The English Language National Theatre in Wales: What is the role of language in the work of NTW?

Some members of the National Theatre Wales community have raised the question: why is there no Welsh language in the National Theatre Wales newspaper?

National Theatre Wales is officially the English language National Theatre in Wales. As most of you will know, there is already a Welsh language National Theatre of Wales: Theatr Genedlaethol Cymru.

There is nothing like the issue of language to divide a nation however and this is particularly true in Wales.

What is our role as the English language national theatre in Wales, a bilingual country?

What about the representation of ALL the languages of our communities in Wales whose first language is not English?

All thoughts wanted please!

Views: 135

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Did anyone raise this question when the Welsh National Theatre was set up? Was their literature also available in English?

I support the Welsh language (politically & financially) even though I don't speak it, but I'm tired of being made to feel 'less Welsh'.

I'd like to see us as a multi-lingual society, and also a cross-over between the two national theatres, but the fact is that the majority (76%) speak English and there is already a Welsh language theatre. The majority never begrudged it, so let us have a theatre that everybody, including immigrants & visitors to Wales, can understand. Fair enough?

RSS

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service