The Radicalisation of Bradley Manning

Information

The Radicalisation of Bradley Manning

One of the most important political stories of our time - Bradley Manning, the US soldier accused of leaking thousands of military cables to Wikileaks - brought to life in this award-winning production by the UK's most exciting new national company.

'A viscerally exciting piece of theatre' (Guardian).

**** (Daily TelegraphIndependent on Sunday, TheArtsDesk.com, Western Mail).

The Radicalisation of Bradley Manning was first staged across Wales in April 2012 and will be remounted at the 2013 Edinburgh Festival Fringe. 

See the show at: 

Pleasance at St Thomas of Aquin's High School,

Chalmers St, Edinburgh EH3 9ES

6th - 25th August 2013

Members: 98
Latest Activity: Aug 3, 2018

This group is here for people interested in, involved in and affected by the play The Radicalisation of Bradley Manning. Join in and contribute as we develop the play further and re-stage our artistic response to his story, and his relationship with Wales. 

You can read a blog post by TIm Price on why he wanted to tell this story here.

Click here to see our Storify Story of tweets and other content around the first staging of The Radicalisation of Bradley Manning.

We're updating a Storify Story around the 2013 remounting, and you can see that here.   

----------

This play is a fictional account which has been inspired by a true story. The incidents, characters and time lines have been changed for dramatic purposes. In some cases fictitious characters and incidents have been added to the plot, and the words are those imagined by the author. The play should not be understood as a biography or any other factual account. 

Discussion Forum

This group does not have any discussions yet.

#NTWBradley Twitter feed

Comment Wall

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of The Radicalisation of Bradley Manning to add comments!

Comment by Lindi Carter on March 17, 2012 at 13:34

Following on from the video Richard posted, a report of a training incident:

'During my first week in basic training, I watched a man nearly die of pneumonia and heat stroke in the Missouri sun at Fort Leonard Wood. The drill sergeants ridiculed him as a "faker" when he collapsed following a strenuous forced march. He fell face first on the pavement and lay there, twitching. The drill sergeants screamed and spat in my face when I helped drag him into the shade. I remember pouring water on the man and loading him into the back of a truck.

After a leisurely drive by a drill sergeant to the base hospital, I carried the man inside on my back. "It's really bad this time," said the doctor. 

Later I asked the drill sergeant how I could trust her with my life when she almost let him die. "Private," she told me, "if you died tonight, we’d go right on without you in the morning."

The Army taught us well that human lives were of little consequence, that humanity itself was a concept of the weak and the broken.'

Sorry, no link - from Sojourners magazine -by Evan Knappenberger, a former Army Intelligence Analyst who went through the same training, same places as Bradley, shortly before him, and is an Iraq veteran.

Comment by Richard Lakos on March 16, 2012 at 6:56
Some light Friday research for you all. A video depicting a relatively rare insight into the drill sgt's and training in the United States Marine Core and the United States Army. While not necessarily the exact experience every recruit has entering the forces you can imagine what it must be like. Not the best production values of the video, i think it gets its message across. Enjoy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qthj9pUnWAU&feature=youtube_gdat...
Comment by Richard Lakos on March 16, 2012 at 6:40
Not too sure if anyones posted this before but this is part one of a documentary on Bradley manning including interviews with several key characters. Very interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKvp_bhuSi4&feature=youtube_gdat...
Comment by Lindi Carter on March 15, 2012 at 12:14

That's what techies are for!

Another bit of info which I'm sure we'll all be really really glad to hear comes from Kevin Zeese (a defense attorney who works with BMSN) who was also in the court room today:

First, Bradley looks very healthy physically and psychologically.  It was good to see.  He also seems to communicate well with his lawyer, David Coombs.  They seem to have a comfortable relationship.  At least a dozen times he and David were whispering and Bradley was smiled and softly laughed a handful of times in court.
Comment by Tom Beardshaw on March 15, 2012 at 12:02

Here's that video Lindi mentioned:

Comment by Lindi Carter on March 15, 2012 at 11:47

interview with David House after court hearing today

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdTXLxhkx2c

Comment by Gwawr Loader on March 15, 2012 at 10:48

Information about the connection between Pi and Anglesey:

http://blogs.caernarfonherald.co.uk/hywelroberts/2012/01/no-73-the-...

Comment by Gwawr Loader on March 15, 2012 at 10:44
Comment by Lindi Carter on March 15, 2012 at 10:26

Bradley's lawyer, David Coombs, files motion to DISMISS ALL CHARGES, based on govt failing to produce evidence and permit witnesses:

'The defense decided the way the government was using Brady, which is a rule that mandates the disclosure of evidence, violated Manning’s right to a fair trial.'

It is possible that Bradley may have to testify briefly, as the govt are denying the existence of a video, taken in Quantico, that Bradley says does exist.

Coombs says his client knows there is video that exists because he was being videotaped in Quantico Marine brig. The government says the video does not exist. Judge wants the defense to prove it exists. So, for limited purpose, Manning could take the stand.

And it is confirmed that the govt is accusing Brad of aiding Al Qaeda through WikiLeaks:

Finally, a bill of particulars motion yielded further confirmation in court today that the “enemy” is al Qaeda, al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) and other affiliated terror groups. The way he indirectly provided intelligence to the “enemy” was by providing information to WikiLeaks. These were the answers the government provided to the defense.

This makes knowing the contents of damage assessment reports even more critical to the defense. Manning is accused of aiding terrorists. And that is severe charge that most people would agree every soldier should have an unimpeded ability to challenge.

http://dissenter.firedoglake.com/2012/03/15/defense-files-motion-to...

http://dissenter.firedoglake.com/2012/03/15/live-blog-bradley-manni... 

Comment by HASSAN PANERO on March 15, 2012 at 10:02
Welsh hero as we stand hand stand to the man in chance
Justice is from above, love to all NTW PROJECT

Members (95)

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service