Before I Leave

Here you can keep up to date with Before I Leave, plus be one of the first to see our I'll Sing this Song digital resource.

See Before I Leave at Sherman Theatre, Cardiff from Friday 27 May - Saturday 11 June

Find out more about the show here

Load Previous Comments
  • Paul Thomas | Bwtîc

“THOSE DAYS LIVE FOREVER, FOUND TREASURE THAT WE’LL NEVER SURRENDER”

Those words, written by our friends at Ty Hapus for the chorus to our song, sum it up perfectly.

From the very first session people were so welcoming, happy to share their stories and their music with us, and generous in allowing us to share ours in return. There’s been a lot of laughter along the way, many cups of tea, tears of joy and some of remembrance.

When reviewing the words Patrick had worked with people writing, it became clear to us that these needed to become songs. I spent a very long weekend struggling to come up with music for the first song. I couldn’t get anything to work. Nothing sounded right. Then late Sunday night, exhausted, I stopped trying. I sat back and thought about the people who had written those fantastic words, the characters in the group and the fun we were having in our sessions. The music all but wrote itself after that.

Music is incredibly powerful. It bypasses the intellect and heads straight for the emotions. We should never underestimate what a good sing can do for our wellbeing. I have been constantly reminded of this throughout the ‘I’ll Sing this Song’ project. Thank you to all the group members, their families, volunteers and staff for this valuable lesson. It’s also been much more than reminiscing about the past; it’s been about really making the most of the present, connecting with each other through song and sharing our songs with pride.

BEN TINNISWOOD

• Paul Thomas | Bwtîc

“THE BEFORE I LEAVE SONG WILL REVERBERATE ON AND ON…”

We set out to be an echo of the Before I Leave performance; with the aim of helping ‘the words live’. Spreading the song and the sentiment of the play with the support of those at the heart of its story. Embracing the power of song and its ability to stimulate emotions, enhance connections and invigorate a community. Each refrain was greeted with such fervour, energy and enthusiasm; a welcoming cast of diverse characters, worthy of any script. Each visit reassuring that with support, people with Dementia can and do take an active and positive role in life. Evidence that its not time to hide away from the subject, its time to sing…

The I’ll Sing this Song project will continue its journey online. Taking the form of an iPad app and digital resource that will make the very most of the NTW online community. A tool kit for other groups, choirs and schools to follow in our path, to undertake the process and engage with the subject. A resource not only to help those living with dementia, but for a population in need of a greater understanding of the condition.

Users will be encouraged to interact with the material already created and participate themselves by uploading videos and images of their own sessions, performances and memories. This contributor content, from all over Wales, the UK and beyond, will then in turn help encourage others. Amplifying our voice, resonating as one, making further connections and building even stronger links together; holding on tight to our past and our present.

PAUL THOMAS

• Paul Thomas | Bwtîc