Here is the discussion after we went to see '1984' by Headlong & Nottingham Playhouse Theatre Company at Sherman Cymru on the 5th of November 2013. 

Views: 209

Replies to This Discussion

There were lots of very clever bits to this production, and I felt that the political and social ideas of the book were explored very thoroughly. It felt very similar to seeing a Brechtian piece, in that I felt that I being asked to think rather than to feel. I can certainly see why a company would want to do this having read the novel, and the devises they used in order to make very clear statements and parallels certainly got their point across, but for me I felt that we lost the empathy with the characters. On reflection, I can understand that for some it may be more important to discuss the ideas the novel presents (and if so I think that this is an excellent adaptation for you) but for me I missed having a character driven performance.

As I said last night, the parts which affected me most and have caused me to think most since were the scene in which Mandi Symonds played firstly Mrs Parsons and then Winston's mother. The acting here was excellent and it was the empathy that I felt towards the characters because of this that have caused me to continue to think about the issues and social ramifications of those two short scenes.

Can't remember when I last read "1984", but I am keen to read it again now! I'm sure that stage adaptations of novels, particularly ones which deal with layers of meaning and create worlds which we have little or no direct experience of, present some daunting challenges. Overall, having now had a little time to reflect, I was impressed by the production. Visually and aurally the piece impacted on me in a disturbing and uncomfortable way, with sudden loud noises and synchronised flashing lights, electronic sound and other effects throughout. An interesting contrast, then, with the solid and realistic room setting established at the beginning. The mixed- or multi-media elements worked, particularly in the close-ups of Winston's diary, the offstage scenes in the "not-so-secret love-nest" and the later multi-image sequences. The intimidation, vulnerability, treachery, betrayal, intrigue and destruction resulting from the abuse of power was palpable and the audience can identify with many current comparable situations in relative safety!

The breakdown of the whole set echoed the breakdown of Winston's resolve, his world/s, his principles and values, with the transformation to Room 101 forcing us to consider facing up to our own worst nightmare scenarios as well as man's inhumanity to man. This was effectively staged, though the helmets, masks and protective uniforms bordered on Sci-fi or 007 territory. The rat cage was engineered to move, which I felt served only to diminish rather than enhance the horror of the moment.

In terms of lasting impressions, it is the technical aspects of the production which dominate for me. The performances were perhaps dwarfed a little by this, despite being of a high quality in general. I will remember Mark Arends' performance as Winston, Tim Dutton's portrayal of O'Brien and Mandi Symonds as Mrs Parsons in particular.

The production impacted on the full house, challenging the audience by creating discomfort and provoking much thought. To that extent, the piece succeeded as a piece of theatre. I enjoyed my first experience of Critical Chinwag and welcomed the chance to sit down afterwards, listen to opinions, chat with others and share my initial response to an interesting evening of live theatre.

So, I've had more time to think about the show now...and to be honest my opinions hasn't changed much since Tuesday night. 

It just wasn't my cup of tea.

Like Emma, I would have preferred to see the characters of the show. The aesthetic, ideas, politics etc are already given to you from Orwell, and we can always anticipate all of this when seeing a stage adaption.

But, the characters, on the other hand are less obvious and more delicate in the novel so surely this gives more opportunity to explore on stage? How would YOU feel if you were in Winstons shoes? Or Julia? These guys want to break free from the world they are in, yet I found it very hard to believe that and I struggles to have interest in the main characters. I felt the characters came second to everything else...and so I lost interest. There was no journey for any of the characters really, not until Winston got to Room 101.

I've got to say I do think they nailed Room 101- they went for a bold look and ran with it through the performance and didn't hold back. In fact I would even go to say that I loved Room 101. Simple, effective, bold and beautiful.

We can't deny that the aesthetic and the transformation of the stage was incredible and on a huge scale! The scale of theatre we don't see much of anymore because...hey, who has the money to do so these days?? Let's just go for black box again... But they didn't do this. And I think it was great for something like this to come to Cardiff because we don't often see theatre on this scale here. And it was great to see the Sherman with close to a full house!

I havn't seen many adaptions of novels to stage...or at least not that I'm aware of?? But, with something like 1984, I can't help but wonder if it would ever work as a stage adaption? There is always this desire to show the world, politics, ideas of the book...but we forget that in the midst of it we are following a person and his emotions. You could even say it is a slightly distorted love story. A story about people dealing in a world where emotions and freedom to be a human is illegal. But I have not seen it portrayed like this yet. I think as soon as I see an adaptions like this I might start enjoying it!

Saying all this, I still think it was a good production and some people will LOVE this!

But for me, as I said- just ain't my cup of tea! 

RSS

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service