NTW04: For Mountain, Sand & Sea

Information

NTW04: For Mountain, Sand & Sea

This is the group for For Mountain, Sand & Sea: official tag: NTW04
View all blog posts about For Mountain, Sand & Sea

Members: 102
Latest Activity: Nov 27, 2011

Discussion Forum

This group does not have any discussions yet.

Live results for ntw04 around the web

Loading… Loading feed

Comment Wall

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of NTW04: For Mountain, Sand & Sea to add comments!

Comment by Hugh Griffith Roberts on November 25, 2009 at 5:54
THE BARMOUTH ADVERTISER AND DISTRICT WEEKLY NEWS " .This weekly newspaper was first established by John Hughes ," Glanaig ", in 1877. My grandfather , Morris Griffith Roberts , purchased the paper in 1906 . From 1928 until 1960 the paper was published in partnership with my father Hugh Griffith Roberts. My father continued to publish the newspaper until 1972. I now hold the title deeds and copyright.

As there were no illustrations of note in the "ADVERTISER" I had inspiration to record the pictorial history of our town - this work has involved the community collecting photographs and forwarding to myself for editing and compilation.Marc,your initiative in adding live art,theatre and dance together is an excellent concept and I'm very honoured to be working with you in this wonderful project. .
Comment by Marc Rees on November 25, 2009 at 3:26

Curlew shooting 1885
(latest adition to Hugh G Roberts glorious community archive)
Comment by Marc Rees on November 25, 2009 at 0:59
John Crawford cites:

"The ebbing tide recedes from the shining mudflats and already the first of the waders are repossessing their feeding quarters. Clouds of knot join the redshank, the grey plover and the bar-tailed godwit. A haunting, bubbling whistling heralds the approach of a herd of curlew . They sweep in on set wings, pitch, shake out their plumage and begin, immediately, to probe the mud with those long, curved bills by which they are so readily identified. Who, upon hearing the call of the curlew, can fail to be moved? For older fowlers the sound will bring memories of exciting flights flooding back - like the very tide itself."
Comment by Marc Rees on November 24, 2009 at 23:40
oops, Ivor Davies is Ivor Evans, sorry folks.
Comment by Hugh Griffith Roberts on November 24, 2009 at 1:40
A native of Barmouth , an excellent footballer and golfer.Retired Area engineer for Merseyside and North Wales Electricity Board.His son David is a high ranking Fire Officer in the North Wales Fire and Rescue Service.
Comment by Marc Rees on November 24, 2009 at 0:07

Ivor Davies 1950
(courtesy of Hugh G Roberts community pictorial archive)
Any more details on Ivor, Hugh?
Comment by Hugh Griffith Roberts on November 23, 2009 at 23:04

Comment by Marc Rees on November 22, 2009 at 2:17

Bermo/Barmouth circa 1800's
(courtesy of Hugh G Roberts community pictorial archive)
Comment by Marc Rees on November 22, 2009 at 1:48
An extract from a description of Barmouth by Samuel Lewis 1849 (thanks Hugh)
'The view from the beach is strikingly magnificent; the hills on the opposite shores of Carnarvonshire are seen in the distance towards the west, and towards the north the view of the sea is bounded by lofty mountains, apparently forming majestic ramparts for the defence of the coast, and beyond which, in clear weather, may be seen the peak of Snowdon, towering above the rest. The appearance of the town, as viewed from the sea, is peculiarly romantic: the houses, rising in successive tiers from the base nearly to the summit, are scattered along the brow of the hill, which is a barren rock, and assume a character singularly picturesque.'
Comment by Marc Rees on November 20, 2009 at 6:38

This how I would like the 'Siop Story'/'Story Shop' to resemble. With the lens based artist Holly Davey and myself as shop keepers

Members (98)

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service