Resources: A Creative Curriculum

This is a group for anyone working with young people; a platform for you to share your ideas, activities and lesson plans created by you; if you happen to use NTW shows as your initial stimulus, then even better!  We are looking for fresh, innovative ideas with creativity at its heart, no matter what the subject area.  If you have any exemplar work of which you are particularly proud, any videos or audio of your pupils engaged in exciting creative activities then please include it here also.   We look forward to hearing your amazing ideas! 

• Bill Hamblett

We have an amazing teaching resource it is in Welsh and English called Cofia Pysgota Remember fishing and was produced by Small World Theatre. The children were actively involved in the filming and interviewing for this resource as well as devising questions . The fishing industry in our coastal regions is under stress and ways of life under threat  I hope you are interested even though our process and production was not inspired by an NTW show but developed through our own practice applied both across Wales and internationally. It is available soon online for teachers and home schooled educators, Access it Cofia Pysgota.org

• Naomi Chiffi

That's a great start to this group - many thanks Bill, I look forward to viewing it.  Is it already available online?

• Bill Hamblett

Hi Naomi,

Yes it is online now at  http://cofiapysgota.org

• Naomi Chiffi

Excellent, thanks Bill.  See you later this afternoon

• Naomi Chiffi

Hi all, thank you for joining - please don't forget to use this space as a platform for any creative ideas you have for working with young people - any resources you have created or currently use or any projects you have in mind for the future.  This is a space to share ideas and for any teachers who are currently unsure about how to include 'creativity' in their lessons to ask advice of artists and arts practitioners. Diolch!   

• Naomi Chiffi

Hi all, 
    Please take a look at these fantastic resources - thanks to Rhiannon for sharing: 
    NEW THEATRE ON IPLAYER FOR SCHOOLS AND COLLEGES
    Two outstanding new plays made by and for young people are available to view on BBC iPlayer as part of Live from Television Centre.

Both plays are theatrical, bold explorations of what it means to be a teenager in 2015 - and can be seen for FREE for a limited time only.  They're a great way to watch live theatre without leaving your classroom!

NO GUTS, NO HEART, NO GLORY is based on interviews with Muslim female boxers and is about being brave, determined and yourself. It challenges stereotypes and is a positive, unexpected representation of young Muslim women in a world and media which often has very limited representations of the Muslim community. 

Curriculum links: Drama, Citizenship, RE, English
    WATCH NOW (skip to to 01:00)

BRAINSTORM is a thrilling exploration of the science behind adolescent brain development, drawing upon life experiences of the cast aged 14-19 and made in collaboration with leading cognitive neuroscientist Professor Sarah-Jayne Blakemore.

Curriculum links: Drama, Science, Citizenship, English
  • Rosemary Anne Brown

Dissertation Theatre In Education Project

I am currently studying in Glyndwr university. I am creating a theatre in education show on teaching young children the welsh language. I was wondering if anyone would be interested to see the performance and if so please imbox me and I'll let you know more details. 
  • Naomi Chiffi

Please remember that if anyone has any creative content they wish to share here, please do so!  We are looking for lesson plans, examples of work, any ideas that you want might want some input on - all are welcome.  

• Naomi Chiffi

https://schoolsonline.britishcouncil.org/find-classroom-resources

Some good resources here to help young people learn about different cultures.

• Naomi Chiffi

This is certainly worth watching!

Changing Education Paradigms. A TED talk by Sir Ken Robinson about why creativity in schools is important.

www.ted.com/talks/ken_robinson_changing_education_paradigms

• Naomi Chiffi

I am currently reading a brilliant book by Michael Rosen called "How to be your child's (and your own) best teacher" - a must read for any teacher, parent, human being...

• Naomi Chiffi

f you are free, please come along to Cardiff Bay this Saturday where we will, as part of the amazing BDP Senedd event, be showing a short film about young people's educational experiences and furthering our Rethinking Education discussion.  We have interviewed pupils from Ocean Park Academy in Splott, Bryn Hafren School in Barry, Mount Stuart Square Primary in Cardiff Bay, Bridgend Home Education Network in Tondu, Castle School in Pembrokeshire, Penrhos Centre in Colwyn Bay and Mess up the Mess Theatre Company in Ammanford. They have each answered questions about what matters most to them when it comes to their education and about what they believe NTW could do for them.  It makes interesting viewing and will help to add to our discussion.  It's quite startling to see how many of them feel that levels and grades are the most important thing about education...

We are so grateful to each of the enthusiastic and engaging participants and to all of their schools, learning centres and parents for their support.  The film will be shown in the Pier Head building at 4pm on Saturday and will later be made available online.   

• Guy O'Donnell

Thanks Naomi, sounds really interesting. Did you see the launch of the new ACW 'Experiencing the Arts Fund' yesterday?  May be of interest to your network. 

Our aim is to provide children and young people with opportunities to engage with the arts and cultural activities as a routine part of their wider learning experience.

