NTW04: For Mountain, Sand & Sea

Information

NTW04: For Mountain, Sand & Sea

This is the group for For Mountain, Sand & Sea: official tag: NTW04
View all blog posts about For Mountain, Sand & Sea

Members: 102
Latest Activity: Nov 27, 2011

Discussion Forum

This group does not have any discussions yet.

Live results for ntw04 around the web

Loading… Loading feed

Comment Wall

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of NTW04: For Mountain, Sand & Sea to add comments!

Comment by Hugh Griffith Roberts on March 27, 2010 at 14:01
Allison Williams - what a wonderful unassuming asset she is as a local inhabitant of the town. Her kindness to you,our guests, from National Theatre and the B.B.C. last week allied to my "Hugh's Views" is worthy of note .

Comment by Marc Rees on March 25, 2010 at 21:21
Diolch yn fawr, thank you for your kind words Hugh.
It was a terrific day, really inspiring, especially hearing the comments and laughter during the Carnival Archive super 8 footage (which many had never seen before). So glad that I managed to retrieve it from the Dolgellau Archive as it certainly triggered lots of vivid and colorful recollections.
Onwards and Upwards Hugh!
Comment by Hugh Griffith Roberts on March 25, 2010 at 14:23
I just want to thank you Marc , Holly and Sian for your kindness to my community at the presentation today.I am thinking beyond your project ,but to the future of our hard fought NATIONAL THEATRE WALES. What great ambassadors you are.Long live the "Theatre" in the isolated and culturally multi - linguistic ,remote,and ordinary areas of Wales. Well done all at Directorship in commissioning work far from remote Cardiff!!! .Please remember " Theatr y Ddraig " in Barmouth when this project will be percieved as being in the past.
Comment by Marc Rees on March 25, 2010 at 8:37
'Hughe's Views'/'Story Shop' merger

Tom Hughes

Gwynfor Owen and Holly Davey

Comment by Siân Thomas on March 24, 2010 at 12:31
serendipity? :)
Comment by Hugh Griffith Roberts on March 24, 2010 at 11:16
Thank you Marc for re-fostering an old friendship.When Eurof Williams arrived at our home this morning for a B.B.C. interview regarding your project and my involvement , we instantly recognised ourselves after 35 years. We frequented the " Globe " in Upper Bangor when Eurof was a studio manager and I ,an aspirant possability of being a newscaster on S4C. Thanks Marc for re- kindling our friendship of those days.

Comment by Allison Williams on March 24, 2010 at 6:45
Hello Francis,

We must be related! My great, great grandmother features in the picture of the Powell and Sons shop. My grandmother is Eira Goodchild (still alive, nearly 99) and her father was one of the Powell sons who died when Eira was a child, in the Spanish Flu pandemic of 1918.
Allison
Comment by Marc Rees on March 23, 2010 at 4:44
Amended text (surname is Goodchild not Goodfellow)

Grandfather's Birthplace 1908

My grandfather Edward 'Ted' Powell was born in Barmouth in 1908 and lived in Tai Croesion, Llanaber. His mother was Sarah and father Evan Ellis, and he had a sister Bessie. His grandparents owned the grocery store in the village Powell & Sons. When he was a toddler he ran out into the road and was hit by a passing car, these days to see a car was very rare let alone to be hit by one! My grandfather was seriously injured and needed surgery immediately, coincidently the passenger in the car was a top neuro-surgeon from London. He was operated on and thankfully made a full recovery to later go on to tell the tale. When he was 8 years old the cottage was sold to the Hooper family from Llanaber.
I have very fond memories of Barmouth and have been fortunate to hear many tales from my grandfather. In 2005 we visited the town but now he was in a wheelchair, we still wrapped him up and walked the length of the railway bridge across the estuary, he was now the grand old age of 97 years. Unfortunately he passed away in 2006. I miss our trips and tales so much. His cousins still live in Barmouth, the surname being Goodchild.

Francis Frith
Comment by Marc Rees on March 22, 2010 at 8:10
Grandfather's Birthplace 1908

My grandfather Edward 'Ted' Powell was born in Barmouth in 1908 and lived in Tai Croesion, Llanaber. His mother was Sarah and father Evan Ellis, and he had a sister Bessie. His grandparents owned the grocery store in the village Powell & Sons. When he was a toddler he ran out into the road and was hit by a passing car, these days to see a car was very rare let alone to be hit by one! My grandfather was seriously injured and needed surgery immediately, coincidently the passenger in the car was a top neuro-surgeon from London. He was operated on and thankfully made a full recovery to later go on to tell the tale. When he was 8 years old the cottage was sold to the Hooper family from Llanaber.
I have very fond memories of Barmouth and have been fortunate to hear many tales from my grandfather. In 2005 we visited the town but now he was in a wheelchair, we still wrapped him up and walked the length of the railway bridge across the estuary, he was now the grand old age of 97 years. Unfortunately he passed away in 2006. I miss our trips and tales so much. His cousins still live in Barmouth, the surname being Goodfellow.

Francis Frith
Comment by John Emlyn Pugh on March 21, 2010 at 16:49
Sian,

I'll get in touch with as many family members as I can in Barmouth and certainly encourage them to visit you at the story shop.

Best, John

Members (98)

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service