James Doyle-Roberts

Male

United Kingdom

Profile Information:

What I do:
My nature is as a collaborator in the crossover between circus, theatre and dance, as a director/devisor, technical and movement advisor and (sometimes) performer.When I pack my bag in the morning, it usually contains Lycra, harnesses and spanners.In 2009, I founded Citrus Arts in partnership with Bridie Doyle-Roberts.
A little more about me:
James’ first success in the arts was when he shared the title of Under 16’s Welsh Breakdance Champion with his brother in 1984. After training as a TV & Radio Producer in Salford and at BBC North, he returned to his passion for live performance when he began a long (and current), professional association with Walk The Plank; he was soon chosen from 3,000 applicants to be an Aerial Circus Trainee in preparation for the Millennium Dome central arena show created by Peter Gabriel and Mark Fisher for the year 2000 celebrations.
After 3 years of training and performing for the Millennium Dome project he became a founder member of The Generating Company, and developed new ways to combine contemporary circus with physical theatre when he was taken under the wings of two Complicité founder members Kathryn Hunter & Marcello Magni to work with them in creating a new character ‘The Duck’ for a modern adaptation of Aristophanes’ “The Birds” at the National Theatre. James’ contribution as the humble and quirky Duck is included in the current print version of this Classical Greek Comedy.
“James Roberts’ beautifully observed waddling Duck was the pick of the bunch” – Daily Mail review of ‘The Birds’
“That Duck was one of the best things I have ever seen on stage” – Sam Mendes, in conversation about ‘The Birds’
Since returning to his south Welsh roots to work with NoFitState Circus as part of their devising team, he co-founded Citrus Arts in 2009 with his wife Bridie Doyle-Roberts, on a mission to create “thoughtful and progressive works which sit between Circus, Theatre & Dance”. Citrus Arts are recognised as a significant creative force in Wales by producers, theatres, local authorities and by Arts Council Wales who regularly support them.
James’ endeavours and development as a freelance Director, Producer and Theatrical Movement Director have led to employment as a Visiting Director at the National Centre for Circus Arts and at London Roundhouse’s Circus Fest, as Artistic Director of London Youth Circus and as Associate Director of Newport’s Big Splash festival. James is currently part of National Theatre Wales’ Emerging Directors group.
Projects I’m working on:
Co-production with The Roses Theatre in Tewkesbury: "Stags" (working title)
Two collaborations with Walk The Plank: WMC 10th Anniversary Celebrations and "Shipwrecks" (working title), planned as a series of participatory events around the coastline of Wales.
Co-Artistic Director of Citrus Arts in Pontypridd
Personal Website/CV:
http://www.citrusarts.co.uk
Twitter @username:
@JamesCitrusArts

Comment Wall:

Load Previous Comments
  • Peter Cox MBE

Hi James and Bride (NTW friends)

Looks like we're going to be sharing a creative journey shortly. I'm going to be involved in the Pontardawe Parklife Show with No Fit State - wearing my writer's hat and working alongside Orit and the team. Really looking forward to it. See you there. Peter.
  • Kat Jones

Hi James, 

Thank you for replying to my blog post - I'm really interesting in getting involved and should be available from the 19th March. I tried to send an email to the address that you gave me but it says that it's been rejected by the domain?!? so i'll try sending it again but if it doesn't reach you, please let me know some more about the production and how i can get involved - it sounds great.

Thanks,

Kat

• sean crowley

James

Interested in meeting you can you email me on sean.crowley@rwcmd.ac.uk

its the fastest way for me to communicate

Sean