces Brad. Both made me smile.
Reading this first thing on a Monday has got the week off to a great start. Is this the groundswell? TVx
Guess so!
All the pieces posted thus far are essentially lighthearted although I suspect some darker subtexts lurk. So, just to explore the possibilities further, I am uploading an entirely serious piece. It's a variation of something else I have been working on.
WAR DEAD
Attachments:
Hope this fits the bill, Terry.

PTSD

J:
He blew himself up. In front of me. Looking me in the eyes. It went... everywhere.

Mum:
That’s nice, dear. Tea?

J:
You accept them trying to kill you. But... killing themselves -

Mum:
Camomile. It’s calming.

J:
Yes. Camomile. Thanks.
This is turning into a magnificent day. 200 characters really do focus the mind. Nice work, Othniel.

RSS

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service