Information

De Gabay

Two years ago a group of Somali poets from Butetown walked into the National Theatre Wales office and said they wanted to make a show...

Their award-winning story begins in Somalia and sails to Cardiff’s Tiger Bay.

On the 3rd March you are welcomed to Butetown to be part of their story. Join us for two parades, intimate house visits, a parliament of poetry and a beautiful finale across the harbour.

Supported by Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation.

De Gabay will take place on Sunday 3rd March 2013, in and around Butetown, Cardiff. 

BOOK NOW (external link).

Members: 64
Latest Activity: Jun 11, 2015

Discussion Forum

Step One Enterprise in the building for personal development

Self progression is essential for the kit we carry to improve and believe in hidden muted talent that needsto be unlocked, we started a course Monday the 5th November, so yesterday we had a good…Continue

Tags: Gabay, De, TEAM

Started by HASSAN PANERO Nov 6, 2012.

Twitter Activity #DeGabay

Loading… Loading feed

Comment Wall

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of De Gabay to add comments!

Comment by Salaban Mohamed (known as Yusuf) on November 22, 2011 at 6:26

well done to you Gavin for all this nice clips and comments on de gabay

Comment by Gavin Porter on November 22, 2011 at 5:43
Comment by Gavin Porter on November 22, 2011 at 1:57
Comment by Gavin Porter on November 17, 2011 at 6:24

Somali poets and rappers in a cipher on the streets of Minneapolis during the Somali Independence Day celebration.

Comment by Gavin Porter on November 17, 2011 at 1:13

Here are some photos from the 2nd IdeasExchange which was held in the Wales Millennium Centre on the 4th November.

Comment by Gavin Porter on November 14, 2011 at 22:31

Here is a podcast featuring the American Poet Ursula Rucker. It's a good introduction to her work, although if you search for her music online you may find some better tunes. Enjoy.

Comment by Gavin Porter on October 27, 2011 at 0:45

Here is some inspiration.

Comment by Gavin Porter on October 27, 2011 at 0:45

I agree with Amelia, De Gabay IS going to be BIG.

We are in a very privileged position to have the opportunity to work on such an ambitious project. I imagine there are people out there who would give their right arm to be in our shoes.

De Gabay will give us the opportunity to help shape or change the perception Somali's and the wider black and ethnic communities in the UK.

De Gabay is going to teach people about the rich tradition of Somali Poetry, give our poets an amazing platform to express themselves to the whole world.

Along the way there are going to be a lot of ups and downs, tears of sorrow and joy. But we shouldn't that we are making history (no pressure). 

Comment by Amelia Forsbrook on October 26, 2011 at 8:34

Hey Yusuf,

....just give me one moment to pull up my socks!...

My first understanding of De Gabay is that it is going to be BIG! I've already heard a couple of rumours involving camels (a central component of all the best hearsay, I feel) and I'm sure this degree of speculation and sense of excitement will accelerate right up to the event.

What I also know, from working on the Butetown Assembly and the De Gabay R&D in June, is that this production will be driven by a passionate and talented group of poets and will centre around a proper dynamic part of town.

I've certainly learnt a lot more about Butetown since NTW10 and it's great to see it getting the spotlight it deserves. I've already started to see Butetown discussed in the press a lot more (and not just by George Alagiah on last week's iPlayer). I can't wait to see what happens.

I better go before I accidentally generate any more rumours. Looking forward to catching up on the project next time I see you :)

Comment by Salaban Mohamed (known as Yusuf) on October 26, 2011 at 7:49
Hello gabay group how come there,s no comments being put on hear

Members (61)

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service