Graig Du Theatre Players

Information

Graig Du Theatre Players

The players are in the process of being formed. I will post further updates in the next few days. My intention is to form a community theatre group, with four probable performances a year, to encompass the work of playwrights in the Rhondda as a beginning. Original work will be encouraged. I would like to hear from any members, when I give out further information, if they would be willing to partake in the first staging. This will include actors, actresses, directors,who would be interested in supporting the idea to get valuable experience at the start of their careers. It would be a learning curve for me. I intend staging my play" Sorrow for my Sons" to publicize the group within the next few months. The full version of this play "Painting the Darkness" is to have a performance with the Fluellen Theatre in 2017. The play tells of the mysterious death of William Dillwyn Llewelyn, the eldest son of Sir John Dillwyn Llewelyn, who was found shot dead in the woods of the Penllergare estate on the afternoon of his engagement to Lord Dynevor's daughter in August 1893. The play explores the background to events, the inquest held the following day into his death, and William's friendship with J.Arthur Gibbs, the author of "A Cotswolds Village". I owe a huge debt of gratitude to the late June Lewis-Jones of Fairford, Glos, who helped me considerably with the three-act version of events. After answering my advertisement in her local newspaper, she was intrigued by my discoveries and, as she held Gibbs's diaries in her possession; she was also an author in her own right, she said she would aid me in any way as long as it did not jeopardize her work. June said that I had seen something in the unfolding events that no-one had realized before. Gibbs's strange requiem poem to his dead friend is well worth reading, as is his version, which I believe to be truthful, of the events that took place at Penllergare on the fateful day.

Members: 10
Latest Activity: Dec 11, 2018

Discussion Forum

Street Singers of the Valleys. Gwillym Pen Pwyll.

The one regret my father had while growing up in Dinas was that he did not pay much attention to the stories that were being told. The stories he did tell me were fascinating to the say the least,…Continue

Tags: Du, Theatre, Players, Graig, Pwyll

Started by Glyndwr Edwards Nov 21, 2015.

Unknown Stories from the Rhondda.

Ebenezer Chapel, pictured above before its demolition in the 1960s, was one of the…Continue

Started by Glyndwr Edwards Nov 17, 2015.

Comment Wall

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of Graig Du Theatre Players to add comments!

Comment by Glyndwr Edwards on April 17, 2016 at 6:19

That was a good discussion and many ideas were thought thoroughly through, Josh. Lessons should be learnt and things can proceed. What impressed more than anything was that people were not averse to airing their opinions.

Comment by Glyndwr Edwards on April 15, 2016 at 0:12

Tell Sian I will contact her sometime tomorrow. I am familiar with the film version and I did read the play by Sutton Vane years ago. There was a previous film version before "Between Two Worlds" and that may have been called by the play's original title: "Outward Bound". This was set just after the Great War. I cannot be postive on that. The remake still stands up with the good cast headed by Leslie Howard and John Garfield. There are possibilities here.

Comment by Josh Edwards on April 13, 2016 at 9:52

Good to hear from you at last. I had problems with Windows 10 upgrade this week and the start key would not work. Those problems you mentioned will not be permanent. By the way, Highlander was on the video tape, as someone had gone over the other film I mentioned, and I enjoyed it. Speak soon.

Comment by Glyndwr Edwards on April 13, 2016 at 8:54

Connections are quite right, Josh. There has been next to no internet connection since last week. As long as you keep the dream sequence in the story I am quite content. I have been having more problems with the writers who submitted work to the players. It is a case of nervousness more than anything else with how the work will be perceived. I see little problem as I keep telling them with the readings already gone. There are always people who will find fault because that is what the world is like. Good writing, as I keep mentioning, will attract actors and actresses who are willing to cut their teeth on a learning curve that will be the same for everyone. People still seem ignorant that there are few opportunities around with any theatre. Ten minutes and that's your lot. When was the last time that a written work was commissioned?  I am in no hurry as there is a lot of originality that has already been shown. I am as impatient as others and I shall stick to the premise of four shows a year. Will have more to say shortly.

Comment by Josh Edwards on April 13, 2016 at 7:48

I found a VHS copy of Salute of the Jugger. I will be interested to see this as it is the only film directed by David Peoples. Good cast, though

Comment by Josh Edwards on April 13, 2016 at 7:38

Just a quick word on the update on the storyboards for The Golden Apple Tree. The instruction Julie give me was inadequate. There was too much repetition, so I relied on the mime aspect to convey the symbolism. I do not know if this is agreeable and your connection is down again. If you do not like it, I will follow the story you gave me last week. Julie means well, but she and you see the story from a different viewpoint to what I do.

Comment by Glyndwr Edwards on April 4, 2016 at 8:49

The King in Yellow stands out, Josh!

Comment by Glyndwr Edwards on April 1, 2016 at 9:19

Thanks. There will be an update shortly.

Comment by M. B. Stelling on March 30, 2016 at 4:45

I will have to find the photographs I have and you can use whatever you wish on the pages. The photographs were good.

Comment by Ann Stelling on March 30, 2016 at 4:42

I was fascinated by the stories and pictures you put on the journal pages about Porth and Cymmer. Keep me posted.

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service