Experiencing the Arts is a two-strand scheme that we believe will make a big impact on the learning experiences of our young people, wherever they live in Wales.

http://www.arts.wales/what-we-do/creative-learning/the-all-wales-ar...

• Naomi Chiffi

There are so many ways that young people can get involved with City of the Unexpected over the coming months - please have a look at the link below and forward to anyone you think may be interested - it's going to be amazing!

School_RD_English.pdf

Ysgol_RD_Cymraeg.pdf  

• Naomi Chiffi

Our next show, Before I Leave, will be a great experience for anyone age 14+ and we will be hosting post-show talks at the performances on 2nd and 8th of June.  If anyone is interested in bringing school or home-educated groups along and would like a backstage tour, please do let me know.  Also, don't forget that you can now apply for the 'Go and See' fund to help with costs - as part of the Lead Creative Schools Scheme, the Arts Council of Wales' new funding stream will allow schools to apply for small one-off grants of up to £1,000 to fund visits to arts events in galleries, theatres, arts centres and other venues.

• Bill Hamblett

Hi all We have just performed our latest show The Lightning  Path with great music and stunning animation, another one for a go an see grant I hope. We will be generating a teaching resources based on the show very soon.

here is a link to more info on Saturday's show

http://smallworld.org.uk/programme/event.php?s=2016-04-09-the-light...

• Bill Hamblett

By the way Naomi you say "Before I Leave"  just what part of the many things you do are you are leaving ?

• Naomi Chiffi

If you are a teacher or work with young people and would be interested in some scripts to help creatively engage with your groups, then please do get in touch as we have scripts available which we would be happy to donate to you.   We currently have copies of The Dark Philosophers based on the stories of Gwyn Thomas and adapted by Carl Grose as well as A Provinicial Life, by Peter Gill and based on the work of Anton Chekhov.  If you would be interested, just let us know. 

• Naomi Chiffi

Hi Bill!  When I said "Before I Leave" I was referring to the play rather than my employment status...:)

• Thomas Dillon

I'd like to mention the online resource we have created at the World Intellectual Property Organization on respect for copyright.

www.respectforcopyright.org is a set of teaching tools that we developed with Ian Wall of The Film House. If anyone wants to adapt the materials in some way (e.g., a Welsh language version), they are welcome to get in touch.

We are working on a similar resource on trade marks, which should be finished by the end of March 2017.

• Zoe Munn

Arts Active will be holding an Artist's Fair and Regional Network Event for A2:Connect Arts and Education Network Central and South area at the beginning of April. Its an event designed to showcase artists and arts organisations who work in schools and to build connections and generate engagement within the sector. Among the delegates will be headteachers, creative agents, arts development staff and other arts professionals involved in bringing artists into schools. 

The free event will be at Cyfarthfa High School on 5th April. There will be opportunities to deliver workshops which can be observed by delegates, a trade fair in the main hall where artists and arts organisations will have stalls to showcase their work with schools, and then a Regional Network Meeting with a panel led discussion, and some Pecha Kucha style artists presentations.
    Call out for artists attached Artists Callout A2ConnectArtistsFair.pdf
    please share with anyone who might be interested.
    Booking for delegates is HERE all welcome!
    Any queries please contact zoe@artsactive.org.uk
    Thanks!
  • Naomi Chiffi

Words That Burn is Amnesty International's new educational resource - a poetry and protest pack that is simply brilliant! Teachers, pupils, parents, everyone - use it!

Mae Words That Burn yn adnodd addysg newydd Amnesty International - prosiect bendigedig barddoniaeth a phrotest! Athrawon, ddisgyblion, rhieni, pawb - defnyddiwch!

https://www.amnesty.org.uk/…/words-burn-explore-human-right…

• Naomi Chiffi

We have a very exciting opportunity for a Creative Assistant to work with NTW TEAM on our latest TEAM Education project - this time we will be working with a school in Pembrokeshire. Please check out my blog post if you would like to find out more!

Mae gyda ni cyfle gwych am Cynorthwyyd Creadigol i weithio gyda NTW TEAM ar ein prosiect TEAM Addysg diweddaraf - y tro yma fe fyddwn ni yn gweithio gyda ysgol yn Sir Benfro. Edrychwch ar fy nhudalen blog os hoffech ragor o wybodaeth!

• Naomi Chiffi

Check out this brilliant training opportunity from our friends at Amnesty International.

This is a fantastic CPD course for anyone with a passion for teaching the next generation about human rights.

Become an Amnesty Teacher or Advisor

Do you know a teacher with a passion for human rights? Let them know about Amnesty International’s Continuing Professional Development programme to become a certified Amnesty Teacher. Over 3 training days, they can explore exciting new resources, tools and methods to deliver human rights education in their classroom and wider school community. Find out more here and apply here.  

Are you an experienced human rights teacher? Lend your skills and wisdom to Amnesty’s Teacher Advisory Group. Through termly meetings and online discussion, help them to develop the Amnesty Teacher Programme and better support teachers to teach human rights. Email Amnesty to find out more.